pci card internal port

b-man

Hi again this happens on a socket 775 p5q turbo asus board it has 12 usb ports.

Still it is very strange, AFAICR, all sticks I had an occasion to "peek" into with their Manufacturer Tool were in the "Low Power" category at 200 mA.

Again, which exact make /model of the stick they are?

But I do remember that some manufactures ie - hp and others have said in there pc pdf information you will not beable to use all ports at once I will have a look around and find that statment.

No need to, the standard says clearly that EACH port can draw up to 500 mA, and though some makers do not respect it fully:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

I have never seen ANY motherboard or hub uncapable of delivering at least the 500mA.

If you have two of those sticks connected to two ports of the same hub (and nothing else connected to that hub) AND you get a "Hub power exceeded" message there are ONLY two cases possible:

• the summed load of the two specific sticks exceed at least 5 power units or 500mA (which woud be VERY strange)
  • there are some problems with your specific motherboard or - more probably - PSU

jaclaz

Hi the sticks where corsair flash voyager 16 gig usb 3 running on usb 2 but i tried two other no name 16 gig sticks and it was the same.. This was a customers pc and over the years customers using things like usb powed scannners web cams some people need to run 10 usb things for some reason, and I have always pointed those people to use a powered hub rather than adding usb cards. As you say it could be motherboard but I have seen it on older usb pc's so I always thought why try and run 12 things from a pc motherboard when you can just use the powered hub.

Edited by John305

Hi the sticks where corsair flash voyager 16 gig usb 3 running on usb 2. This was a customers pc and over the years customers using things like usb powed scannners web cams some people need to run 10 usb things for some reason, and I have always pointed those people to use a powered hub rather than adding usb cards.

Look, I don't want to be more picky and grumpy :ph34r: than usual, but what you normally advise your customers to do is (mainly) your business, it is obvious that if someone wants to have a zillion USB things attached he/she will need a USB powered hub OR an additional PCI card, choosing one or the other solution depends however from a number of factors.

The whole point is that usually USB devices - with the very notable exception of not-self-powered external hard disks (typically 2.5", which often need an Y cable to get up to 1 A) - use very little power.

Expecially, in my experience, USB sticks were always among the ones that drew the less current.

You stated that you have a motherboard that, when you connect to it two 16 Gb sticks gives you a "Hub power exceeded" message (with NO other USB device connected to it), can you confirm this report?

If yes, I would find this very strange, for the reasons mentioned, but I do trust your word for it. :)

It is very possible, that those devices being USB 3.0 were designed to draw more power, though I find it "queer".

The actual specs for this model (I presume it's this one):

http://www.corsair.com/usb-drive/flash-voyager-usb-drives/flash-voyager-usb-3-16gb-usb-flashdrive-cmfvy3s-16gb.html

are quite "scarce", and there is no meaningful technical documentation I can find on them.

Seemingly the previous GTR models had a higher (NOT specified) than normal power consumption:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=508680&postcount=6

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=465473&postcount=39

jaclaz