Hardware interrupts load cpu

Andreyash

ok, progress again. I was able to generate some data, which does not mean much to me, or perhaps I need a bottle of beer to understand :)

In "process" screen shot I can see the same ACPI.sys with no meaningful details (to me)

In Stack screen shot - what do I need to dig into: Idle or System?

I had to upload the Stack file to this address (http://www.filedropper.com/stack) because I reached upload quota here :)

Can you help me understand this? Do you need any other screen shots?

Thank you in advance, man, you already helping me a lot

post-334722-0-89919200-1318616454_thumb.

done, doc! what's my diagnosis?

surgery successfull, patient dead :D

No, it was a hassle to open the large file (my 8GB were not enough. Windows had to page out 4GB). But the ACPI.sys driver is the cause.

This maybe a BIOS, power plan or an overheating issue so that the CPU throttles. Try to update the BIOS, change to high performance power plan before playing and also make sure that the laptop is not to hot.

Many thanks for looking into this issue further. The file was freezing my PC as well

So in the end it is same annoying ACPI.sys? I was hoping the xperf analysis can point to a particular driver, saying, look, here is the bastard, :realmad: update it/remove it!!! :yes:

Well, I have done all the operations before: updated BIOS to latest 412 version, changed power plan as well as numerious features inside it (also tried uninstalling Asus Power4Gear Hybrid), and my laptop stands on a comfortable stand while I lay in my bed :) - no conditions for extreme tempertures (I also monitor temp: CPU 75, GPU maximum 65)

I am falling into despair.

SOme other observations: when I play on integrated Intel HD 3000 video (yeah its powerful enough to give e decent STALKER picture) the porblem does not happen. It only appears when I switch to Nvidia Geforce GT550m (I have the latest drivers here). Subjectively it now seems to be an overheating issue with Nvidia as why the heck it starts after at least 10 minutes of play but never at the very beginning? Or could it be the Optimus issue?

Also I would want to change setting inside BIOS, but it's a rather a grap than a normal BIOS - AMI BIOS from American Megatrends - it has almost no features to change: no chipset features, no power management to say noting of the ACPI settings.

Thannks, Nitroshift as well for your suggestion. I tried removing battery with no effect. Only reboot (not always) and going into hybernation help to unlock my CPU.

ANy other suggestions/experiences?

Edited by Andreyash

Will do, Doc. I need to install back the SDK tools, as I have just uninstalled them in despair thinking that they are of no use :D

I was also testing/stressing my Nvidia GPU with FurMark - the result is always the same - whenever the temperature of GPU reaches a certain level (seems like about 78 C) - hardware interrupts start to lock the CPU.

My 2cents here: 78°C is very hot for a GPU and it might be the root cause. I would try to put thermal paste after cleaning properly the heat sink of the gpu.

Any electronic component will see its life reduced when going to temperature higher than 70°C. Recent one are sometimes designed to be more robust and handle 80°C but if you can keep it cooler it should live longer.

Edited by allen2

It may also be a IRQ sharing issue. Please make a smaller trace and give it to me so that I can look deeper in it. The other one was simply too large.

I had noticed I have an IRQ conflict between keyboard and motherboard, but doubt that it can be the cause of my problem

Anyway, here is the 10 times smaller latency file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i1hvv4vvukkvlja

Allen2 - 78 C is what I see only in FurMark test program - it stresses my GPU to the limits (max what I saw was 82 C). However when playing a game the max GPU temperature that I see is about 65 C. However could be that it drops quickly before I am able to switch to the CPUID monitor

Andre, in my mind the "ntkrnlmp.exe!KiIdleLoop" is causing high CPU consumption. At least as it looks in the latency.etl file

no, the Idle Loop is ok. This is the system idle process you see in Process Explorer.

If you dump the DPC/ISR usage you see this:

CPU Usage from 0 us to 40614785 us:

CPU 0 Usage, CPU 1 Usage, CPU 2 Usage, CPU 3 Usage,

usec %, usec %, usec %, usec %, Module

23913355 58.88, 989442 2.44, 1725432 4.25, 9346 0.02, ACPI.sys

So the 1st Core is used 59% by the ACPI driver. Run MSI Afterburner in background it shows how high the temps are.

Thanks, MagicAndre, the MSI is a very good prog. Here is what I traced:

I was displaying both GPU temp and GPU load

while playing the temp was between 70-74 C and GPU load 95-99%. When the interrupts started the temperature was about 72, however shortly after that it felt down to 60 and GPU load also decreased to miserable 12%. How come? Does it mean that CPU is no longer capable to utilize GPU fully because it is "busy" with hardware interrupts? :) Or does the GPU fail at first place causing hardware interrupts which in turn affect CPU :wacko: