slip sp3 - missing files

Hi, im having an issue with slipstreaming sp3 into an already automated xpsp2 slipstreamed iso. I want to use my already existing installation disc as the bases for this sp3 slip. a few years back a friend of mine slipstreamed sp2 and some addons into my xp and made it totally automated. Ive had no problems with it at all except for the odd missing driver or 2 (windows audio, net card driver, graphics driver) nothing serious.

I got inro the whole nlite, virtual machines, and virtual discs, over the last year and after alot of messing around I decided to slipstream sp3 into my xpsp2. Everyting goes ok in nlite except for one warning it says that itmust remove some prexisting slipstreamed files to properly complete the process. Ive said yes to this and no to this several times but it makes no differance in the end. It goes through the process with no other glitches and successfully makes an iso with the added sp3 which im sure i got from microsoft. I wouldnt get it anywhere else.

When i try to install the iso on a virtual machine it goes through the first phase fine copying files for the installation, and it sees the virtual hdd np, so i install ntfs quick or slow makes no difference. Then as soon as it starts to install i get missing file hit esc or cancel. The first one is beep.sys then if i esc continuously it will skip about 150 files. I have the list if needed some examples are noise.enu, noise.dat, noise.ita. alot of files starting with kbdb and xptht04.gif & jpg they are sets liek a bunch will be pro_seg1 then 2 then 6 ect, ect. If i skip all the files the installation asks for my sp3 disk to get files.

Thing is that i searched for those files in sp3 i386 and they arn't there, none of them are. I also searched sp2 and none of them are there either. But like i said when i install with this xpsp2 i have no problems what so ever. I did however notice that when i install sp3 to my installed xpsp2 i cant open add or remove windows components, the file setupqry.dll is missing or indexing.exe cant load. I tried for a whole day to fix that to no avail.

If I take an older xp version with no sp2 or sp3 and slip in sp2 & sp3 those files arent missing, install goes well in vm. So i dont know im lost ive tried this over and over with different versions of service packs with different settings. But always the same result. Any help would make my day.

* just a side note when i tried in the past to make winpe or bartpe from this it also says there are files missing and cannot complete. Ive had absolutely no success with thos programs i get as far as the xp logo loading then i get a BSOD. Anyway i hop[e someone can help and im sure to have more stupid n00b questions. see crazy.rtf for list of missing files.

crazy.rtf

Service packs should only be slipstreamed into unaltered sources. If you want your new SP3 ISO to be like your current SP2 disc then you'll have to determine how your friend changed your SP2 disc and make the same changes to your unaltered disc after slipstreaming SP3. There's no way for us or Microsoft to know what changes your friend made and adapt to those changes to get everything working correctly.

Are there any progs i could use that would tell me what he did like could i compare a normal xpsp3 or 2 to mine and tell whats different ? There is really no way for me to speak to my buddy. Is there any way to at least remove sp2 and start from the original, perhaps all the changes are after sp2. Is there anyway to copy over the missing files from another unmodified xp ?

SURE ITS SUPER EASY [ sarcasm]

Heres how to do it in 100 easy steps:

Get a fresh source of the exact same as your original source (Remember there are several different versions of each type of XP)

copy the files missing

open the relevant source files and add the all to them for xp to rerecognize them. (Dosnet, txtsetup, sysoc so-on)

open up and copy ALL of the relelvant reg files that acompany them (hivesft and so-on)

find and remove all relevant nlite entries

test

redo all steps if you missed something.

Honestly if it was super easy don't you think a guide would be out there?

But then to think about it wouldn't you have a copy of the fresh source after being done anyways? :unsure:

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

OK then, I guess that would be a no...... are you guys telling me that there is no (reasonable) way to fix this ? It might be remotely possible for me to get a copy of this installation that had sp1 slipstreamed in but not sp2. Is there then anyway to tell if those missing files were removed after sp1 or after sp 2. Because if they were missing from after sp1 then there may be a way to use xpsp1 as the base and install sp2 then sp3 ? So is there anyway to tell what service pack those files came from or if they were there before any service packs ? am i nuts or what ?

im pretty sure it only has sp1and nothing else. But ive discovered that the one i made from scratch out of a corp XP with all the packs and addons and themes and after i take out all the components i dont want i get an iso that installs on a vm in 15 minutes and can run smooth as silk on 128mb of ram ! So then why am i screwing with this other one ? Anyway my dad cant find the xpsp1. thx for posting guys ill be back.

If one has download or media access to a volume-licensed source of any Microsoft product, then they should have access to unmodified sources back to at least the last supported version (and as is the case with OSes, all the way back to the RTM ISO release). If you or your friend created the original XPSP2 source via nLite (and from what you've mentioned happens, it would seem likely - those files would only be missing if some tool removed them to "remove the bloat"...), you *cannot* with any sort of reliability or repeatability edit a source that has already been nLite'ed without reverting back to the original source, and as such was never supported or tested by nuhi when writing the tool.

I'm going to save you some time, in as polite a way as I can - you would be best served going back to an original RTM source, and slipstreaming SP3 into it. After that, you can use nLite to go back and use that source (MAKE A BACKUP) to automate the installation. That XPSP2 installation you have is locked in stone, for all intents and purposes, and you'd do well to stop at that and move on.

Lastly, if your father's company does indeed have a license to XP (and includes the machines you're using it on as valid license counts), then you will find he will indeed have access to download an XP source (in fact, an XP SP3 source ISO as well, which would probably be best). I know your goal is to save the pre-existing installation media, but you're just not going to be able to do it.

Thank you very much cluberti youve been very clear and helpful. Kelsenellenelvian i did get a clean source after all i was just ignorant to the terminology and what all these procedures intailed. Ive also figured out how to do switchless installs for all my required programs i just need to do switchless installs of all the non-free programs that require serials. Rest assured though I will succeed regardless of your opinions or doubts in my character......get my drift ? In other words im no longer interested in what you think. Because youve never met me, youve no idea who i am and youve only spoken to me in a post on the internet and already you are calling me a liar. That pretty much sums up the kind of person you are. bye

wait a minute i didnt say i couldnt get a clean one, you did. i said i wanted to use the already slipstreamed and configured one i had that my friend made for me as the bases for another slipstream. Then i said i got a corp xp, which is a clean one !

"Corp xp" is a terminology almost always used by pirates and referring to warez.

Based on your terminology and the laughing off of statements of others I made the assuption that you were just trying to lie to cover your a**.

Please also remember that when you say you work for your dad that nLite is NOT for business or corp useage.

It says so in the license that you agreed to when you (Or your friend) installed nLite.