netsh in win7 x64

pmshah

I have 2 machines. One running Win7 x86 and the other running Win7 x64.

I can't figure this out but the command that works with x86 to disable a wired NIC simply does not work on the x64 version. I of course changed the name of the nic appropriately. The command line I used on the x86 was .....

netsh interface set interface "nvidia" DISABLED

this works perfectly.

the same on x64 was ...

netsh interface set interface "realtek" DISABLED

This simply does not work and the cursor simply blinks !!!

I wonder why M$ engineers thought it prudent to have them work differently. Only reason I use x64 version is its capacity to access more than 3.2 GB of ram. I don;t see any other advantage to it.

Any and all help / suggestions welcome.

@MagicAndre

I have tried all kinds of variation after thoroughly reading the netsh.chm and Netsh_TechnicalReference.chm. including the one suggested by you. I have only mentioned the actual command line that WORKED on the 32 bit version. And it does so in less than a couple of seconds.

@IcemanND

I think I will try your variation by removing the name I have assigned to the NIC and letting it default to "Local Area Connection".

Thanks to both of you.

you must set the name of the connection as you see it the network sharing center

I have Realtek Gigalan chip on board and a Belkin wifi pci addon card. For quick identification I named them Realtek and Belkin ( I monitor the transfer rates by 2 instances of NetWorx portable.)

As I mentioned earlier the command did not work with the specified name so am planning to remove the name and revert to the default name assigned by windows, namely "Local Area Connection" and see. Well after all it is M$ Windows, so all is not easy and hunky dory!.

• 3 weeks later...