Which Driver Files etc. Should I Use?

Hi:

I've tried my hand at slipstreaming and cab making and had some success after a bit.

I've slipstreamed SP3 into my Windows XP SP2 Pro with the following control card drivers:

1. PCI Ultra ATA Plus & Serial ATA Combo Controller Card

2. ULTRA ATA IDE 133 Controll Card Driver.

I slipstreamed those drivers on my motherboard because my main harddrive was an ATA but the Seagate storage drive was a SATA. I wanted those drivers to be already installed if I had to reformat the drive. I tested the slipstreamed disc via a vmware virtual pc and there weren't any problems installing it as far as I tell.(No error messages)

Bear with me on this I'm trying to be as clear as possible and word this in a way that both you and I won't be confused as heck.

Currently, I've made a disc (folder on my sister's computer) with all of the software apps & drivers that I would like to install on my sister's and my own PC via a slipstream disc. My question is this; I have a Creative Lab Sound Blaster card, nothing fancy just a lower end card one. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I know a little about slipstreaming drivers but let's say that you would like to install more than just the drivers, that you would also like to install the application on the disc as well. Example: the creative lab SB card come with software that can optionally choose to install or not. I noticed when viewing the SB installation files while looking for the drivers that when you first open the folder you see a file called AUTORUN.INF. Can I install that via Nlite? If so would that file completely install the apps that I want? You might also notice the other folders (as if you would miss them) and I checked inside the AOD folder and it has a SETUP.INI file and some have setup.exe. Would I install the .ini and inf files from each indivdual folder and would that in turn install the software that I want? Also, is it possible to incorporate the setup.exe files into my slipstream disc and if so how would I go about it?

SoundBlasterInstallFiles15.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/lapetite66/SoundBlasterInstallFiles2-AODfolder25.jpg

I might also mention that the slipstream disc I made previously was for my old motherboard. My old harddrive died and with it the ability to use my computer and the SATA storage drive which was connected via the one of the controller cards. So, I had to buy a new harddrive and I also bought a new motherboard too. It is a MSI P67A-C43 board which might not be a big deal to someone else with all the newer and better MB's out but is a very big upgrade for me since I will now be able to have 4GB's of memory etc.(doing a happy dance). Since this motherboard is a little more current would the MSI driver disc contain the control drivers that I had to slipstream install on for my old MB or should I still slipstream them regardless?

I really hope that I haven't confused the heck out those interested in helping and would appreciate any help given.

Thanks,

Let's try to tackle these one at a time.

I wanted those drivers to be already installed if I had to reformat the drive. I tested the slipstreamed disc via a vmware virtual pc and there weren't any problems installing it as far as I tell.(No error messages)

Bear in mind that virtual machine software like VMware and VirtualBox do not simulate the actual hardware in use on your PC; only a generic set of older hardware that is easily simulated like "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and "Intel® 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller". Your slipstreamed drivers will not be needed or installed on the virtual machine unless you've slipstreamed the drivers for the specific hardware the VM simulates.

I noticed when viewing the SB installation files while looking for the drivers that when you first open the folder you see a file called AUTORUN.INF. Can I install that via Nlite? If so would that file completely install the apps that I want? You might also notice the other folders (as if you would miss them) and I checked inside the AOD folder and it has a SETUP.INI file and some have setup.exe. Would I install the .ini and inf files from each indivdual folder and would that in turn install the software that I want? Also, is it possible to incorporate the setup.exe files into my slipstream disc and if so how would I go about it?

The software itself could probably be installed, but not by pointing nLite at AUTORUN.INF or SETUP.INI. You mention having some experience in CAB making. What did you package and how did you use it? Please be specific. Assume I am a dummy (probably not far from the truth... ;)).

I also bought a [...] MSI P67A-C43 board which might not be a big deal to someone else with all the newer and better MB's out but is a very big upgrade for me since I will now be able to have 4GB's of memory etc.(doing a happy dance). Since this motherboard is a little more current would the MSI driver disc contain the control drivers that I had to slipstream install on for my old MB or should I still slipstream them regardless?

