IPv4 to IPv6

Right... This has been bugging me for some time and google didn't provide any relevant solutions. My internet connection is IPv4 and I want my internal network woking on IPv6. I have Linksys routers (E1500 and E4200) that connect me to the internet.. Is this achieveable or just a shot in the dark? Thanks for all (if any) replies.

nitroshift

PS. Steps taken so far: activated IPv6 on both routers and all my laptops / PC's. Limited connectivity, meaning I can connect to the routers but have no internet access.

.... and I want my internal network woking on IPv6.

May I dare :ph34r: to ask WHY? :unsure:

I mean do you have more than 2^32 internal network addresses? :w00t:

Or do you need/want SLAAC (whatever it is useful for)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Stateless_address_autoconfiguration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address#Stateless_address_autoconfiguration

jaclaz

My internet connection is IPv4 and I want my internal network woking on IPv6

Your internal network can use IPv6 (for the most part), regardless of your router (inside the LAN it's typically just switched traffic, at the layer 2 level i.e. the switch doesn't care if it's IPv4 or 6). It's mainly a question of which OS you use. Vista and newer will use IPv6 by default (first, unless you can't reach something in which case it'll use IPv4 as a fallback), and mostly everything should work as-is without configuring anything. But many apps still aren't IPv6 aware, most networked devices still aren't IPv6 aware and so on. So if you go out of your way to disable IPv4 or such then you won't be able to browse the web, use several apps or access some devices as as they still use IPv4. It's best to just leave things as-is.

Where you really have to setup something is if you want to access the handful of mostly useless websites that use ipv6 (you're really not losing much). Then either you need an ISP that supports IPv6 (and only a tiny minority does, like teksavvy around here) or otherwise you have to use a tunnel broker service (hurricane electric or similar) which is quite a bit of fun to setup (I do use DD-WRT for this, a "normal" router would be useless. Otherwise you could setup a linux pc from scratch...)

I've postponed the idea until the ISP's in my country will start implementing IPv6, which will most likely take a loooooooong time.

That wouldn't do you any good really. You can already access the handful of IPv6 websites via a tunnel broker if you need to, but the vast majority of websites will stay on IPv4 for the foreseeable future (easily another decade).

• 5 weeks later...

At my house I have both ipv4 and ipv6 working. My ISP only provided ipv4. I used Hurricane Electric (a free service) to tunnel ipv6 through. I setup radvd to advertise my ipv6 rout-able address space and my windows and linux boxes all acquired ipv6 addresses and worked with no configuration other than my server. Hurricane Electric has great documentation on setting up tunnels from all operating systems. As for radvd there might be something similar in windows if you don't care to setup an linux router. Tricks I had to learn where setting my mtu on my tunnel interface to 1472 as my isp uses ethernet over atm. setting up ip6tables was a bit scary as well. But now I have both protocal stacks and can view ipv6 only sites. ipv6 also has some speedup capabilities noticeable with large files (have yet to use this). Also setting the firefox browser to allow ipv6 was also unexpected. Go to "about:config" search for ipv6 the option should be "disable ipv6 browsing" turn it off.