Trying to add Windows 2000 and usbohci.sys

I am trying to add Windows 2000 SP4 and when trying to install an error message saying that usbohci.sys is missing apears.

When adding Windows 2000, it is added as GENSP4 so maybe it is not being correctly detected as Windows 2000? As I understand usbohci.sys is part of the USB stack from XP foward.

I am trying to add Windows 2000 SP4 and when trying to install an error message saying that usbohci.sys is missing apears.

When adding Windows 2000, it is added as GENSP4 so maybe it is not being correctly detected as Windows 2000? As I understand usbohci.sys is part of the USB stack from XP foward.

I think that you should check this thread first:

(you are basically venturing in UNexplored ground)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

...When adding Windows 2000, it is added as GENSP4 so maybe it is not being correctly detected as Windows 2000?
Correct.

Look at these posts how to get going:

By the way which version of WinSetupFromUSB are you using?

@Jaclaz - installing windows 2000 from USB has been tested and confirmed working, except the cases when the expected strings determining version is 2000 are missing or messed up in txtsetup.sif. Using the program under 2000 has not been tested.

Thank you both for the feedback. I edited txtsetup.sif and added

wks_id = "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"

wks_id_vga = "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional [modo VGA]"

to the FIRST [string] entry.

Now it seems to work, I get a 20SP4 folder in WINSETUP and a "First part of Windows 2000 SP4 setup from partition 0" entry in winsetup.lst

The problem is that after the first part of the text mode setup, when it is loading drivers, I get a black screen and nothing more. It could a problem with the computer I am using, maybe its too new for Windows 2000. Will try to use an older computer and report back.

Thanks again for the help.

I am using WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta7 as I understand that is the newest version available.

Maybe there should be an information window right after pressing the GO button telling what is it about to do, and a cancel option there.

Can you zip and attach your txtsetup.sif file? In beta7 I think that issue was fixed, wonder what's in your file that it didn't recognize 2000 source.

The problem is that after the first part of the text mode setup, when it is loading drivers, I get a black screen and nothing more.

Do you get the black screen in Text mode once drivers are loaded, or after reboot and star t of GUI mode?

I am using WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta7 as I understand that is the newest version available.

Yep, it is.

Maybe there should be an information window right after pressing the GO button telling what is it about to do

There are lots of things happening in background, I have no idea how to add a simple, but descriptive enough window saying what's going to happen. Basically, it's going to add to USB flash/hard disk whatever was chosen in the options :rolleyes:

One may watch the status bar and/or select SHOW LOG which window shows a lot of detailed information what's exactly going on.

and a cancel option there
GO button becomes STOP once pressed. PAUSE button on the keyboard pauses the program.

Can you zip and attach your txtsetup.sif file? In beta7 I think that issue was fixed, wonder what's in your file that it didn't recognize 2000 source.

Done. I have already edited the files and copied the second STRINGS entries to the first STRINGS section. The strange thing is that 2000 PRO is recognized, but 2000 SRV is not.

Do you get the black screen in Text mode once drivers are loaded, or after reboot and star t of GUI mode?

The black screen is after loading text mode drivers, no reboot.

Anyway, I may just abandon this, unless you want more testing, since it is not really justified. The few computers I may need to install Windows 2000 on, probably will not boot from USB, will keep using the CD as always for Windows 2000.

TXTSETUP.ZIP

@Jaclaz - installing windows 2000 from USB has been tested and confirmed working, except the cases when the expected strings determining version is 2000 are missing or messed up in txtsetup.sif. Using the program under 2000 has not been tested.

Yep :).

But OP didn't specify under which OS it was run.... :ph34r: and in any case it wasn't tested as extensively as XP or later ;).

jaclaz

I am using WinSetupFromUSB on Windows 7. I guess we should not put more time into this, 2000 is almost dead anyway. I think I have only one customer still using it, in a couple of servers I haven't touched in about six years. He called the other day and it seems he is having some hardware problems. I will just use the original CDs he must still have somewhere :)

I am using WinSetupFromUSB on Windows 7. I guess we should not put more time into this, 2000 is almost dead anyway. I think I have only one customer still using it, in a couple of servers I haven't touched in about six years. He called the other day and it seems he is having some hardware problems. I will just use the original CDs he must still have somewhere :)

Well, the sad :( fact that people does not use it anymore much doesn't mean that it is dead.

I have a couple of servers and even a desktop (little more than a POS) running NT 4.00 allright since a few years, 24/7 with no downtime of *any* kind (only replaced over the years a couple PSU's.

As well I have a machine running 2K allright, still 24/7 since march or april 2003, with no problem whatsoever.

Originally 2K "suffered" by the hype MS put into the launch of XP (and by the short time after the release of 2K and before XP), which is actually very little more than a "bettered" 2K, only worse ;), so, originally there were not as many machines as there were - say - running 98, even because at the time Windows 2000 was advertised for professional use ONLY (home user were supposed to have Me :ph34r: instead).

Having a smaller user base it is only natural that very few people made it "survive" till today, but it's a pity.

jaclaz