Windows 98 as high quality video player

Sfor

10 hours ago, jumper said:

> latest kernelex 20 updates + SMPlayer 0.8.6 (portable)
Using both Core.ini and Kexbases.dll? Please confirm the compatibility mode used. Thanks for the good news!

> MPC-HC 1.6.4.6052 will only install but does not work.
Please try MPC-HC 1.7.5.

> There are a few issues though: screenshots taken with the software will appear as black in the video area and the play button and time won't change.
With what software? Is this a new issue or a regression?

I am pretty sure I used both latest core.ini and kexbases.dll. It was included in 20, right?

I'll try 1.7.5, but I doubt it's going to work considering what happened with the version I mentioned.

This occurs with both SMPlayer and UMPlayer; the bar to change time won't work. UMPlayer doesn't really work besides displaying the video (didn't test options though). SMPlayer will display properly, options works, play button works only after the video has ended, but the bar to change time won't work. This is technically an existing issue, but there are far fewer issues on v20 than v19 any day.

• 3 months later...

If using latest FFdshow.ax with KEX22 then it does not support all ASF formats any more. Up Date ( I did get it to work but partially covering the video made it stutter) There is a solution, WMP11 files can be registered with KEX22 ie wmadmod.dll; wmpasf.dll as I am not using LAV audio.

SMPlayer 0.8.6 works with KEX 4.5.2 on just enabled setting, volume control did not work though, it will play WTV format.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
typo

• 3 months later...

I just made a wonderful discovery! Haihaisoft Universal Player 1.5.8.0 will install and play just fine on VANILLA Windows ME :)
eYtnR2I.png

Unlike using the KernelEx updates with SMPlayer, this video player will do MP4's just fine; skipping to parts of the video works just fine <3
Backing it up here :whistle:

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

~?Aiko?Chan?~, are you sure it is WinME native compatible? Disabling KEX does not work for me as it tries to link to IsWow64Process. WEB sites are not always correct or assume that KEX is used. It functions similar to a skinned MPC. I did not install codecs as I did not want to spoil my system & depended how the codecs are deployed, are they placed into the players location or in the system? How does WMPlayer work now with the new codecs from Haihaisoft Universal Player 1.5.8.0?

When installing LAV70.2 when using later KEX it did not play WEBM videos for me. The solution is to use the updated Quartz.dll 6.5.1.907 for Win2K. It decodes directly from Quartz.dll. The update file alludes me again, I will update my earlier post in this topic to reflect this soon. There are other ways as well of course as I had them working before using DivXDecH264.ax decoder but not sure now as systems have changed too much from then. BTW just get DivXDecH264.ax from another OS if not running KEX as it does run vanilla (KEX disabled).

Edited by Goodmaneuver

1 hour ago, Goodmaneuver said:

~?Aiko?Chan?~, are you sure it is WinME native compatible? Disabling KEX does not work for me as it tries to link to IsWow64Process. WEB sites are not always correct or assume that KEX is used. It functions similar to a skinned MPC. I did not install codecs as I did not want to spoil my system & depended how the codecs are deployed, are they placed into the players location or in the system? How does WMPlayer work now with the new codecs from Haihaisoft Universal Player 1.5.8.0?

When installing LAV70.2 when using later KEX it did not play WEBM videos for me. The solution is to use the updated Quartz.dll 6.5.1.907 for Win2K. It decodes directly from Quartz.dll. The update file alludes me again, I will update my earlier post in this topic to reflect this soon. There are other ways as well of course as I had them working before using DivXDecH264.ax decoder but not sure now as systems have changed too much from then. BTW just get DivXDecH264.ax from another OS if not running KEX as it does run vanilla (KEX disabled).

Yes, I installed the program without enabling KernelEx and included the codecs!

Well, turn off KEX by running HMPlayer.exe set disabled by right clicking properties/KernelEx/Disable KernelEx extensions. It should not run as there are three files that would cause problems not including the codecs, see image from Dependency Walker. If it does not run KEX disabled then it is not Win9x native/vanilla compatible.  It will not install KEX disabled either.

Universal Player.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver

12 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Well, turn off KEX by running HMPlayer.exe set disabled by right clicking properties/KernelEx/Disable KernelEx extensions. It should not run as there are three files that would cause problems not including the codecs, see image from Dependency Walker. If it does not run KEX disabled then it is not Win9x native/vanilla compatible.  It will not install KEX disabled either.

