Should this RAM work together?

gb2100

I have a biostar MCP6P M2+ board currently running 1x 2gb corsair xms2-6400 1.80v. In the bios settings the min ram voltage setting is 1.90v. I was wondering if it would work if i added a 1gb stick of same ram but the volatge is 1.90v? would it matter if one was 1.80 and one was 1.90 since the bios wont let me set it at any lower than 1.90?

Should not be a problem to mix different sticks, just put the slowest one (slower timings) in the first row and the faster one (this is why it might need 0.1v extra) in the second row. When your system is unstable just set the voltage to 1.9 in the BIOS. You could run memtest86 (free and can be installed on a USB stick to boot from) to test if all works as desired.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi well Corsair will not guarantee that mixing ram will work. Each of there ram chip's can have up to 8 diffrent kinds of memory chips used they go by the ic number, they say to buy a 2 gig set or 4 gig or what ever. Next your motherboard runs in dual channel mode which is what it is doing with the 2x1 gig sticks, now if you add one stick or ram it will not run in dual channel anymore, your board supports up to 4 gig or ram but unless you are running 64 bit windows it will only see 3 gig of it.