USB 3.0 and W2k

Dear Win2000 users,

could we share information about which USB 3.0 controllers work with W2k or not? At 3.0 speed of course.

I have no such hardware (but will in the future) so I couldn't test the drivers properly. Here's a list of some controllers, please complete it:

- AMD chipsets?

- Nec's UPD 720200, and newer 200A, 201, 202, with Nec being Renesas now.

The very recent v2.1.27.0 driver answers "error, impossible to achieve the installation".

Because I have no controller, or because W2k is rejected? .cat files tell 5.1-6.0-6.1, bad sign.

- Etron's EJ168 (sounds horribly in some languages). The v0.105 driver installer claims victory, but the only file added is

C:\Winnt\Installer\11aba4e.msi - unclear.

- TI's TUSB6010B. I didn't check.

- Via's VL800 and 801, with Via being VLI now.

I mean my following statement seriously: Via's Usb 2.0 chips are fast and reliable. That's why I consider VLI's Usb 3.0.

What, disk hosts by Via? A different engineer probably.

The driver 1.50B tells "can't find the related hardware" and keeps silent about the OS.

.cat files tell 5.1-6.0-6.1 alas.

Your experience please!

Edited by pointertovoid

Good topic :)

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 PCI-E controller based on a NEC chipset and I wonder if it'll work properly under W2k. I've already checked the drivers and there are no dependency issues so theoretically there's a high probability that they'd work. The manufacturer of the controller also states that these drivers are for 2K / XP.

I'll post here again if I finally buy and test it.

• 9 months later...

I've got the Etron chipset listed above and can't get it work in Win2k. The driver itself has no dependency issues but still doesn't start.

I think there are too many differences in the system USB drivers between XP and 2K to make it work easily, ex. in 2K there are separate usbhub.sys (for USB 1.1) and usbhub20.sys (for USB 2.0) files while in XP there's only one usbhub.sys for both. There are also many other differences. That's probably why the drivers written for XP refuse to run in 2K.

What's the solution? Using XP system USB drivers is out of question because there are missing dependencies. I think though that there's a chance to try with Windows XP beta ("Whistler") USB drivers as it's in case of dbghelp.dll, imagehlp.dll and dbgeng.dll coming from Whistler 2430.1 which work perfectly fine in 2K (they're included in UURollup). If you check the USB drivers from the same build of Whistler you can see that they show no dependency issues found in the "normal" XP USB drivers. Still, the system doesn't boot after randomly replacing the native ones with them. I think it would be necessary to replace the whole USB driver interface, i.e. at least the ones listed in usb.inf, usbport.inf and usbstor.inf. It would be necessary to compare 2K and Whistler 2430.1 files, check all differences and replace the ones from 2K completely. I've got no time to spend on this currently but I'll try to have a look at it some time in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Intel's Panther Point (= 7 series) chipset, meant for Sandy and Ivy Bridge, brings Usb 3.0 and its InfInst 9.3.0.1019 seems to target W2k.

Nothing for a small retrofit of course, but this gives hope at new motherboards.

I didn't try it though, and there's no feedback up to now.

Good topic :)

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 PCI-E controller based on a NEC chipset and I wonder if it'll work properly under W2k. I've already checked the drivers and there are no dependency issues so theoretically there's a high probability that they'd work. The manufacturer of the controller also states that these drivers are for 2K / XP.

I'll post here again if I finally buy and test it.

I think NEC chipset USB 3.0 doesn't work on Windows 2000.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1512188.html

The oldest reasonably good USB 3.0 driver is the NEC v.1.0.1.0Beta of June 15th, 2009... That's before NEC became Renesas. I think any effort to get the drivers working with Win2k (or to Win 9x/ME) has a better chance to succeed using that driver, but so far I haven't been able to obtain a copy of it.

Intel's Panther Point (= 7 series) chipset, meant for Sandy and Ivy Bridge, brings Usb 3.0 and its InfInst 9.3.0.1019 seems to target W2k.

Chipset is not USB driver.

Intel USB3.0 driver dosn't support XP and not Vista. Hence I doubt 2000 too.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033072.htm

Anyone can confirm this with relating hardware?

