wajed

I have HP dv6-6070ee

It has the following:-

Core i7-2630QM (with HD3000 IGP)

4GB DDR3 RAM

ATI HD 6770M

It used to have pre-installed Windows 7 Premium 64x + 500GB 7200RPM HDD

Now it has Windows 7 Ultimate x64 + Agility 3 60GB

The PC used to halt with the older configuration and still halts now. No intensive applications running (at all) just regular usage...

What now happens is that some application halt (the one in front) and if I wait some type it closes and the PC continues working... If I keep pressing the computer halts extremely, and I have to shut down and power on again.

Edited by wajed

It seems most of the DV series has had problems with overheating. Of course in all the cases I've seen this as being the issue, it begins with problems with the wireless card.

Does your BIOS have a system monitor option where you can see temperatures? I'd check it after the system locks up and you need to do a reboot.

You can try running a memtest on it too.

Else, keep track of what programs you have open at the time of the "halt" to see if there is some pattern.

From the specs the operating temp range is 0-70°C and most eletronic components doesn't work properly over 70°C if it wasn't designed for those high temp. So i think either the temp is reported in fahrenheit ( and then would be 54°C something that is already very hot for a ssd) or the reported temp is wrong. To be sure, you can easily try to remove the part covering the ssd and place a thermometer on the ssd.

1) The temperature is consistently 128 C-degrees. It doesn't change. Which is suspicious.

2) The laptop doesn't feel that hot, and motherboard temperature is 45 C-degrees.

So, I suspect it's really 128 C-degrees or anything near that. 100 C-degrees is water boiling point.

- Someone suggested that I scan the HDD for bad sectors. No bad sectors were found.

You should contact OCZ as they should be very pleased to have an ssd working at 128°C when its working temp range is 0-70°C.

Does every application do the same behavior ?

Launch process explorer first every time and see if you can use it when the problem appear (this kind of behavior could also be a driver).

Do you have a live linux distribution (if you could test with one, you could be sure if its hardware realted or not) ?

Check if all your drivers are up to date.

Did you check you computer for virus/rootkit/etc... ?

Microsoft is providing at 2 very usefull utilities rootkitrevealer and autoruns. You should check your computer with those utilities.

Microsoft is providing at 2 very usefull utilities rootkitrevealer and autoruns. You should check your computer with those utilities.

Personally, I've found rootkitrevealer to be lacking in some respects, as I have used it on an infected system and it wouldn't find anything. In addition I would recommend adding GMER to your arsenal.

The applications that halt are various, any application can halt.

Kaspersky has a rootkit scanner, I used it, I will use the rest now.

Should I install ubunutu on the hard drive, or is it OK if I use it from flash?

I used Autorun to see start-up entries, nothing suspicious.

I used gmer to rootkit-scan, 2 entries were found:-

unledvbn.jpg

I'm 99% sure it's a driver problem, but I don't know what to do.

Edited by wajed

BTHPort is a service for Bluetooth. It appears that it is OK for this to be detected by Gmer.

There is an update for it

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26736

Possibly what needs to be done is to enable your system to create a crash dump, and manually force a bugcheck (if possible) when the system locks up. Short of doing this, you'll want to note the time your halt occurs next and check out Event Viewer for any Warnings or Errors around that time.

I have tried:-

1)Windows Home Premium x64. It didn't work well. (By the way, on the original hard disk, the same type was (and still is) installed)

2)Windows Ultimate x64. It didn't work well.

3)Ubunutu 11.04. It worked well.

4)Ubunutu 11.04 from flash drive (i.e. liveCD.) It worked well.

5)Windows 8 Developer. It worked well.

So, I'm sticking to Windows 8 Developer + Ubunutu 11.04.

By the way, the 128 C is just an arbitrary value chosen to indicate that the hard drive doesn't have heat sensor.

Edited by wajed