Fast Internet - Slow DNS Lookup While Downloads Are Going?

Redhatcc

Here is an overview of what I have. I currently upgraded from DSL when I moved to Cable now. My connection before worked very fine. I still use the same hardware such as nic, cables, and switch at my new house. My cable speeds are 30mbps down, 5mbps up. This is what has been happening, and I will use tonight as an example.

I start downloading World Of Warcraft. It is running at a moderately slow download speed of 300kbps (considering my download spee is 30mbps). Now when I go to navigate to lets say Hotmail.com, the dns lookup either fails by timing out, or it takes roughly 20 seconds to find the page.

If i stop any downloads that I have, such as the slow download World Of Warcraft tonight, my dns lookup goes back to being fast. Not sure why a download would make my pages load so slowly. I have tried the following.

1. Skipping my switch and plugging directly into my surfboard modem, same problem still.

2. I have tried configuring my dns to use googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 thinking it is my ISP's dns that is sluggish, doesn't help.

3. While my outside connection in a web browser is terrible during downloads, i can navigate to my modem in a browser, and do a tracert to google.com just fine. So my router can hit outside ip's.

4. During the downloads, I fail to ping addresses I know are up host (ping works after i stop my downloads)

Any advice would be appreciated. Next step, updating my current drivers (although this problem did not occur until I moved).

It's been a couple years since I've played, but World of Warcraft used (uses?) bittorrent to distribute its files and updates. Even if throughput is low, protocol traffic can be high. Like I said, it's been a while, but see if there's a way to limit the simultaneous connections it is allowed to make.

Hopefully somebody more familiar with the current state of the game can help more.

Thanks,

It was doing that with WoW download, but its like that for any download as well. P2P FTP etc.

Also, when I power up my computer, it takes a min before I can browse to any websites ex. this morning, Powered up the machine, waited 3 mins then could navigate to this website. If I power up my machine and immediately go to any website it times out. Note that this is after I gain my static ip from my router and I can ping my router, but I cant browse for another 2-3 mins.

Also, when I power up my computer, it takes a min before I can browse to any websites ex. this morning, Powered up the machine, waited 3 mins then could navigate to this website. If I power up my machine and immediately go to any website it times out. Note that this is after I gain my static ip from my router and I can ping my router, but I cant browse for another 2-3 mins.

That has seemed to be somewhat normal behavior to me. MS seems to have sped up the display of the desktop to give the user a warm fuzzy feeling from a quick "boot", but it's still not completely ready to do all tasks. But 3 mins does seem a little long. You might check out this - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/ - and see if MagicAndre1981 can give you any help with your power up speed.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I had these problems as well, and it was due to my ISP not giving much connections, has also nothing to do with down and up speeds. I say limited number of connections is your problem. Nothing you can do, not even local QoS will help, it's your ISP to blame.