Installing Windows 2000 from USB flash disk?

tomasz86

I'd like to install Windows 2000 from USB flash disk. I've tried many different programs described here but they either don't support Windows 2000 source, don't run in Windows 2000 or even if I finally manage to transfer the source to the flash disk, there are always errors during text setup.

Is there any program that you can say for sure that it supports Windows 2000?

Did you try WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta7?

Do you need to run the program on WIndows 2000 , or just need to put 2000 on USB stick from XP/Vista/7?

I'd prefer to run it in Windows 2000 if possible.

I tried WinSetupFromUSB but I get this when trying to format the drive:

xXOwTs.png

xXOwTs.png

That is seemingly related to the RMPREPUSB only.

Partition/format the device manually.

A "not-so-simple" approach :ph34r: (BUT surely working on 2K as it was actually developed on 2K), is detailed here:

http://reboot.pro/5000/

http://reboot.pro/5000/page__st__1

I will anyway "ping" steve6375 (RMPREPUSB Author :thumbup ) to let him know about the issue you reported. :)

jaclaz

Actually my system is pretty unstable at the moment so this problem may not be necessary related to the RMPREPUSB.

I guess I need to a clean installation. I'll see if RMPREPUSB works after doing so.

Actually my system is pretty unstable at the moment so this problem may not be necessary related to the RMPREPUSB.

I guess I need to a clean installation. I'll see if RMPREPUSB works after doing so.

Also, Steve6375 just:

1. confirmed that RMPREPUSB was never tested on 2K
  2. hinted that the problem may be caused by the differences in the FormatEX API between 2K and XP (and as such not easily solvable :()

You may try formatting as FAT32 instead of NTFS, but you are currently working in a totally UNexplored ground. :ph34r:

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

I reinstalled my system and tried to run RMPREPUSB once again but it's the same as before. It doesn't matter whether it's set to FAT or NTFS. Bootice also doesn't seem to work.

Is there any other program I could use to prepare the drive for WinSetupFromUSB?

Did you try WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta7?

Do you need to run the program on WIndows 2000 , or just need to put 2000 on USB stick from XP/Vista/7?

I'd prefer to run it in Windows 2000 if possible.

xXOwTs.png

Did you try if the stick is bootable, ignoring the error message? From what I can see RMPrepUSB did its job.

I reinstalled my system and tried to run RMPREPUSB once again but it's the same as before. It doesn't matter whether it's set to FAT or NTFS. Bootice also doesn't seem to work.

Is there any other program I could use to prepare the drive for WinSetupFromUSB?

There are also FBinst/FBinstTool (you need to google a bit or search in reboot.pro for its usage) and PEtoUSB (limited to 2(4) GB disks) in \files\tools folder. You may also use HP USB format utility which is included in 0.2.3 version.

Under 2000 you also might be good simply to use the built in disk management.

PEtoUSB doesn't work.

6nqvl.png

I can format the drive using HP USB and I've already tried it before but the problem is that it's still not detected in WinSetupFromUSB.

ENQRu.png

What system files exactly do these program use when formatting the drive? Format.com? Would replacing the 2K native format.com with the one from XP help?

Edited by tomasz86

PEtoUSB doesn't work.

6nqvl.png

Have you tried another flash drive? :unsure:

I can format the drive using HP USB and I've already tried it before but the problem is that it's still not detected in WinSetupFromUSB.

ENQRu.png

Which version of HP USB format tool did you use? Later than 2.0.6 if I recall correctly do NOT do the job, 2.0.6 is included in WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3. Another possibility is that the WMI query if the device has a primary partition does not work that way in Windows 2000 or does not work at all.
What system files exactly do these program use when formatting the drive? Format.com? Would replacing the 2K native format.com with the one from XP help?

They should be using Windows APIs part of kernel.dll, ntdll.dll etc. etc, not executing single files such as format.com and the likes so I wouldn't be taking this path at all.

Reminder:

Under 2000 you also might be good simply to use the built in disk management.

I've tried disk management - the drive is still not detected.

HP USB 2.0.6 - also no difference.

BUT I've also tried using another drive and this time PEtoUSB worked! However, it's still not recognised by WinSetupFromUSB :unsure:

I wonder what is the sense of asking for advice, and then NOT doing what is suggested. :unsure::whistle:

Partition/format the device manually.

A "not-so-simple" approach :ph34r: (BUT surely working on 2K as it was actually developed on 2K), is detailed here:

http://reboot.pro/5000/

http://reboot.pro/5000/page__st__1

Right now we have NO way to know if there is an actual problem with the way the stick is partitioned/formatted, or if it is an issue of Install Windows from USB when running under 2K that cannot detect a correctly partitioned/formatted stick..

Possible ways to solve this doubt:

1. partition/format the stick in a SURELY correct way (see above)
    OR:
  2. try the Wnsetup from USB on a machine running XP on the stick "as is".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz