Hardware interrupts load cpu

Andreyash

I have gone mad about my problem and almost loosing hope to solve it

When I play games after 5-30 minutes of play I get terrible FPS drop. The cpu gets overloaded with hardware interrupts and continue to do so even after I quit game and the system stays idle. So something happens during the game that kind of locks 1 out of my double core CPU. The furthest I was able to track this problem is to see in LatencyMonitor that the responsible process? is ACPI.sys. I have read that it could be either a driver or a hardware problem. But I am not able to understand which driver or which hardware and ACPI refers to a whole bunch of things. I updated all drivers on my PC, tried to switch off devices in device manager, but with no luck. The only think that helps to temporarily unload cpu (stop hardware interrupts) is when I uninstall and reinstall ACPIATK driver (not sure what that is) or Intell Device Management Interface driver from Asus site, with subsequent reboot of the system.

The problem does only occure when playing games. This is not likely to be a heat problem as CPU temperatures never exceed 75 degrees or GPU is never higher than 65.

I have a newly bought Asus n43sn with the following specs:

Intel HM65

i5-2410M processor

Nvidia geforce gt550m graphics card

4 gb of ram

Windows 7 x64 OC

I know people have similar problems on other machines, but there does not seem to be a single cause of the problem, and nothing I have tried helped me. With a similar Asus notebook I have not seen people suffer the same problem or perhaps they suffer alone? Perhaps after my post I can find a company ? :)

Would highly appreciate any help or advice!!!

Edited by Andreyash

acpi.sys maybe power saving settings. Try to set the power plan to "high performance" and update the BIOS.

High MagicAndre, glad that you paid attention to my post. I saw you were helping people with similar problems (however not the ACPI.sys), but I was not able to follow your instructions with tracking the routs of the problem (I am using Russian Windows and whenever I try to use command line and generate a log file or the like, it gives me some error which I cannot read - the font is destorted)

But back to your current advice - I am using the high performance power plan and did the bios update long ago - no effect. It seems that any system update with subsequent reboot helps free the cpu from these terrible hardware interrupts, but it does not stay long - now I was playing a game for 20 minutes and then suddenly the same hardware interrupts stroke my PC :wacko:

Edited by Andreyash

How many days have you spent in troubleshooting? how many hours will it take for a clean install?

hehe, good point. I would certainly do that if only it helped at least a single person with similar problems - whoever tried this never got a positive effect. Perhaps I should switch to XP as it might be windows 7 64 specific issue? But i do like windows 7

Besides it is a 1,5 month old notebook and the problem was there since very beginning (I guess it answers how much time I spent troubleshooting :blink: ) Mainly on my own from time to time, but now i decided to go live and ask people

can you run the xperf commands and upload the ETL?

This is what I said earlier - I tried to follow your guidelines in xperf, but first it tells me to change a value in regestry, which I do easily, however after that it brings me a type of error in destorted font, which I cannot read (perhaps the reason is my Russian windows). Is there another way to use xperf (without the command window)?

I speak Russian myself :D The problem is that the command window gives me an unreadable text (its not Russian, but rather strange symbols which make no sense) - please see the attached screenshot. AM I doing something wrong with xperf command? Could it be that my system is 64 bit, while CMD.exe is located in 32 windows folder? I am not good at these things, but really keen on getting to the route of my hardware interrupts

post-334722-0-81800400-1318606301_thumb.

Edited by Andreyash

this is the correct text

xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0xb7)

So you already run a xperf trace or a different tools runs in background (Process Explorer, Process Hacker, Resource Monitor from Windows) which also uses ETW to display data.

Thanks, that is something. However I do not seem to be running any of the programs you mention. I intentionally went into Process Explorer to see if there is any other process (screen shot below, there you can see my lovely Interrupts). Can you suggest me to close any of the displayed processes? Which of them might be already using xperf?

post-334722-0-84298800-1318610629_thumb.

well, a small progress again - seems like xperf was running on my PC already (do not know why, but just by a number of etl files I can tell that it was writing etl files every day).

I stopped it and run the command again - but it does not seem to work - the etl file that is created is 0 bites size. What am I doing wrong again?

post-334722-0-26704300-1318612965_thumb.