pci card internal port

b-man

a few yrs ago (yes my computer is old now) i put a pci card into my computer as i needed more usb ports

all is working fine

there is an internal usb port on the card which i never bothered about using but want to use it now but it doesnt work...?

all the other 4 ports at the back of the pci card work but the internal 1 doesnt

is there something i have to do??

I am sure that this might be the port on your casing and not on your backpanel. right?

if yes than you need to attach the casing cable at the rightspot on the mobo.

if not than i am clueless like you!

I am sure that this might be the port on your casing and not on your backpanel. right?

... he says the 5th port is "on the card".

Could it be one of those that "features 4 external ports and 1 internal port sharing with an external port" ?

Most cards these days are sold with a VIA chip and I think that one can be used for 4 ports, there is a NEC (D720101GJ for example) chip that can be used up to 5 ports, so we need indeed know what is written on the chip on that card...

Could it be one of those that "features 4 external ports and 1 internal port sharing with an external port" ?

Oh! Sorry, thus i am clueless.

Are there jumpers on that card? Sometimes you have to "tell it" to use the internal port and not one of the external ports.

no jumpers

i did manage to get it to work when i unplugged all the usb ports out of the back of the card so could be a sharing port... (even though nothing else on the card was currently running)

so we need indeed know what is written on the chip on that card

without pulling it out i cant see i will have to pull it out when i have time and have a look at it and get back on that

Hi as your pc is older running a large amount of usb off the mother board is not a good thing. You can buy a 7 port usb powered hub for cheap works alot better.

i have an 800w psu so think it can handle it plus i dont like usb hubs powered or not

i have 4 usb ports in the back on the mother board

2 usb ports up front on the mother board

and this 5 port pci card

EDIT:

ok so going on the shared port theory i unplugged everything at the back and it worked

i then plugged something into "port 1" the back and it didnt work

so moved it into "port 2" and it works

so plugged in "port 2, 3, 4" at the back and the internal port and it works so it does seem to share 1 of the ports

problem solved :)

thanks guys especially Ponch

Edited by b-man

Hi as your pc is older running a large amount of usb off the mother board is not a good thing. You can buy a 7 port usb powered hub for cheap works a lot better.

My opinion is the exact opposite: avoid hubs as they bring worries even if externally powered. Use only direct Usb ports.

In case someone worries about the available power: a Usb 2.0 port delivers nearly nothing. Like 2.5W guaranteed maximum.

Hi as your pc is older running a large amount of usb off the mother board is not a good thing. You can buy a 7 port usb powered hub for cheap works a lot better.

My opinion is the exact opposite: avoid hubs as they bring worries even if externally powered. Use only direct Usb ports.

In case someone worries about the available power: a Usb 2.0 port delivers nearly nothing. Like 2.5W guaranteed maximum.

Yes, but he was talking about one with and external power source ant thus not pulling anything from the USB ports (hard to tell if they do or not) ;).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi well to usb it makes no diffrence if you have a 1000 watt psu usb uses 5 volts. If you really want to test it plug any 16 gig usb stick into one of your front usb ports it wont work they will ony run about a 8 gig. Plugged into the back port you could run one 16 gig stick if you put in 2 you would get the Window's message everytime, the "Hub power exceeded" warning, on any connector. Using a powered hub, everything's fine as it supplys all the power to run the devices.

Hi well to usb it makes no diffrence if you have a 1000 watt psu usb uses 5 volts. If you really want to test it plug any 16 gig usb stick into one of your front usb ports it wont work they will ony run about a 8 gig. Plugged into the back port you could run one 16 gig stick if you put in 2 you would get the Window's message everytime, the "Hub power exceeded" warning, on any connector. Using a powered hub, everything's fine as it supplys all the power to run the devices.

I thought that the USB 2.0 standard allowed for 500mA (or five 100mA "units") not that it had an 8 Gb limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

Actually I was convinced that the power consumption needed for a USB stick was not dependant on the amount of memory inside it (if not for a trifling part) and that all sticks fell in the "low-power" category, or however well below the 500 mA limit.

Which make/model are the two 16 Gb sticks that are enough to get the "Hub power exceeded" message?

On which machine/motherboard does this happen?

jaclaz

I wouldn't be surprised if a 16gig today needs less power than a 128Meg from 8 years ago. And probably less than a keyboard or a mouse (which you can plug together without problem). Personally, I have NEVER seen that "Hub Power exceeded" message.

Hi again this happens on a socket 775 p5q turbo asus board it has 12 usb ports. But I do remember that some manufactures ie - hp and others have said in there pc pdf information you will not beable to use all ports at once I will have a look around and find that statment.