Lenovo XP T520 - Thinkpad Modem Adapter Issue

Redhatcc

What I currently have is a Lenovo T520 laptop, and all the drivers install sucessfully except the modem. The way we are building our images we need sysprep to install the drivers for us, so, I currently have the correct driver (I believe) and when I install by hand it it works. But when sysprep installs the driver for me during the initial setup I always have this one driver with an exclamation point in device manager.

ThinkPad Modem Adapter

When I right click on it and click properties I get can see this error.

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

I can uninstall this driver, restart the computer, the computer will autodetect this driver like normal and install the drivers without having the exclamation point error. So at this point it is working.

But what I need is for it to install correctly the first time when sysprep does it. I have no clue what is causing it not to install correctly then. But by uninstalling the driver, restarting, and windows will reinstall the driver and it works correctly without error after then.

Here is some more information:

ThinkPad Modem Adapter

Location: Location 65535 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus)

Device Instance ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_2C06&SUBSYS_17AA2122&​REV_1000\4&1A47259F&0&0102

Driver Details:

C:\Program Files\CONEXANT\CNXT_MODEM_HDA_HSF\UIU32m.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HSF_CNXT.sys

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HSF_DPV.sys

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HSFHWAZL.sys

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HSFProf.cty

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\mdmxsdk.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\modem.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdmxsdk.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32\UCI32M42.dll

Driver Provider: Conexant Systems

Driver Date: 8/20/2009

Driver Version: 7.80.5.50

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

What about checking Service Start settings in the Registry?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123/en-us

Code 32

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Cause

The start type for this driver is set to disabled in the registry.

Recommended resolutions

Reinstall the driver for this device. If this does not work, you might have to change the device start type parameter in the registry.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.

Restart your computer.

Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Change the start type in the Registry

This content is designed for an advanced computer user.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly if the driver is required, and if reinstalling or upgrading does not work. Change the start type inside the registry by using Registry Editor.

jaclaz