We are reinstalling windows a lot!

ptuy

Hey guys!

I work in a shop for PC support..

We are reinstalling Windows operating system about five times a day, and mostly Windows Vista.

It is quite breathtaking to spend about 2 hours a day updating to SP2 in vista.

I (and my collegues) would really love to have some fully updated unattended windows installation discs.

My question is, how many hours will it take me to make integrated WIN XP ALL SP3 DANISH and VISTA ALL SP2 DANISH, and WINDOWS 7 SP1 ALL DANISH.

And I would like Google Chrome and Microsoft Security Essentials to be installed from the beginning. And maybe even change the wallpaper from beginning.

Is all this possible using vLite and nLite (I Know that we are in the vLite foum)

I've read some difficulties integrating SP2 in Vista?

And is is possible to make one big bootable USB with WIN 7 ALL + VISTA ALL + XP ALL.

I'm quite techy, as long you give me a guide to stick to.

I Hope you can help me?

Rasmus

Here is the Manual XP Unattended guide. Vista and Seven (AFAIK) are very much the same as each other and the methodology is in the Unattended subforum.

BTW MS Security Essentials doesn't conveniently "unattend" install (tried already on an XP and gave up...)

Edited by submix8c

Yeah, but still wants to download the "definition updates".

True, but if you're building your machines on a build VLAN or separate network from the internet (you *are* doing that, right? ;)), it will simply fail without a connection to the internet. It's not pretty, but then again, the public package was never really designed for automated installation. There are ways if you're an OEM, though.

(hummm...)
First option - TRUE. Second option - Wants to run updates if "install date" determines update is needed (ref. first option). That's the bugger, so I left it be and just install after up-and-running and connected to WAN. The main bugger is the LARGE file(s) it wants to download.

IOW, been there, done that. Thx though for including that link for everyone else...

Free is free though (except second option isn't "as in beer" as jaclaz would say...). ;)

It's not pretty, but then again, the public package was never really designed for automated installation.

While that is true, the public version does retain some of the functionality of the OEM version whereas if you install it in Audit Mode, it will run its own OOBE after sysprep /oobe is run on Windows.

• 4 weeks later...