Hyper-V Integration components

bookie32

Hi folks!

I have been following cluberti's MDT for the smaller guys and it is great!

I would like to integrate the Hyper-V drivers which are supposed to be found on the "vmguest.iso" which is found in system32...

I am using Windows Server 2008 r2 and have mounted the iso in a vm but cannot find the files mentioned in this thread

The two msu's mentioned:

Windows6.0-KB951634-x86.msu , Windows6.0-KB951634-x64.msu are supposed to be extracted and then added to the "out of box" drivers for integration....

I have even seen a thread where someone is asking the same thing....not at this forum...but he didn't get and answer...

Is there something I am missing or is there another version I need?

bookie32

What OS are we talking about here, specifically? Also, note that it's far easier to call setup.exe from an application package if VMPlatform=Hyper-V (both ways can work, but doing it during post-install is much, much easier to maintain).

Hi cluberti :)

Probably getting my knickers in a twist.....

I added a deployment share and you could have standard drivers in the "out of box drivers" to facilitate the smooth booting of pxe...because I have opted for hyper-v I read about the drivers from the "vmguest.iso" that could be added to that folder...

Some use vmware drivers if using vmware....

I did notice that there were cab files in both the x86 and x64 folders that are almost all of the ones I saw in the thread I gave a link to...

I have linked skydrive to for some pics to show you what I mean.....

Am I thinking wrong here?

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Hi again :(

Well, I am going to have to think again....if I had known that Hyper-v doesn't support all windows os's I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to work with it!

I have criticism of third party software like VMware, but VMware doesn't have a problem with Windows os's...

I know what someone is going to say...why didn't you check what os's are supported by hyper-v....didn't even cross my mind that that would be a problem seen as it is microsoft's own procuct....!!

I don't mind putting in the work, but this is just typical of Microsoft.....

Now I need to look at being able to capture wims from VMware vm's instead with MDT if that is at all possible?.....If someone has any info - then I would be very grateful to hear it :)

bookie32

the Hyper-V drivers are already part of Windows 7. So you don't need them. Or do I miss something? I must say I use VMWare Player and VirtualBox most of the time. Hyper-V has performance issues in the guests. The UI and the mouse in the guests is always slow.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Hi MagicAndre1981 :hello:

Nice to hear from you!

No, Windows 7 Basic and Home Premium haven't any support for "Integration Services" from hyper-v...

The other problem is full screen support...hopeless...

Going to reinstall VMware and start over!!

My situation now after everything is a computer with Windows Server 2008 r2 installed on it....

Active Directory Domain Services.

DHCP Server

DNS Server

Hyper-V

Windows Deployment Services

MDT

If I install VMware and install my Windows 7 all versions, Vista all versions, XP etc I need a way creating a wim file from MDT and deploying it as needed to clients....

If I haven't missunderstood everything I have read the last few weeks - then MDT should be able to work with WDS and create wim files from VMware vm's.....?

Just hope I am not going to lose all my hair (not much left now) before I am setup.... :blink:

bookie32

I checked the packages of the HomeBasic and it includes the Hyper-V guest components:

Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385
Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Integration-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385
Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Integration-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514

Hi again!

Yes, I understand what you mean, but I keep getting Windows Basic and Windows Home Premium not supported when I try to install them....

I even have all updates installed on the Home Premium....

bookie32

Hi guys!

Sorry, can't continue with this....losing too much time....I'm knocking it on the head until I feel I have the time to put more effort into this....

I appreciate the help...just so fedup with the whole thing.......

bookie32

Then you're trying too hard :). In all seriousness, this works as documented in my blog, and what I did there was perhaps 200-level work (it can be even easier, just not as extendable/malleable). What specifically are you trying to achieve (at a high level), step by step? I can help, you just have to slow down, get back to basics, and allow us to help you work it out. Trust me, learning this will be *very* beneficial in the long run ;).

Hi cluberti :yes:

Thanks! I really appreciate that! I do try too hard that is my problem.....drives my girlfriend nuts.....yep not married....she wouldn't marry me....says I am second hand..been together 18 years...go figure... :lol:

OK! back to basics....

The main reason for having Windows Server 2008 r2 was the potential it can give as my company grows, so this is a good time to really get down to it and learn the basics...

I will leave this thread at the moment because it is an extra problem...for later....

I will continue this here

Thanks!

Edited by bookie32

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm also experiancing your problem that I also couldn't find the both mentioned files on the mounted median inHyper-V client.

I will further research and update you with my findings.

In the meantime as a workaround you can extract drivers from the Hyper-V guest using a drive extractor like Driver genious.

I will provide you an aupdate once I got an easier solution.

Best regards,

Tharindha