Some small problems with Win 8.

Aloha

OK, I've installed Windows Consumer Preview and Firefox works perfect! I am pleased that the problem related to the mouse scrolling has gone. And what's more? When I plug a USB stick into my computer, the icon to remove it safely is there on the system tray. How nice! I think I love this version of W8!

And the About Windows says I can use WCP till January 2013.

Edit: remove the image.

Edited by Aloha

• 1 month later...

I happened to run an old game and had this error:

WaTr0.jpg

I clicked OK then this popped up:

ghJdc.jpg

This game runs fine on W7. I wonder if there is a way to force the card to support 800x600 resolution so that I can play this game without having to boot into W7. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

You mean it isn't related to the resolution? Not sure why it can run OK on W7. I believe the color settings there is always set to 32bit. I don't remember whether I ever played this game or not during the time I was using W8DP. I happened to run it just two days ago and was surprised to have those error warnings.

Well, I guess W7 is the best solution if I really want to play this game again. Thanks for replying, MagicAndre.

You mean it isn't related to the resolution?

correct, the 32Bit color depth is the issue. This is a new requirement of Windows 8. You can read this in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows Server 8 Beta Compatibility Cookbook

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848042%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

System color depth

Desktop Composition cannot run unless the color depth is set to 32 bits per pixel. Unlike Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview does not support color depth other than 32 bits per pixel. The user can no longer change the color depth of the system by using the control panel.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

OK, I've just read the article. Quite interesting! In some way it explains why I have no trouble in running this game on W7.

Thanks again for the link.

Edited by Aloha

• 4 weeks later...

If all apps must support 32-bit color depth, I wonder why the Compatibility tab still has a "Reduced color mode" checkbox. It doesn't seem to have any effect either. Maybe a leftover they forgot to clean up?

Edited by xpclient

Do you work on W8 everyday, Andre? It seems to me that you don't like it at all! But you know most of the problems related to W8 and have answers for them. Do you ever use it for the whole day without booting into any other OS? Just a little curious!

Btw, the problem about the Homegroup icon has never happened since I installed W8CP. It's quite good.

And you seem to hate W8 through your posts too!

I wonder if people who don't like W8 or try to show others that they don't like W8 have ever used it long enough to hate it as they mentioned a lot!!!

I don't use it all the time. I boot to Win8 (VM) only 1-2 times per month. I don't like this Metro crap. It slows down my workflow dramatically :realmad:

@xpclient

the compatibility things still applies. It tries to reduce the color depth only for the app and the color depth of the system still remains at 32Bits.

I don't use it all the time. I boot to Win8 (VM) only 1-2 times per month.

Uh oh! I expected you would say you used it three times a week! It's OK, however. You'll still know the answers to my problems, will you?

But, do you think you will change your mind if you spend more time on W8? I even think you'll like it when you decide to use it everyday!

Edited by Aloha

But, do you think you will change your mind if you spend more time on W8? I even think you'll like it when you decide to use it everyday!

NO, I'll never like this mix of 2 UIs merged into 1. My main issue is this horrible font rendering of Metro (caused by the crappy IE9/10 Direct2D rendering) which is malicious injury. This hurts my eyes so dramatically.

I always feel this:

orangeessenbig.jpg

Also that Metro apps are fullscreen is a cause why I'll NEVER use metro apps.

Ha ha, then the word "hate" is not strong enough to express your feeling of W8, huh? To tell you the truth, I nearly screamed out when I booted into W8 for the first time! Just wanted to restart to W7 immediately. But I didn't. It took me time to get used to the missing Start Menu. It's around 7 months I've been using W8, and only W8. And you know what? Nowadays, I hate it if I have to boot into W7 for some trivial reasons.

Also that Metro apps are fullscreen is a cause why I'll NEVER use metro apps.

You mean the Metro Screen? I don't like it either and I always choose Desktop to go on. I don't find it annoying at all.

Hmm... and don't post ugly comics again, please!