Windows 98 as high quality video player

Sfor

For many years i've used mplayer builds from MPlayer on Windows (win32) on my Windows 98 SE.

I have Celeron 1,4 (tualatin) and Powercolor Radeon 9100L and usualy no problem playing 720p on my pc.

(sometimes it lags when there is a lots of action - but only for a bit).

Use it with -lavdopts skipframe=nonref:skiploopfilter=all:fast=1 in command line (quality is a bit worse).

• 2 weeks later...

PotPlayer is a smart Mediaplayer based on KMPlayer

You're not running Potplayer on Windows98/ME or are you?

Reason I am asking is that you operating system seems to be 2003 and that the only gripe I have with PotPlayer on Windows ME is that I can't access any configuration page in it aside from the initial one and that your screenshot shows a page I can't access.

With Win98SE and KernelEx installed, PotPlayer is launching but images are ugly.

I have try several video settings, but still the same problem.

I stay with KMPlayer (proposed by duffy98 here ).

Very-very light, and images are splendid! :)

I did get a 3Ghz/512kb/800Mhz P4 CPU. It works a bit better than 2.8Ghz, but a quick calculation suggests 3.6GHz CPU is necesary for smooth playback of 1920x1080 video.

I do have yet another problem. How to get a full playback of Advanced Substation Alpha subtitles with ability to time shift subtitles during playback?

The GOM Player does not have the full AdvSubstation support, yet it does allow to time shift subtiles. On the other hand FFDShow does fully support AdvSubstation subtitles, but the built in keyboard command functions do not work for me. I do not know if the FFDShow keyboard shorcuts were ment to be available during playback, in the first place.

Are there other video players able to do the time shift with the full support for Advanced Substation Alpha subtitles?

With Win98SE and KernelEx installed, PotPlayer is launching but images are ugly.

I have try several video settings, but still the same problem.

I stay with KMPlayer (proposed by duffy98 here ).

Very-very light, and images are splendid! :)

I can't say I see any quality difference in vids played by KMPlayer or PotPlayer.

I find it funny that you just discovered KMPPlayer as it is one of the most well known media player that is mentioned everywhere since a few years now. Have you been living under a rock? :lol:

My default player for most video filetypes, aside from wmv it doesn't handle well, is Ges Player btw. It's only in Japanese though and the only english version must be the one I partially translated for myself so I can use it. It's got plenty of cool features no other player seem to have.

I have most of the other good/interesting ones installed and available through the explorer context menu anyway:

snap5833.png

I find it funny that you just discovered KMPPlayer as it is one of the most well known media player that is mentioned everywhere since a few years now. Have you been living under a rock? :lol:

I was using VLC for years (under my rock :ph34r: ) and I was told that it is the only all-in-one player Win98 compatible ...

I didn't wanted to install to much codecs because they may mess up stability.

For PotPlayer, I have a display bug with the 'out of the box' settings.

But in any event, his memory footprint is higher than KMP.

• 2 months later...

Well a few things happened.

I did get a 3.2GHz/1Mb/800Mhz CPU. It works better, but it still freezes with some full HD videos. I had to switch to a different motherboard with Intel 915 chipset and Socket 775, in the process.

I figured out how to time shift subtitles from the FFDShow directly. The trick was too simple, so I did not got it the first time. The keyboard shortuct are ment to be used with both Ctrl and Alt keys pressed.

The 10bit x264 codec is more and more common. The output of such a video stream can not be treated as high quality, any more. The last stable FFDShow tryouts Beta7 does not solve the problem.

Have anyone solved the problem of the 10bit codec on Windows 98? The newest FFDShow alpha releases are using MSVC2010 compiler. Will it work with the KernelEX? Have anyone been able to get it working?

Edited by Sfor

Have anyone solved the problem of the 10bit codec on Windows 98? The newest FFDShow alpha releases are using MSVC2010 compiler. Will it work with the KernelEX? Have anyone been able to get it working?

As I have mentioned elsewhere some time ago, the MSVC2010 clsid builds from sourceforge can be made to work by replacing the kernel32 imported function HeapQueryInformation by SetLastError in ffdshow.ax. I am currently using the thus treated rev4257_20120115_clsid build without apparent problems. I haven't got a 10bit x264 file to test though but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work if decoding of such streams has been implemented in those builds.

Edited by loblo

I decided to update my earlier statements about KMPlayer that CharlesF refers to in Post 32, that I made in another thread. I have used KMPlayer for several years but a few hours ago I decided to download the latest version of GOM Player, which is dated 10 Jan 2012. I admit I am very impressed with everything so far. I haven't installed a recent version of GOM Player for a long time. I checked both players with Memload and they are very close in memory usage ... KMPlayer was 25. M and GOM Player was 28. M. I always did like the fact that GOM Player could play a broken .avi file ... Play Broken AVI Files (Patented). I have removed KMPlayer for now, to only work with GOM Player for a month or two, but I may just keep it installed as my media player for the future. With KMPlayer, I started having the same problem that CharlesF was having ... KMPlayer always wanting to connect to the internet, not a major deal since ZoneAlarm stops it anyway. So far I have no issues with GOM Player and I made no changes to KernelEx when I installed GOM Player. As I said ... just an update on my changing media players.

As I have mentioned elsewhere some time ago, the MSVC2010 clsid builds from sourceforge can be made to work by replacing the kernel32 imported function HeapQueryInformation by SetLastError in ffdshow.ax. I am currently using the thus treated rev4257_20120115_clsid build without apparent problems. I haven't got a 10bit x264 file to test though but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work if decoding of such streams has been implemented in those builds.

I found the thread you mentioned: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153659-my-little-hex-hacks-to-complement-kernelex/

I tried to install ffdshow_rev4305_20120205_clsid.exe, but it does not seem to be working. Where should I put the patched MSVC2010 libraries?

The decoder config dialogs are not working. The GOM PLayer does not find the FFDShow filters. The links to the decoder config are incorrect: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RUNDLL32.EXE"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ff_vfw.dll",configureVFW.

I changed the link to: C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ff_vfw.dll" ,configureVFW , but it did not help much.

----------------------------

I did the same with ffdshow_rev4257_20120115_clsid.exe. But, no effect, so far.

Edited by Sfor

You don't need the files I posted for getting it to work sfor. They will allow other stuff to run but no that. To get msvc2010 builds of ffdshow running you need

replacing the kernel32 imported function HeapQueryInformation by SetLastError in ffdshow.ax.

(with an hex editor or jumper's import patcher.)

Edited by loblo

According to my research the FFDShow tryouts developers do not take active part in the Hi10P decoding development. Their intention was to include the Hi10P code, after it proves to be stable enough. So, it looks like the push to port the newest alpha FFDShow tryouts to Windows 98 is not a good course of action.

The core of the Hi10P development seems to be centered around CCCP codec pack. However, the best results are reported from LAV Filters project.

Edited by Sfor

The 10bit video mkv samples that are on this page play just fine with the ffdshow build I am am using and mentioned above so it seems it's implemented now. ;)

You can use the LAV filter if you prefer of course, you just have more function replacements to do to be able to use it, tested OK in Monogram GraphStudio with current LAV Filter (0.46).

B)

Edited by loblo