Some small problems with Win 8.

Aloha

Hi everyone,

1/ I installed Win 8 around a month ago. After the installation, I didn't like the metro start and it was hard to manage things without the old desktop so I turned it off, using Metro UI Tweaker. I chose the option to disable the Metro Start Menu only. Two weeks later I decided to turn it on again with the same tool, but it wouldn't do! It's not a big problem at all but recently I find out the Task Manager works so weird. It takes nearly 15s to display on the screen! And it looks old just like the one on Win 7. Does anyone know anything about the problem? Is there any way to take back the new task manager without reinstalling Win 8?

2/ My favorite browser is Maxthon but recently I try using Firefox as well. When I scroll the mouse wheel, sometimes it zooms out/in the text on the webs instead of scrolling down/up the web page! Then I have to click and drag the scroll bar. I find it very annoying. I tried an older version of Firefox but it didn't help. I wonder if there is anything else I can try to stop the problem. Thanks in advance for any reply.

when you delete the shsxs.dll and try to satrt the TM the new TM crashes first and next the new is loaded. There is a simple workaround. Set the RPEnabled value in the registry to 2. This sets the the license value SLC-Component-RP-02 (IsLicenseTierActive) and this disables Metro but leave Ribbons in Explorer, new copy dialogs, file replace dialogs enabled.

Hi MagicAndre, thanks for replying.

I search for RPEnabled in the registry and I have 4 keys in all. They are located in the following paths:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

The values were all set to 1. I changed all of them to 2 as you said, restarted my computer, and I couldn't have the TM I wanted.

I also lost the ribbon and the automatic in Window color and appearance, which I can't stand at all! I've already changed all the values to 1 again. It seems to me that Win 8 doesn't allow users to change anything in the registry! It's OK, however. I don't have the new looking Task Manager but I still have some other features such as the explorer ribbon, auto color theme to match the wallpapers, and new copy/move/delete dialogs...

(Hey, I like the automatic color for themes so much! When I first knew about it, I kept changing the desktop wallpaper again and again just to see how it tint the theme over and over!)

As for the problem with Firefox, I hope someone who is using it on Win 8 can tell me whether they have the same problem or not. I will try installing another old version to see what will happen.

Thank you again.

Edit: removing the image

Edited by Aloha

I tried installing Firefox 6, 5, 4, and then 3 but the scrolling problem still remains. This doesn't happen with IE or Maxthon. And it doesn't happen when I use Firefox on Win 7. How vexing!

I wonder if there is a tweaker that can create the Take Ownership command on the context menu.

Edited by Aloha

Well, I used the Refresh function and I've already got them back, both Metro Start and the new Task Manager. But I have to re-install some applications too. It took plenty of time, of course.

As for Taking Ownership, I just found something helpful here:

http://www.intowindows.com/take-ownership-of-files-and-folders-in-windows-8/

PS. It's terrible that I post here by myself!

Maybe some updates has changed the registry and influenced the way it works.

I don't dare to turn off the Metro Start any more! I just choose to use the desktop the minute my computer starts and everything displays on the screen. It's better now.

• 4 weeks later...

The icon of any USB stick that I plug into my computer doesn't display on the system tray. When I have finished doing with the USB, I have to right click on it in the explorer then choose Eject there.

It's fine. But it's finer if I have the icon show on the tray so that I can quickly choose to remove it safely. If I just simply pull it out, does it do anything harmful to the files on the stick?

My computer has dual boot. And there isn't such a problem when I am using Win 7. Is there anything I can do to solve this? Thanks for any reply.

Hi Thydreamwalker,

Thanks for replying. I set all of them are on. But the pendrive icon doesn't display during the time it is plugged in the USB port. Only when I choose "Eject" from the context menu of Explorer then I can see the icon pop up shortly, saying that it is safe to remove the drive now.

----------------------------

Edit: removed picture

Edited by Aloha

• 1 month later...

OK, just want to tell some more problems!

Sometimes when I go to the desktop, there is an icon of Homegroup jumping out from nowhere. I can't delete or rename it. I can move it around on the desktop only. If I log off and then log on again, it's gone. I don't know what made such a weird problem and it has happened twice.

I also notice that Control Panel is always viewed by Category although I have changed it to Small/Large Icons. It will automatically turn back to Category view the next time I open it. This doesn't happen on W7 or XP for sure.

Finally, if I open Explorer, click on File > Help > About Windows it says nothing about the expiration . But if I view Windows version by opening Run and typing "winver", it says the evaluation copy will expire on 12 March 2012.Too bad, I thought it would last longer!

Edited by Aloha

having a FREE OS for 6-8months isn't enough?

I'd hardly call this a "free" OS. It's not actually meant to run on a "production" PC like that (besides, it's way too buggy IMO), it's for developers to start testing their code on it early and to start developing metro apps, etc. Hence the "developer preview" name. The beta is what they'd expect early adopters to try first (it'll be similarly time-bombed). That version will be feature complete and reasonably stable, and after a few "late" bugfixes it'll be a RC, then RTM (probably late 2012). I for one, won't be developing for Metro (more like disabling it altogether)

Yes, becuase having a FREE OS for 6-8months isn't enough?

I didn't try Win 7 during its beta time, so I don't know for how long the evalution lasted. I really like WDP and hope to use it for a little longer! The only thing I don't like about it is the Metro Start, all other new features are nice, especially the automatic color theme.