Universal Player.png

Ah shoot! I either forgot to turn off the "enable kernelex for all programs" or updating the kernelex files re-enabled it. I'm so sorry! :unsure:

On the bright side, we have an aesthetic media player that will play any MP4 just fine with KernelEx + Extensions; no updated dll's or kernelex stubs were used here!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

A correction to my previous post, LAV70.2.16 does play WEBM VP8, I had to reinstall with splitter to use WEBM. Thanks Jumper for fixing the install issue with KEX24. The Quartz 6.5.1.907 is native WinME compatible & will decode VP8 WEBM files directly. This configuration used Haali splitter 2013 and QCAP 6.5.1.900 registered but exact reg settings I am not sure. This configuration seems to be not too good with throughput from ATI 9500 graphics at high desktop full screen resolutions unlike LAV70. Quartz Win9x update can be downloaded here http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/WindowsME.Windows98SE-KB904706-DX9-x86-ENU_3120a22628e0848051a2449a878677f.exe

~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ agreed, very nice skinning. If moving directory there are some necessary registry changes. For me it does not exit properly, gets left in RAM after playing, this may improve but it does not switch video or play more than one video and other issues.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Added more info

• 3 months later...

With KEX24 Media Player Classic - Home Cinema vs 1.4.2499.0 can be used setting BASE. EVR.dll from Vista can be used setting BASE. (Enhanced Video Render) The EVR sync has got problems but just choosing EVR is OK. Latest XySubFilter.dll can be used which has better compatibility and recommended for MPC-HC. Check out https://www.videohelp.com/software/XySubFilter in the "All features" section. Do not forget to register file. Once LAV filters are installed disable MPC-HC internal filters of MP4, Matroska, AVI etcetera that are likely to use x265. Add LAV filters in external filters.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Yes I had trouble with MPC-HC 1.7.5 when I tried it. 1.4.2499.0 has got the EVR selection and was the latest version that was fully working. It is important to disable internal Haali Matroska splitter on installing. The other thing is MPC may give better CPU performance. I tested x265 with 2.9GHz single core AMD and as long as the bit rate remains low 720p will just work. 540p should have enough processor overhead and I have used 1088 x 612 or 1120 x 630 24FPs. The anti-aliasing when zooming works but no transformation. The transformation works in KMP but not all videos transpose with smooth curves. It depends on filters used and it is a rare occurrence not KMP's fault. Yet to test Power DVD7 as far as CPU performance is concerned. They have their own SSE APIs and all are enabled.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
More Info, should read.

I'm having trouble with Gom Player 2.1.33.5071.

I've installed multiple codecs (K-Lite 5.71, and cole2k media), but will not play AC3 audio of my MP4 file. Why is this an issue? VLC, Haali Universal Player, and TCPMP player can do it. Did installing multiple codec packs screw things up or something?

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

You need KEX 24 for LAV so it depends on what you are running. Automatic installation of codec packs are not recommended as they usually do not work on everything and offer codec that may not be needed and want to uninstall each other. I will mention as a fast encoder that uses 4 x anti-aliasing is Rududu. It does require higher CPU usage on a decode but was good for its age. If using acemcp603pro.exe to install the filter first time do not tick anything and be vigilant about this, except the 2 Rududu selections. I do not use it now I have x265 though.

The 2 main choices that attempt all decoding is FFdshow or LAV. The source filters are given in LAV but not all given in FFdshow as I am aware and Haali splitter may help here when installed but Haali will not work on all MKV encapsulated video audio combinations ironically. Latest Haali 2013. The players you mentioned that work have their own inbuilt codec. I think that you mean Haihaisoft Universal Player, The reason that the inbuilt filters work with the players stated is that the player is launched in a KEX mode that is compatible with their internal filters which are usually FFdshow or LAV. The exception to this is the VLC plugins but VLC unless too earlier player, need a basic KEX setting. The next thing is to find out what filters are working even though they install does no mean they work. This is where KEX 24 helps with LAV and needs KEX BASE setting so does latest FFdshow. I run all filters BASE in registry *\*.ax = BASE. AC3 filter should be set to 16bit to PCM as higher bit settings like 24 bit are not compatible with the PCM driver/renderer. PCM double is a trap too as it appears to work but not on all audio types. This is like what you are experiencing. AC3 filter 2.6 I have all system types enabled except Mpeg and Vorbis. LAV Audio I have not got AC3 ticked and if altering this use WMP6.4.9 (MPlayer2) to do it as it may not change reg settings otherwise. FFdshow I have Libavcodec for AC3. Backups of registry are important, wind out the number of saves in ScanReg.ini to somewhat more than 4 so that more time diversity is available and make a copy when things are OK.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
I forgot I had filters set to BASE now. Also WMP7 = 6.4.9

Windows 9x is so limited for MP4 rendering...

I've seen older posts mentioning Media Player Classic-HC working. Version 1.5.0.2827 launches beautifully, but the MP4 doesn't work at all. What could the problem be? The application launches with Windows XP SP2 and SP3 setting, but not Windows Vista. For me, installing the ACE Mega CoDecS Pack fixed my problem with MP4 and AAC3 audio on Gom Player and enabled just the sound on Zoom player. But, MPC-HC is uneffected. I believe I've used much older versions (1.2) and found the video still does not play.

Also, MPC-HC 1.7.9 installs on Windows 9x, but will not launch due to missing export UXTHEME.DLL:61. The same error happens on MP-HC 1.6 as well. These later versions require Windows XP SP3 or later.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce