Connecting a Windows 98 and Windows 7 through a network

KelvinTwister

I would hazard a guess that the router supports uPnP which Vista also supports. However, Windows 98 doesn't natively and wouldn't be broadcasting itself as such a device.

If the W98 machine isn't broadcasting itself, how come the W98 laptop can see it?

I want to say that WIn98 uses something that Win7 doesn't. NetBIOS maybe? :unsure: I can't remember exactly what.

More specifically this (a link within your link)...

Firewalls have to have some allowances for this (Local and Remote, depending on what you want to allow); Port 139 is specifically File Sharing. Played heck getting Symantec to play nice with everything/"everyone" (all 3 ports) plus "ping"...

Edited by submix8c

Oh I just remembered. On the Vista/7, if the Network Location is set to Public, you can't get to network shares. You would need to set it to Home (don't know if Work would... you know... work... :rolleyes: ), At least on Windows 7, if you are set to Public and try to go to a network share, a pop-up appears saying to enable File Sharing, which after doing so will change your Network Location. You can see your current setting in Network Connections, although if the PC is joined to a domain, it might say "domain" instead of "Work."

I want to say that WIn98 uses something that Win7 doesn't. NetBIOS maybe? :unsure: I can't remember exactly what.

BINGO! Thank you!!! That did the trick, W98 and Vista machines can now see each other. :)

I had tried enabling NetBIOS for IPv4 on the Vista laptop previously, but other settings have probably changed since then (I'll have to try remembering what).

I now have bidirectional access to files between my W98 laptop and my Vista laptop. I have unidirectional access between my W98 desktop and my Vista laptop (can access the W98 files from Vista, I'll need to investigate why it's not reciprocal as with the W98 laptop). Of course, I also have bidirectional access between the W98 desktop and W98 laptop (that's nothing new).

Joe.

PS#1. Correction : Further testing reveals that bidirectional communications between either W98 machine and the Vista laptop is problematic. Accessing anything from the Vista laptop on the W98 machines is unbelievably slow and sometimes results in an error, no doubt due to some internal timeouts. Accessing data from the W98 machines on the Vista laptop works normally.

PS#2. One of the changes made to the Vista configuration was in registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa :

"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000001

Other values I may have changed in the same registry key :

"NoLmHash"=dword:00000000

"disabledomaincreds"=dword:00000000

"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000

Edited by jds

Win2K/XP/2k3 How-To (for sharing between 9x and those) with a nice explanation. ;)

Bottom line, Win9x needs those ports (IPv4 only - NetBios over TCP/IP) for Sharing (in addition to UserID's/Passwords/MS-Networking/File+Printer Sharing), along with the same thing for the other OS. Ain't TCP/IP Communications wonderful?

Edited by submix8c

@Multibooter - "major finding"??? Heck, I said it would work! I guess the "missing pieces" was some of the other posters comments (thank them as I couldn't remember).

Now to "collect" it all into a single step-by-step post and Sticky it.

Edited by submix8c

• 4 months later...

Let's straighten this out (using some "loose" definitions/terms) -

Seven (or XP or Vista or Server 2k3/2k8) -

User-A and User-B defined

Signed on as User-A

Win9x (any flavor) -

User-B Defined (AFTER installing "Client for Microsoft Networks")

Signed on as User-B

Win9x does NOT have "ACL" since this is an NTFS-type "Sharing" facility ONLY. Shares between Win9x PC's by DEFAULT allow accesses (note READ-ONLY or FULL plus "Set a Password" under SHARING for given folder). It is NOT based upon User/Group Sign-On. ANY OS/USER can access the Share - Win9x could CARE LESS!

HOWEVER, on NTFS-type Systems, the Share Access MUST define WHICH Users/Groups, WHAT access for that User/Group, AND the Given User MUST have a Password set (REQUIRED). Interestingly, you need not be "signed on" to the Requesting computer (WHEN IT IS AN NTFS-TYPE SYSTEM) with a User/Password combo that is defined on the Sharing PC, but MUST have one defined on the Sharing PC to gain access (and then providing said User/Password combo when attempting access). The "Everyone" Group means "Everyone Defined on Said PC". NTFS-types DO CARE!

SO, in the Win9x System, "Client for Microsoft Networks" MUST be installed (in Control Panel->Network) AND used as "Primary Network Logon" AND a User/Password combination used that MUST MATCH that defined on the NTFS-type system ( see initial statements about User-B ).

If you don't believe me, install Win9x on a Virtual PC and try it as stated. Trust me, it works no other way... (this has been hashed before many times)

I can't seem to get it working. Need some help. I keep getting [You must supply a password to make this connection]

I got it working. Most of the information from google is misleading, only a bit was accurate.

...and are you going to tell us HOW EXACTLY you made this happen, or if you prefer WHAT EXACT bit was the correct one and WHAT other bits are misleading? :unsure:

jaclaz

...and are you going to tell us HOW EXACTLY you made this happen, or if you prefer WHAT EXACT bit was the correct one and WHAT other bits are misleading? :unsure:

jaclaz

Google is your friend. Its has all the answers, even if a lot of them are wrong. Just kidding :thumbup I'll post step by step instructions later.

On NT system:

* As UserAdmin, Define UserA with PwdA - log onto it once and log out (creates the Docs/Settings, etc)

* As, UserAdmin, make a SHARE and set UserA as one of users to access with whatever "rights"

On Win9x system

* "Client for Microsoft Networks" MUST be installed (in Control Panel->Network)

* AND used as "Primary Network Logon"

* AND UserA/PwdA as a User

(Somewhere) there will be a WorkGroup name - make sure they are the same. Also make sure the two connected PC's have the same Subnet defined AND that "auto detect" is set for IP so that the connections will "join" each other.

On Win9x, reboot and sign in as UserA/PwdA - don't have that user signed onto the NT system (can't sign on TWICE onto same PC).

EDIT! Post came afterward. Please let me know if what I posted matches what you did. It does work for me bi-directional.

Edited by submix8c

On Win9x system

* "Client for Microsoft Networks" MUST be installed (in Control Panel->Network)

* AND used as "Primary Network Logon"

* AND UserA/PwdA as a User

This is not mandatory. I used Client for Microsoft Networks and Windows Logon and they both worked.

Both directions was working for me. I even had Win 7 set to Send NTLMv2 response only. Refuse LM & NTLM and it was still working in both directions. I'm about to post the instrcutions. I was testing, making sure I got everything correct before I post. I don't want to give people the wrong instructions or information. @ submix8c, most of your instructions is needed so :thumbup to you.