Vista, Word2003 - intermittant saving problem

hampton

I have an hp Pavilion (intel core 2, 4400@2.00ghz, 4gb ram, 32 bit OS) (300 gb hd – 30gb free), Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0.6002 - SP2 build 6002), smbios ver 2.4, and using Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 –(11.8328.8341 SP3)

I have had the same desktop, operating system and office package for years. Somewhat recently I’ve had a problem saving a document. I have been doing a work around but it is getting more than frustrating. I am receiving an error when I try to save a document that I created when I first got the desktop/software. I use this same document day-in, day-out – it is a calendar of sorts. I pull it up, edit it, and click on the ‘save’ icon. ‘Sometimes’ it will just save – Yea… most times I get an error message “word cannot save complete the save due to a file permission error. [states the name of my document]’. If I make a small change (add a blank line, copy a blank line, paste, etc, etc…) any small change, and try to save again.. it may work .. otherwise, I have to make a small change and repeat until it does finally save. I tried changing the file name to a new name (doesn’t effect the problem). I can save to an Ext HD and saves fine the first time. I can save to a flash drive – no problem. Just gives me a problem saving to the harddrive. It was created on this desktop and never used on a different machine. I don't believe I have the problem with other files but again this is a file i use day-in day-out. Other files I created and saved seem to be fine if I bring them up, edit, and resave. I have searched many forums and read a bunch of scenarios but can’t find the fix for this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There could be many reasons why this file is becoming unusable. I'd recommend choosing to open it, and do a Save-As and save it as another name. Simply renaming the file does very little as far as Windows is concerned. Also, depending on the size of the file, you may choose to save it somewhere else besides the Desktop.

Thank you for your suggestions... did try the 'save as'... happens in the new file name as well... have backed up it weekly to an external drive - would just like to find a fix so the primary location (harddrive) which is up all the time can have quick saves with each adjustment.