Hardware interrupts load cpu

Andreyash

When the interrupts started the temperature was about 72, however shortly after that it felt down to 60 and GPU load also decreased to miserable 12%. How come?

I think this is an overheating protection. Maybe the threshold is 70°C and the laptop reduces GPCU/CPU clock and voltage to cool down.

I think you are in this case. The 105°C is probably for desktop graphic card.

My GPU temp while playing was only 74 C. And I cannot find a reference to normal working temperatures for the Nvidia GT550m, beside a general statement "Graphics card temperatures typically range from 40°C to 90°C". There are no settings in power management or Nvidia panel as to temperature policy

Anyway, thank you very much all for taking your time to help me understand my stupid problem. I will not give up of course. The range of suspects has narrowed down to Nvidia card or a temperature handling by my laptop

The range of suspects has narrowed down to Nvidia card or a temperature handling by my laptop

it is the temperature. The Intel GPU which is inside the CPU is not so fast and doesn't produce such heat. That's why you don't have any issues when using the Intel.

I googled a bit and other users also have extreme framedrops in games because of throttling when the temperature is over 70°C. You can try to diable the Intel Turbo Boost in the BIOS, maybe this helps the reduce the temperature.

Some users reported that it may help to set the max frequency to 99% in the advanced power plan options to reduce the throttling with your laptop. Also try other nVIDIA drivers.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Many thanks, Andre, I will try both options. For BIOS I do not have any possibility to change power managtement or chipset features as BIOS is AMI and its almost optionless :)

But based on your advce I have also found this interesting discussion about Sandy Bridge throttling although on slightly different laptops:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround

The prog is ThrottleStop, which is supposed to prohibit CPU from throttling down (disabling BD BROCHOST), but my problem is that BD BROCHOST appears to be disabled by default. What I can try with this program is to disable Turbo Boost

I will inform of the resutls especially if I have any luck cause it may help many other people out there with similar problems (FPS drops, hardware interrupts because of ACPI.sys, etc)

well I tried everything: switching off Turbo boost, lowering down % of CPU usage in advanced power management setup, but nothing works. When using FurMark CPU still gets locked by hardware interrupts/ACPI.sys approximately when GPU temperature reaches to around 80 C.

I have also found an interresting story line about how Nvidia makes friends with Intel lately, and this is very dissapointing as it might be an embeded problem with many PC configurations like mine with neither party willing/able to solve it:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194023

Edited by Andreyash

• 1 year later...

Hi! This post is old, but I still hope that any of the earlier participants will see this.

I've just read this post after searching through the net for a solution. I have the exact same problem with the exact same pc as you are describing here. What did you end up doing?

The strange thing for my part is that I discovered this problem when I bought the pc over a year ago, but it worked it self out after some reinstalls and random installation of drivers from asus' support page. But after a reinstall and a new ssd, the problem is back again. I've tried everything of drivers, different bios versions etc. like you describe, but everything comes down to some ACPI-stuff. Frankly, I don't know what to do with this now. Also all other threads about this in other forums (yes, there are quite a lot of them) end with out any solutions. Do people just live with this?

Best regards,

Footprints

• 4 months later...

Hi! This post is old, but I still hope that any of the earlier participants will see this.

I've just read this post after searching through the net for a solution. I have the exact same problem with the exact same pc as you are describing here. What did you end up doing?

The strange thing for my part is that I discovered this problem when I bought the pc over a year ago, but it worked it self out after some reinstalls and random installation of drivers from asus' support page. But after a reinstall and a new ssd, the problem is back again. I've tried everything of drivers, different bios versions etc. like you describe, but everything comes down to some ACPI-stuff. Frankly, I don't know what to do with this now. Also all other threads about this in other forums (yes, there are quite a lot of them) end with out any solutions. Do people just live with this?

Best regards,

Footprints

Hi there,

It's me back again after more than a year. SOrry to say, but I did not solve this problem. Still using the same Asus crap, but gave up serious gaming :) I even sent my PC to official Asus repair and described the problem in all details - however they either did not read it carafully or failed to sovle as well, I have received my PC back with the "fixed" problem statement - "issues solved by replacing the botherboard". It took me 3 minutes to test it and realize that the problem is still there.... I wanted to get thr hole PC replaced, but in service they told me that I need to send it to them with the same issue for 3 times (!!!) for my PC to be replaced. Since I do not see my PC for 1 month with all the shipment back and force, 3 tries is a rather dull option. I will surely sell it, but for now I am just fine with watching movies and playing some old games. However time after time, it seems even sporadically, the hardware intrerrupts return again - then either rebooting or sleep-and-back helps.

For myself I have decided - no more Asus

• 1 month later...

have you tried ThrottleStop, NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) or Speedfan to change the CPU cooler fan?

http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1070494

Play a bit with the tools and define the the speedlevel yourself.

Yes, I tried many such programs, including ThrottleStop, but nothing really works. For my Asus N43SN I have not found any program that can control fan speed. AT one point I thought that Nvidia Power Mizer Manager have solved my problem, as it was related to the graphics card load - however it did not