Write Protect for USB drives

bristols

Now it's confirmed it was a spamer using your forum name!

I try only inside this forum to give help. It seems you don't understand!

It seems that it's you who doesn't understand. Please read this again:

It was a spammer, with user name "harrymark".

The spammer did not use my forum name. You saw something that was not there (first mistake) and then posted here what you thought you saw (second mistake).

Just check your facts next time; that's all ;)

Edited by bristols

Actually the only BIG "mistakes" myselfidem made are :whistle: :

1. posting without quoting the reference :realmad:
  2. actually trying the link posted by the spammer :w00t:

Attributing the post to bristols was simply a common mistake - it happens all the time, memory can be easily tricked - expecially since you (bristols) have a quite characteristic/visible avatar (whilst the Spammer had none - AFAICR) so that scrolling the thread is likely to have give such a false impression (supreimposing of images).

Anyway, everything is cool, it's a nice day, so let's go on, no need for reciprocal accusations of anything, OK? :)

jaclaz

I want to allow read-only access in Windows 2000 to an external USB hard drive.

There's a registry setting in Windows XP SP2 that allows this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies]
WriteProtect = 1

Unfortunately it has no effect in Windows 2000. I know of a setting that disables both write and read access, but that does not serve my purpose (to have read-only access).

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-write-access-to-usb-hard-disk-and-flash-key-drives/

The trick works in Windows XP SP2 and SP3, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and 2008.

I know of a setting that disables both write and read access, but that does not serve my purpose (to have read-only access).

http://www.mydigitallife.info/disable-usb-removable-mass-storage-device-drive-access-in-windows/

The change will take effect immediately to block any USB mass storage device such as USB flash drive, USB key and portable harddisk from been used in the system, while still allowing hardware components to work properly via USB connection. The hack works in most Windows operating system such as Windows Vista, XP, Windows Server 2008, 2003 and 2000.

:whistle:

:angel

Maybe just maybe, by somehow using on 2K some disk related drivers from XP (IF actually possible at all :unsure:):

http://reboot.pro/9844/page__st__17

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@myselfidem

Since you seem to misunderstand the use of the word "phantom" here, and since you don't seem to be able to move on and stop hijacking this thread now, I'll reply.

The word "phantom" here was not to cast doubt on whether or not there had been a post. It was meant to refer to the fact that, when I arrived at this topic yesterday, the post about which you were complaining, and which you had attributed to me, had gone (had been removed by a mod) and so I could not see it or check it. I did not at any time claim that you "invented" a story. You made a claim, that I had made a post, which in fact I had not made. Right?

Of course there was a post - jaclaz was able to post a screenshot of the post (as viewed from the forum), and identify the poster. No-one disputes that there was a post. I thought that the evidence jaclaz supplied was enough - to establish that there had been a post, and that it had not been made by me. But until he supplied that evidence, all there was for me to see was your claim that I had made a post - which I had not.

If you have nothing more to add to the topic of this thread, please stop posting here.

Thanks for wasting more of my time. Oh... what's that you say? Apology accepted. ;)

Edited by bristols