Write Protect for USB drives

bristols

I want to allow read-only access in Windows 2000 to an external USB hard drive.

There's a registry setting in Windows XP SP2 that allows this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies]
WriteProtect = 1

Unfortunately it has no effect in Windows 2000. I know of a setting that disables both write and read access, but that does not serve my purpose (to have read-only access).

The hard drive in question is an IDE drive. It has no physical write-protect switch (neither does the external HDD caddy) and, it seems, it does not allow write protection by configuration of its jumpers. As far as I can tell, the host machine provides no BIOS setting for it, either.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent registry tweak for Windows 2000 to the one above for Windows XP, or any other method to obtain read-only access? For example, is there some third-party software that will achieve it in Windows 2000? Perhaps there is some universal jumper setting that I'm not aware of. More radically, does anyone know if I can achieve it by modifying the IDE cable and / or blocking the connector pins?

Edited by bristols

Maybe you can try this registry key for USB drive:

WriteProtect.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies]
@="UserAccountControlSettings"
"WriteProtect"=dword:00000001

Edited by myselfidem

More radically, does anyone know if I can achieve it by modifying the IDE cable and / or blocking the connector pins?

I don't think that such a solution exists (by simply modifying the cable). :unsure:

I mean, in the forensic business, hardware suppliers have been making big bucks for years selling IDE write blockers ...

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Write_Blockers

Maybe, just maybe, depending on WHAT is your final goal, you could use a .iso image.

jaclaz

• 5 weeks later...

Next time I will quote his post!

Yes, this would be advised. :thumbup

bristols posted "today" an answer with incorrect link for MSFN and now this one doesn't appear!??

You have also received his answer, no?

No, what happened was that a SPAMmer posted on the thread (and there was a link in his post) that post was then removed by an Admin/Mod, probably you mistook that reply as if it was bristols'. :unsure:

jaclaz

Weird!! :ph34r:

bristols posted "today" an answer with incorrect link for MSFN and now this one doesn't appear!??

Just to confirm: I did not make any such post. The current post is the first I've made today.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this phantom post was posted from my account? Mods, could you please advise?

Can anyone confirm whether or not this phantom post was posted from my account? Mods, could you please advise?

Relax. :)

It was a spammer, with user name "harrymark".

I haven't a screenshot of his post, but this should be enough to tranquilize you.

jaclaz

post-25215-0-06077400-1322578705_thumb.j

It was a spammer, with user name "harrymark".

I haven't a screenshot of his post, but this should be enough to tranquilize you.

Truly, you have sedated me, jaclaz. :lol: Thanks.

@myselfidem: be more careful in future before you start making accusations, please.

Where do you see any accusations? :D

Relax!

Right there:

bristols posted "today" an answer

(...)

Take it easy and be quiet!

If only you could take your own advice, myselfidem :D

Edited by bristols