Install order

Sorry, I couldn't find the answer in forums but I always wondered IF the install order of Windows 7 updates matter when compiling Win7 ISO using RT7Lite or Onepiece's Integrator?!? I want to use one of these tools - they both provide an option to move CAB files up and down in the list but not sure whether moving them up or down will change anything during Windows installation?

The other reason to ask this question is when I use Windows' native updater, it installs updates in order different from the listed items which means there IS a background rationale for installing Windows updates and usually it does NOT depend on KB number (the higher number = the latest release).

Thank you!!!

Thanks a lot for prompt reply!

Sorry for being a PITA but if I understand you right, e.g., if I integrate the following two files into Win7 ISO (using either RT7Lite or Onepiece's Integrator):

IE9-Windows6.1-KB2559049-x64.msu (hotfix for IE9)

Windows6.1-KB982861-x64.msu ("top level" installer for IE9)

Windows will chose the installer first and only then the hotfix regardless of the order the files are listed?

In other words, (i) Windows will NOT make a mistake in choosing the "right" file for installation; and (ii) there is NO need to worry about hotfix listing in either of the above integration tools?

Edited by simurqq

MagicAndre is correct, in almost all cases, the latest version of a file is going to be the "winner" if a system has multiple hotfixes integrated offline. However, if you want the installation to go faster rather than slower, only install hotfixes that aren't themselves superseded by future updates. If the OS has to do additional servicing work with multiple fixes that replace the same files, the installation will take longer than it would if CBS did not have to handle this.

if I integrate the following two files into Win7 ISO (using either RT7Lite or Onepiece's Integrator):

IE9-Windows6.1-KB2559049-x64.msu (hotfix for IE9)

Windows6.1-KB982861-x64.msu ("top level" installer for IE9)

get the latest MSU version from here:

this version includes the latest Cumulative IE security update. So you don't need to care about the order of the IE9 updates.