It's better by far than my year old Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L. It's kept "current" by using it with an old Core 2 Quad and a Radeon HD 5830. It also supports 4GB, but no more than that. It is good enough for me and very stable.

You should only need to slipstream the drivers if Windows must have them to install Windows, such as those for the onboard storage controller if you enable RAID on the boot volume. I would try finding updated versions online instead of using the driver disc though. You may also consider slipstreaming your network drivers, especially if you keep most of your files (like drivers and installers) on a NAS or another PC for safekeeping. That's how I avoid using a software disc such as the one you're using for your common applications. It saves me the cost and waste of burning unnecessary CDs if I can get to them on the LAN.

Edited by 5eraph

Let's try to tackle these one at a time.

Bear in mind that virtual machine software like VMware and VirtualBox do not simulate the actual hardware in use on your PC; only a generic set of older hardware that is easily simulated like "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and "Intel® 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller". Your slipstreamed drivers will not be needed or installed on the virtual machine unless you've slipstreamed the drivers for the specific hardware the VM simulates.

The virtual PC's don't simulate the actual hardware in use like we have on our PC?! I realize that the virtual PC was missing some of my actual stuff like my various USB drives(actually I only have four...two in the front and I think one in the back of the chasis whereas my sister's computer which is what I'm using now have three USB and also four SD slots...lucky her) but I was under the assumption that when I slipstreamed stuff that such as the drivers for the controller card that they would show up in the Virtual PC's Windows XP drivers folder in the system 32 or some other official sounding folder and now you tell me that isn't the case. Excuse me while I step outside to cuss like a sailor. ;)

Okay...I'm back and I've calmed down.

I noticed when viewing the SB installation files while looking for the drivers that when you first open the folder you see a file called AUTORUN.INF. Can I install that via Nlite? If so would that file completely install the apps that I want? You might also notice the other folders (as if you would miss them) and I checked inside the AOD folder and it has a SETUP.INI file and some have setup.exe. Would I install the .ini and inf files from each indivdual folder and would that in turn install the software that I want? Also, is it possible to incorporate the setup.exe files into my slipstream disc and if so how would I go about it?

The software itself could probably be installed, but not by pointing nLite at AUTORUN.INF or SETUP.INI. You mention having some experience in CAB making. What did you package and how did you use it? Please be specific. Assume I am a dummy (probably not far from the truth... ;)).

Seraph...I hardly think you're a dummy. In fact you're a LOT smarter and certainly more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to computer stuff. Okay flattery aside you asked about my CAB making experience. Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert that's for dang sure. Let me tell you a little story about how I made a bunch of CAB files and each one was considerably larger than the other and I do mean large. The biggest was 240 MB's! I kept saying to myself what the hell is going on, why are my CAB files so dang big! :huh: Well, I finally figured out what the problem was. Instead of taking the first piece of software that I was attempting to make into a CAB out of the "new folder" folder and putting aside into a separate folder I was leaving all the software in the "new folder" and thus each time I made a new CAB file not only was it taking on the size of itself but also of the other piece of software too. So, I finally figured it out after finding and watching a CAB making tutorial...again and paying better attention this time around. :D

The software I made into CAB files are just regular pieces of software like Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Faststone Image Viewer, DVD Shrink, CMenu, K-lite Codec Pack(should have used silent install because I didn't want Media Player Classic installed), 7-zip, Peerblock, Registry Mechanic, Revo, Utorrent, VMware, Winrar, Powertoys(desktop changer), Magic ISO Maker, MW Snap, Tuneup Utilities, Adobe Reader 10, Adobe Flash and Adobe Shockwave(worked the second time around) and Java.

The CAB files that didn't work ie install correctly were the Media Player 11, Ad-Aware 9, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8, Teamviewer, and Sandboxie 3.58. :(

I haven't attempted to make CAB files of the Viewsonic installer (that my sister needs as she purchased a new monitor). I'm not even sure which file I would use anyway...the setup.exe or just the drivers???

