Copy-proof' CDs cracked with marker pen

LONDON (Reuters) -- Technology buffs have cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

Internet newsgroups have been circulating news of the discovery for the past week, and in typical newsgroup style, users have pilloried Sony for deploying "hi-tech" copy protection that can be defeated by paying a visit to a stationery store.

"I wonder what type of copy protection will come next?" one posting on alt.music.prince read. "Maybe they'll ban markers."

:):rolleyes:

Read full story

lmfao!!!! thing is now its all over the net... they will start spreading the tracks accross the disc, or integrating it into the files themselves :rolleyes:

is this cactus protection? it can be bypassed by putting the cd in a cd player and then plugging the cd player directly into the sound card heh

i saw shakira in the stores recently with the warning that it might not play in some cd players and WILL NOT play in home computers.

so i went and d/l it and gave everyone i knew who wanted it a copy, out of principle.

this just cracks me up.. like microsofts uncrackable protection, and we all know how and when [b:7b4752cab9]that[/b:7b4752cab9] was cracked :)