Some small problems with Win 8.

Aloha

@xpclient

the compatibility things still applies. It tries to reduce the color depth only for the app and the color depth of the system still remains at 32Bits.

Well that's good to know. At least they didn't screw that one up. I have lost confidence in what Microsoft will touch (pun intended) :D and end up screwing completely.

You mean the Metro Screen?

No. I think he meant that when you start a Metro app that it insists on opening up full screen. That behavior is appropriate for a smartphone app, but not a desktop app with a 30" screen or perhaps a multi-screen setup. We're used to apps opening up into windows and being able to open several windows at once so you can see multiple apps at once in the windows and share data between the windows easily as you would expect to be able to do in an OS called ... wait for it ... Windows.

Cheers and Regards

OK, got it. Will not haunt him about this any more! I just can't help laughing to see how angry he was whenever he talked about using W8!

If I can sound your nick, I will easily remember it. Said this in the other thread but don't mind saying it here again: wish you both a nice weekend.

Aloha.

Edited by Aloha

Ha ha, then the word "hate" is not strong enough to express your feeling of W8, huh?

correct. Windows 8 is crap, bul*****, nonsense for me and my workflow and the second disaster in a row about how MS reacts to user feedback.

correct. Windows 8 is crap, bul*****, nonsense for me and my workflow.

Then why don't you create a topic to talk about your hatred for W8? I'm sure someone will post there wholeheartedly!

OK, seriously now. I think a W8 on VM never works so well as a W8 installed directly on a partition/disk. Is this right or wrong, Andre?

Okay, I'm just kidding! It doesn't count!

Any idea about what I asked him, Bphlpt?

a W8 on VM never works so well as a W8 installed directly on a partition/disk. Is this right or wrong?

I would be glad to offer my opinion, but I can't address this specific question because I'm perfectly happy with Win7. After all that I've read, and after horror stories from friends that have tried it, I have no interest in even bothering to try Win8 in its present form. Why should I? It offers nothing I need that I don't already have access to. It's free to try? Great. Free annoyances. No thanks. IF they make some changes before it gets to RTM stage then I MIGHT try to run it on a VM myself, but from what I've seen so far I seriously doubt it. I'll let everybody else be the guinea pigs. Maybe when they release SP1. Or I'll skip it entirely. I've worked with computers in one way or another since 1973. Since I worked with them every day, I felt no need to have one of my own for the longest time. I finally got one in 1998. I used Win98 for a couple of years, moved to Win2K which I stayed with until about four years ago or so, then went to XP for a couple of years. I moved to Win7 about 2 years ago and I must say that I have found the overall experience with Win7 better than the rest in all ways from initial installation, program and hardware compatibility, speed, look, etc. I finally moved to x64 just this year, not out of any particular need but felt the technology had finally matured enough I was willing to give it a try. LOL No problems so far. I know that a lot of it is what you get used to and/or personal preference, but I'm very happy. There is no hardware or software reason requiring me to move to Win8. There's nothing I can't do in Win7 that I need to do, and if there was I know lots of folks that can help me, including the ones here at MSFN along with other sites I frequent. I try to keep up with what's going on with past, current, and future versions of MS OS, but I do not see any reason to subject myself to the abuse that Win8 appears to be for extraordinarily little reward, none of which is really needed.

As to the general question if an OS works as well on VM as one installed on actual hardware, the current generation of VMs available today do a pretty good job on today's hardware from what I have seen. The differences in operation haven't been enough to cause an experience difference bad enough to change one's opinion of the OS that is installed. It might be a little slower, but that's to be expected when doing anything virtually, and today's hardware has made the speed penalty very slight. If the experience of Win8 in a VM is noticeably worse than that on actual hardware I would tend to chalk that up to yet one more thing that Win8 has managed to "break".

I think we all agree there are a few, a VERY few things that might be an improvement in Win8 compared to Win7. But they are not anything that we can't live without or can't get from third party software, and they do not make up for the features that have been removed or changed in such a way to make what we want to do more difficult if not impossible. Not to mention things that have been added that we don't want or need, such as Metro. So it is not something we feel is worth the money for us to purchase or to recommend that others purchase for home or business use, at least not for either desktop or laptop use. It might very well be good for tablets, good enough to be worth the money is another question, but I don't know a single person who owns a tablet. I know plenty that own a smart phone, not that I want one necessarily, I don't even have a cell phone at all, (MAYBE next year), but no tablets.

You might want to take the advice similar to what you suggested to Andre and start your own thread for folks that like Win8. I'm sure MS hopes that there are many like you, and I might be surprised, but I have a feeling you will be very lonely there.

Cheers and Regards

OT - If it's easier, you are more than welcome to just call me BP. It's easier to "say" and remember.

Edited by bphlpt

BP,

When I first used W7 I missed the toolbar buttons (Copy, Cut, Delete, Paste and so on) of the explorer on XP so much! I had to install Classic Shell so that I could use the Explorer in a more comfortable way. Then after 2 weeks of using only W7, I found out I prefer it to XP.

When I first tried W8 something similar happened again. I was so confused with a Windows without the Start Menu. Whatever on the computer I wanted to access, I had to reach them through the Explorer only. I didn't get used to searching them on the Metro at that time. The Explorer with the Ribbon was good enough for me to know more about W8. Then after a week I decided to use it only! I still have to boot into W7 once in a while, but just to make sure that a game or an application which can't run on W8 can run faultlessly on W7. I still choose to use W8 after that checking because to my own opinion, using it is more enjoyable than using W7.

Thanks a lot for your answer about the comparison between an OS on the VM and that on an actual hard disk. I have no intention to create a thread for those who like W8 because I already admitted I was the only here agreeable to this cursed W8.

PS. glad that I can call you BP!

LOL As much as I like Win7, that doesn't mean I like it as it comes off the shelf. I use Classic Shell for it's Start Menu and Explorer enhancements, and Everything for search. I don't use IE unless I have to, I use Iron (a Chrome variant) instead. Yes I know that all of those could be used on Win8 as well, and I would absolutely have to in order to even begin to tolerate Win8, but they still wouldn't overcome the other shortcomings and annoyances to make it worth my time to bother to try.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Then why don't you create a topic to talk about your hatred for W8? I'm sure someone will post there wholeheartedly!

I've already told several times what my issues with metro are. Fullscreen and terrible broken font rendering which causes headache all the time. And in Win7 Sinofsky ignored all feedback and in Win8 the same happens again.

I think a W8 on VM never works so well as a W8 installed directly on a partition/disk.

I've also installed Win8 on a real hardware to test features like Hybridboot / fast startup ;):whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andrea, I am using W8 Release Preview now. I'm afraid there are some more coming problems!

The first problem I have to deal with is rather annoying! That is when I browse through a folder of pictures, scroll down a lot then choose a pic and set it as the background wallpaper. Then the scroll bar jumps to the top of the folder immediately right after that image is applied. This also means, if I change my mind and want to choose another one to set it as the wallpaper and it is near to the bottom of the folder, I will have to scroll the mouse all the way down again! I guess there isn't a solution for this problem.

I have a good news, however. It's fantastic that the old game I couldn't play on W8 CP now can run fine on W8 RP! Perhaps I'll remove W8 CP in a few days.

• 1 month later...

Another automatic problem! The wallpaper position of the Desktop Background keeps changing to Center although I've set it to Fill many times! Don't know how to stop this at all!