AMD Athlon XP 3000+ voltage compatibility

vipejc

should I trash my old PC and by a complete new one?"... :rolleyes:

Again, you can easily find a second hand dual core CPU + motherboard + enough RAM for under $100. That will give a HUGE boost in performance (like 300% gain). Whereas finding a second hand Athlon XP 3200+ (still a ghetto CPU without SSE2 -- about the same speed as a P4 2.2GHz in tasks like encoding XviD for example) will cost half of that and offer a ~10% speed boost (not enough to be noticeable, and zero help in running more demanding apps or games i.e. a pointless waste of money) if it actually works and that's not exactly guaranteed either. At some point an upgrade really is the best option, and here getting anything reasonably faster and more modern isn't a huge expense. Heck, even "garbage diving" for an old P4 (free) would be a much better option. At least you'd get SSE2 out of it, you'd likely also get more RAM slots on the motherboard.

Yes, you can have a complete set with 2GB, dual core CPU and mobo for even under 60USD shipped in Canada or the USA (I had a Pentium D 920/930 with 1GB DDR2 RAM and an Intel 965 mobo for 30USD shipped, and was almost in new state!) and I agree with what you said (I would trash the Athlon XP too) but the OP just asked IF it was possible, and I understand from it that he wants to spend little to nothing and still could get a little more out of his current system. You know we agree on most stuff ;).

Garbage Diving is a nice sport! :lol: :lol:

Garbage Diving is a nice sport! :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Then again, I have several of those old P4 3GHz setups (board/CPU/RAM) somewhere. I haven't thrown them out yet but nobody even wants of that kind of hardware here -- that's the kind of thing people are getting rid of in the first place. I even got a spare E2180 CPU this week which is likely never going to be used again (from a setup which had a dead motherboard). Now, that would still be perfectly usable for a good while (especially on a OC-friendly board)

Sure! :)

The mobo should detect which CPU it is and adjust accordingly.

Or you might also run a SDA3300DKV4E (Sempron 3300+), which is the exact same thing as the AXDA3200DKV4E (Athlon XP 3200+), but rebranded for reasons only AMD knows (but doesn't tell). Both are easy to find, and either will do (since they are one and the same), although maybe the BIOS won't recognize the Sempron 3300+ (depends on its release date and that of the BIOS, but I think it should be known to the BIOS, because they're from around the same time frame). And, of course, you can also run an AXDA3200DKV4D, too, if you ever manage to find one. :D

Great teamwork, Den! We solved the case. The underlined is what I thought but wanted to confirm. I wouldn't chance the Sempron. It's not in the manual, so it's not a trusted-compatible CPU and could cause damage.

Guys, I appreciate the effort, but you're missing the point. This is my main system. This system meets all my current and, as far as I can see, future needs. I have absolutely no desire or need to upgrade my system now or, as far as I can see, ever. I know exactly what I'm doing and have put extreme thought into future-proofing my system. Older technologies, such as IDE and VGA, will always be suitable for most end users, including me. New is not always better, and even in the rare instance it is, the performance gain is so tiny, it can't justify the bloated costs.

• 2 years later...

Sure! smile.gif

The mobo should detect which CPU it is and adjust accordingly.

Or you might also run a SDA3300DKV4E (Sempron 3300+), which is the exact same thing as the AXDA3200DKV4E (Athlon XP 3200+), but rebranded for reasons only AMD knows (but doesn't tell). Both are easy to find, and either will do (since they are one and the same), although maybe the BIOS won't recognize the Sempron 3300+ (depends on its release date and that of the BIOS, but I think it should be known to the BIOS, because they're from around the same time frame). And, of course, you can also run an AXDA3200DKV4D, too, if you ever manage to find one. biggrin.gif

hey Den & vipejc.

I managed to get both of those AMD CPUs SDA3300DKV4E (got that one from Amazon.com this past summer) and AXDA3200DKV4E (got this one from CPUMedics.com).  The AMD Sempron 3300+ CPU was recognized by the BIOS for the Foxconn/Winfast K7S741MG motherboard but Windows did not correctly identify the Sempron CPU in Device Manager, I had to remove the CPU in Device Manager and reboot twice to force Windows PnP feature to detect the Sempron CPU.

The AMD Sempron 3300+ 2.2Ghz CPU ran fine on my custom built computer, however, this CPU ran a little hotter than the Sempron 3000+ 2.0Ghz that I had before.  Fortunately, this Cooler Master CPU fan (spinning between 5113 to 5243 RPM), along with putting Arctic MX-4 carbon-based thermal compound between the cpu & the heatsink kept the Sempron 3300+ CPU cool enough.  I ordered the AMD Athlon XP AXDA3200DKV4E CPU for a friend but the motherboard in his computer (a PC Chips M863g mobo) couldn't quite handle it at the correct speed.  Since both SDA3300DKV4E & AXDA3200DKV4E CPUs have FSBs of 400Mhz, they will run slower than their designed speed if used in his PC (the M863g mobo can only handle CPUs with FSB speed of 333Mhz) but they run fine on the Foxconn K7S741MG mobo in my computer (which handles CPUs with FSB speeds of either 333Mhz or 400Mhz).

I may get the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.33Ghz AXDA3200DKV4D for my friend someday - UpgradeBay.com seems to have it sometimes but it's not cheap.

You may also try an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (which multiplier is guaranteed to be unlocked): AXMJ2800FHQ4C...

It shouldn't be very cheap, but probably it's cheaper than the AXDA3200DKV4D, and while being rated for 266 MHz, it accepts 333 MHz confortably, so that it can run easily at 2333 MHz (provided the motherboard allows one to set those values by hand).