HDD seen as removable

Hi,

I tried searching in the forum, but couldn't find anything similar to this.

The HDD is WDC WD32 00BEVT-60ZCT1 SATA Disk Device (copied from Device Properties). After installing Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, it's shown as removable. It is optimized for better performance, not quick removal, and write caching is enabled. It's currently working with AMD Sata Controller (AHCI) v.1.2.1.301, and the Hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106. This kind of problem never occurred on Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

post-236786-0-06421000-1318425029_thumb.

1. Motherboard; it is the only HDD in the notebook.

2. HP Compaq 615 is the model of the notebook. No further information in dxdiag or System Information.

3. Yes. C:\ is the system volume, while D:\ is a partition on the same HDD.

Cheers

This is happening because Windows 7 added support for eSATA functionality. Some hardware vendors have incorrectly configured all SATA ports as eSATA ports. This causes all internal and external SATA devices to be treated as removable. This issue can affect hard disks, DVD drives, and other hardware attached to the internal SATA ports of the system.

This issue can be ignored because it does not have an effect on your computer. To resolve this issue you should contact the computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or other type of resolution to correct the misconfiguration of the internal SATA ports.

To work around the issue, a registry key can be set to change the behavior of the SATA ports.

Adding the TreatAsInternalPort value and setting it to 1 will cause a SATA port to be treated as an internal port and attached devices will no longer be considered removable. This value can be applied to specific ports as needed. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start

2. In the Search programs and files box, type command

3. In the Programs list, click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

4. Copy and paste or type each of the commands into the command prompt and press Enter after each command

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel0" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel1" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

5. Restart your computer to enable the registry changes

I found this in the MS answers forum. Try it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I uninstalled AMD Sata Controller (AHCI) v.1.2.1.301 and reverted to the standard v.1.0. I might add here I hadn't previously tried v.1.0, since I installed v.1.2.1.301 from USB during Setup. The problem is gone, but the registry entries you proposed are still there. I will try it again with v.1.1 and report back.

Cheers

EDIT/UPDATE: v.1.2.001.0296 does the same thing.

NEW EDIT: 1.2.0.164 and 1.2.1.275 are no better.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

The problem is gone, but the registry entries you proposed are still there.

Which registry entries? Please do elaborate.

Moreover, if 1.0 eliminates the problem, why not keep it and move on?

Not always the latest versions are necessarily the best versions (there can be new bugs, unwanted features or just plain bloat).

Which registry entries?

The ones you and MagicAndre1981 proposed as solutions in posts #4 and #6. As to the other part of your post, I completely agree and that is exactly what I did. I also reverted to the default Microsoft audio driver since the latest IDT driver plays no sound when headphones are plugged in. Such a pain...

Cheers