I got the USB 3 NEC driver V1.0.1.0 beta download (searching from google) at this page:

driverscollection.com/_44043379017125e090295256f4b/Download-ASUS-PCIE-GEN2-SATA6G-NEC-Electronics-USB-3.0-Host-Controller-Driver-v.1.0.1.0b-for-Windows-XP-64-bit-Vista-7-free

The filename is : NEC_USB3_V1010b.zip

Inside the package there is the file: NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-1010Beta-Setup.exe , Size: 1147904 bytes , Date: 2009-06-12

(I hope that this is the right file in question - I think - but I am not totally sure about it)

Hope this helps.

Bye bye my friends.

I41Mar

To tomasz86, (if the message was for me!)

about the msi package.

Unfortunately I have no Win 2000 PC, neither USB 3 HW.

My post purpose was just to bring my little humble contribution, finding the file in question on the net in order to help (the easy part of work).

I know that you are very talented, but I'm sorry if I created other type of expectations: my PC knowledge is very limited and I dont have any programming skills!

Currently I have a Win98 PC and a laptop with WinXP SP2.

P.S.: I admire your really great work, passion, efforts and dedication to Win2k (and also all the other Win2k/Win98 very talented members), bringing such GREAT achievements to Win2k community, and I hope that can cause also a later further development to Win98!

In fact I tend to follow every news about the Win2k and Win98.

Best wishes.

I41Mar

There wasn't anything personal in my comment ;)

I just wanted to say that the proper driver files are located inside one of the MSI installers and are:

nusb3drv.cat
nusb3drv.inf
nusb3hub.sys 1.0.1.0
nusb3xhc.sys 1.0.1.0

The rest of the stuff included in the package should not be needed. I also don't own any NEC USB 3.0 controller so I can't test it. My predictions are that the result will be similar to the Etron one I've got here. The driver can be installed but doesn't start <_<

By the way, does anyone know how to investigate what the problem with the driver is? I'd like to know why it doesn't start.

Hi

I try to install it.

But it would not work with same reason.

I got the USB 3 NEC driver V1.0.1.0 beta download (searching from google) at this page:

driverscollection.com/_44043379017125e090295256f4b/Download-ASUS-PCIE-GEN2-SATA6G-NEC-Electronics-USB-3.0-Host-Controller-Driver-v.1.0.1.0b-for-Windows-XP-64-bit-Vista-7-free

The filename is : NEC_USB3_V1010b.zip

Inside the package there is the file: NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-1010Beta-Setup.exe , Size: 1147904 bytes , Date: 2009-06-12

(I hope that this is the right file in question - I think - but I am not totally sure about it)

Hope this helps.

Bye bye my friends.

I41Mar

I do have the proper hardware, but I initially decided to test it in my spare machine, which has only Win XP and Slackware, ATM. Now I need to move it to my main machine, which also has Win 98SE, precisely to start work on 9x/ME, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find time to do it yet. However, from my initial installation on XP SP3, in which all versions of the NEC/RENESAS drivers work OK, I can confirm tomasz86 is right, and the only needed files are those he listed, although nusb3drv.cat isn't fundamental, and is better left out the moment we start modding/patching the drivers, if it comes to that.

I also take this opportunity to thank I41Mar for finding the 1.0.1.0 drivers, which had eluded my searches for some time already (I'm nowere near jaclaz's league, when it comes to finding things, but this was not an easy search). :thumbup

The general layout of the NEC drivers remains the same from 1.0.1.0 up to 2.1.32.0, but their internal complexity has grown with time. The layout follows the one adopted for USB 2.0 in Win2k, whith a primary HUB driver and a protocol driver (for USB 2.0 it was EHCI, for USB 3.0 it's xHCI). For Win 2k, the problem seems to be just with nusb3hub.sys, from what I could understand from Blackwingcat's blog, but that's to be expected, since the hub is always the lowest-level driver. But I do have hope that with some patching it'll be possible to get it working. I do think it's worthwhile to pursue this objective, because USB 3.0 really is much faster than USB 2.0, bringing external devices to transfer rates similar to IDE/SATA.