Windows 7 Services re-enabling themselves after reboot

Cyker

I'm trying to disable the Offline Files and Windows Search services vut they are somehow reverting themselves after a reboot.

I'm using the Services config (Right Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Apps -> Services) to stop and disable both, but after a reboot they're both back up and at their default service settings (Offline Files: Manual, Started - Windows Search: Automatic (Delayed), Started) as if I had done nothing!

Offline files isn't even enabled in Control->Sync Centre and I've tried to disable all the other indexing options where I can find them, but the services are still being loaded :(

Is this known behaviour? Is there a workaround?

I even tried hacking permissions for the registry keys for those services so that Everyone is Deny'd Set Value rights to the keys in both ControlSet001 and ControlSet002, and they STILL got overidden! :blink:

Edit: In fact after rebooting, it's locked out the keys and I had to take ownership of them to reset the permissions to get access to them... :crazy:

I'm trying to disable the Offline Files and Windows Search services

Not on a domain, just mostly stock Win7 Pro 64-bit on a Thinkpad X121e.

I haven't even installed much stuff on it yet (MSE, OpenVPN, WinRAR, TightVNC and some lightweight games like Cogs and Darwinia!)

I should note this is my first Win7 machine so I'm probably unaware of most of it's idiosyncrasies... :unsure:

Does anyone here want to try stopping disabling those services then rebooting to see if it happens to them too?

That way I could at least isolate whether it's a Win7 thing or something else (Maybe a Lenovo thing, although why Lenovo would enable that stuff...?)

Edit: Just tried to rename the SearchIndexer.exe but got blocked by something called TrustedInstaller??!

Edited by Cyker

Hah, cool. I have the x120e :)

Have had no trouble disabling services on my Thinkpad. But I also uninstalled all of the Thinkpad software first. Sometimes those proprietary packages will undo your changes to keep them running in a pre-configured state.

Nice! :) I'd actually prefer the x120e but they didn't do them with UK Keyboards!

This one is pretty cool, but is a bit bigger because the battery is flush and is missing the Insert key :(

I'm just trying to get the boot times down; I stuck an SSD in here and it still takes about a minute to boot (A far cry from the 10 seconds the SSD-equipped T420 gets in the Lenovo advert!) so something's not right!

Most of the (useless) services I've disabled have stayed disabled, but it's just these two that WON'T DIE!!

It's very perplexing; Never had this problem before except with viruses!

I haven't removed all the Lenovo stuff as it's been semi-useful (That and I need some of them so things like the WWAN and GPS work!) so I really hope the Lenovo softs aren't responsible, or tracking down the culprit will be nigh impossible!

I set them both to manual and rebooted. Offline didn't start but Search did. I was still able to stop it, of course. So I'd guess that the Thinkpad software is still a good candidate here. Have you also checked autoruns to ensure something else isn't doing config management?

I don't have any problem disabling the Offline Files service on my W520, been that way since re-built it. I actually use the Windows Search functionality regularly so I've left it running.

Be sure you have the latest firmware for your SSD, it can make a huge difference in performance on some of them.

• 1 month later...

Never figured why this was happening; Even tried locking them down in group policy but they were still getting enabled and my attempts at tracking the offending program that's restoring the services have been pretty fruitless.

Whatever is doing it seems to actually be recreating the service registry keys as I added a bunch of extra key+value marks inside the service keys and changed the recovery action on failure but on reboot all was reset and my extra keys were removed!

I have now bodged it because it was annoying me so much; Made a batch file:

@echo off
echo Attempting to disable Windows Search and Offline Files services...
sc config cscservice start= disabled
sc config wsearch start= disabled

net stop wsearch
net stop cscservice

but because Win7 apparently won't let me run a batch file with administrative rights on start up via the startup folders (Tried runas, tried the shortcut launch-with-admin rights trick; Both cases the batch file wasn't even executed) I had to add it as a scheduled task, triggered to run 30s after login and system startup.

Seems to have worked.... so farrr.... :unsure:

Edited by Cyker