Windows XP Is Not Dead But Is Outdated

TJM

One of the reason XP is still around is because corporations have not may the move to 7 yet. There thoughts are if it is not broke don't fix it. I talked to my former boss he said he was going to begin introducing 7 ready PCs into the network over the next few years and has the needs change he was going to start rolling out 7 images to fully take advantage of the hardware.

One of the reason XP is still around is because corporations have not may the move to 7 yet. There thoughts are if it is not broke don't fix it. I talked to my former boss he said he was going to begin introducing 7 ready PCs into the network over the next few years and has the needs change he was going to start rolling out 7 images to fully take advantage of the hardware.

Another reason is because a lot of companies still use out-dated software. They become to reliant on it that the prospect of changing to a newer OS that may not support it is a big problem. Especially if they have to get a newer version, or even have it rewritten. The healthcare and accounting/banking software is known for this for sure. A lot of companies still rely on terminal emulators (such as Hummingbird) to connect to databases too.

• 3 weeks later...

XP-Pro-Sp3 is my daily driver, but as a tech, I have to keep up with what's going on in the OS business.

Vista is a has-been, almost not even worth talking about. Another Windows ME! :rolleyes:

Win-7 has left many PC users in a real funk.

I'm now testing Windows 8, which is reported to have much better compliance with older software,

hardware, etc. I've shut off the "Metro UI" and reverted to a very Classic desktop, that closely resembles

the classic 98-XP look and feel. And I did that without having to install a "Classic Shell".

I'm pretty sure that the final release will be quite different than the currently available version.

But for me, "So far, So good".

My hardware is not new, some of it is seven years old, but when Windows 8 installed it picked up all

my hardware, even my Epson Workforce 500 printer. I didn't have to install one single driver to get my

entire system up and running. Apparently, Windows 8 is coming out of the box with a hefty driver pack

and lots of backward compatibility. So it shouldn't be too hard for XP users to make the jump to Win-8,

on the same hardware. Only time will tell.

Cheers mates!

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Windows XP isn't dead, because I haven't started using it yet. I'm still sucking as much life out of Windows Me that's humanly possible.

Whatever Microsoft has planned, I will stubbornly remain 10 years behind the game. That way, everything will be dirt cheap by the time I get around to using it. I got this Windows Me computer for free 11 years ago and it's still going strong. Only problem is the browser issue (Opera 10 last I can use).

I can feel the impending death of XP and the looming sense of it's abandonment, and I have a premonition that somehow fate will plop a free XP box into my lap as it did Windows Me. And so on and so forth until Windows 7.... which I should get around to using no sooner than 2030, if my current rate of progress continues.

I'm just hoping, for posterity's sake, that the good fellows at Microsoft will do something to remedy the "product activation" issue regarding XP. Because if they don't, then XP will have a shorter lifespan than Windows 98. Homo sapiens are still using Windows 98 and installing here, there, and everywhere, because they can. Not so with XP and it's cursed ticking-time-bomb "activation."

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

XP and it's cursed ticking-time-bomb "activation."

doesn't seem to be a problem for those using a legal version.

Actually - and just for the record - it should be even less a problem for those using a cracked one. :whistle:

;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

doesn't seem to be a problem for those using a legal version.

I don't use illegal copies of ANYTHING, I'm that moral. I don't rip people off like Microsoft does by building in obsolescence to their system.

You know how many times I've installed my LEGAL copy of Windows Me? Probably close to 50 times, on more than one computer.

I've installed my LEGAL copies of Windows 3.1 and DOS lots of times as well. Never had to beg Microsoft's permission.

Windows XP will be more useless than 98 in the coming decades, it will sink like a stone to the bottom of the obsolete OS heap. Do you really think Microsoft is going to continue to allow people to activate XP down the road? Say, ten yeas from now? I bet you $100 dollars they won't. Once XP is unsupported, they'll will pull the plug on activating it.

Windows 2000 and older, will live on forever on old computers.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

unless you mean in a long time from now.

A long time to Microsoft is about 4.5 months. There's too much money at stake for Microsoft to allow potential Windows 7 and Windows 8 users to remain in limbo using XP until they're computers break. Profit wise, it would be advantageous to force those people to buy a newer version. Think of all the money they'd lose by not killing XP for good.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

You miss the fact that the vast majority of XPs do not need activation and still won't need it in 10 years time on the machine they were sold. Pop in the OEM cd, and voilà. That's the economic model of today, people don't buy OSs anymore, only companies still do. And VLK won't need activation in 10 years either. And this thread (a waste of time aniway, let's face it) is not called "Windows XP won't be dead or outdated in 10 years time and WinME is not dead today".

People will have moved on anyway (some people actually do buy computers, loads of them, new, up to date hardware and software).

Reality check. Your friend has a problem with his computer and you're the supposed computer expert. -oh, Windows Seven ? Hum, sorry mate, I'm only a WinME expert, come back in 10 years. :blushing:

You know how many times I've installed my LEGAL copy of Windows Me? Probably close to 50 times, on more than one computer.

No doubt that you have a LEGAL copy of Windows Me. :)

But are you REALLY SURE it is NOT an OEM version?

If it is an OEM one, it may quickly become a LEGAL copy of it that you have ILLEGALLY installed close to 49 times.... :ph34r::whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz