cannot connect to DHCP issue

FKnight

Situation, and i am fairly new, so please have patience.

running a DHCP on a 2008r2 with Hyper-V

Scope is set to 10.0.0.50 - 10.0.0.100 (no reservations)

DNS is on 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.254

no default gateway as this is a private network

IPaddress is given of course a 169.254.x.x (APIPA)

running ipconfig /renew returns "An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection 6: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I realize this is basic info for this issue.

If i set the ip manually then type in ipconfig /renew

I get this message:

" An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 6 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

"An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1: The system cannot find the file specified."

If you set the ip manually you don't need to do ipconfig /renew !!!!

Did you tried to ping the dhcp server after setting manually an ip ?

Did you checked if a firewall was enable on both the hyper-V host and the 2008R2 dhcp server ?

Sorry to be quite picky but what did you ping exactly (the ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or the hostname ?) ?

If you did ping the dhcp hostname then it's most likely normal.

What are the ip of the servers (the hosted VM and the host) ?

Also believing isn't enough, you have to be sure which computer is hosting the dhcp.

Seriously, i feel like a mechanic who is called over the phone to fix a car by someone who don''t even have a driving license and let alone providing useful information.

• 2 years later...

hey guys,

I am also getting the same error "" An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 6 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.""

My setup is like this...

I have 4 Hyper-V machine, namely:- ADC system, DHCP server, DNS server and Client system and the physical machine is the PDC, all running on server 2012

the system are are configured using INTERNAL Hyper-V switch....

all the system are able to work fine, able to ping each other`s IP and well able to resolve each other when using static Ip address of 10.0.0.X series.

now when I am trying to use the DHCP server to provide IP address to the client system, its not working, error:-" An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 6 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

same client system is able to work when I am assigning a static Ip address with all the other system.....please help