I also bought a [...] MSI P67A-C43 board which might not be a big deal to someone else with all the newer and better MB's out but is a very big upgrade for me since I will now be able to have 4GB's of memory etc.(doing a happy dance). Since this motherboard is a little more current would the MSI driver disc contain the control drivers that I had to slipstream install on for my old MB or should I still slipstream them regardless?

It's better by far than my year old Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L. It's kept "current" by using it with an old Core 2 Quad and a Radeon HD 5830. It also supports 4GB, but no more than that. It is good enough for me and very stable.

I wasn't bragging about my board I am just so happy to have an upgrade from my old board. Can't recall the name right this second but it begins with and S. I got that board ie the system back in 2003. It was built at one of those computer expos and I paid a pretty penny for it too and didn't realize until much later that I wasn't given the best deal. By the by...the monitor was a totally seperate purchase from another vendor which added more onto my price. Oh well, you live and learn right? :)

You should only need to slipstream the drivers if Windows must have them to install Windows, such as those for the onboard storage controller if you enable RAID on the boot volume.

Yes, I will need both those controller cards because only two of my harddrives are SATA the other storage drive is ATA. As you know most new boards don't have the "old" ATA connections and it most certainly isn't available on the my new MSI board and that's why I wanted a board with PCI slots so I could connect the two controller cards. I want to slipstream them because I don't want to have to run upstairs and find all the driver discs and use them one at a time but instead want them to be already integrated.

I would try finding updated versions online instead of using the driver disc though.

Uh :blink: ....not to sound stupid or anything but where would I find updated drivers for my two controller cards? I'm not sure about the manufacturer. One might be made by a company called Syba but the other controller card doesn't seem to have any information on the box other than what type of card it is.

You may also consider slipstreaming your network drivers, especially if you keep most of your files (like drivers and installers) on a NAS or another PC for safekeeping. That's how I avoid using a software disc such as the one you're using for your common applications. It saves me the cost and waste of burning unnecessary CDs if I can get to them on the LAN.

Network Drivers??? Are you referring to things like the controller card drivers? If not then you got some s'plaining to do because I don't have a clue. Seriously...I had to both LAN(Local Area Network) and NAS (Network-attached storage) because I hadn't a clue about what you were talking about. The only other NAS that I was familiar with is that rapper (laughing) and I didn't think you were referring to him when we are discussing computers and slipstreaming. Anyway, the only storage I have is the the two harddrives that I have; one I use for media only(video clips and music) and the other is used for files only.

See Attachment below and let me know if those are Network Drivers thingys what you're talking about and if so where can I get them OR if those things are slipstreamed into the latest updated Post SP3 addon pack on Ryanvm's site. Or are Network Drivers something totally separate altogether??? Do the latest Post SP3 addon pack by User Hidden etc integrate the Network Drivers you are talking about??? If so I was nterested in one by OnePiece because it integrates various .Net Frameworks until I read that integrating that might have some side effects.

All help is appreciated.

NetworkDriversmaybe.jpg

The software I made into CAB files are just regular pieces of software [...]

The CAB files that didn't work ie install correctly were the Media Player 11, Ad-Aware 9, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8, Teamviewer, and Sandboxie 3.58. :(

I haven't attempted to make CAB files of the Viewsonic installer (that my sister needs as she purchased a new monitor). I'm not even sure which file I would use anyway...the setup.exe or just the drivers???

You should only need the driver for the monitor, but it can be skipped if you're happy with the generic plug and play driver included with Windows. I believe ViewSonic's driver is only really needed for desktop publishing applications where color matching between screen and printer really matter—this is beyond my experience. A driver may also be necessary if the monitor has integrated USB ports.

It looks like you've repackaged more software than I ever have. Just a couple questions: Were the finished CABs used with nLite? If so, did you CAB them yourself or use a program like Add-On Maker for nLite? You may be able to find AddOns for many common applications here on MSFN or on RyanVM's forum.

You should only need to slipstream the drivers if Windows must have them to install Windows, such as those for the onboard storage controller if you enable RAID on the boot volume.

Yes, I will need both those controller cards because only two of my harddrives are SATA the other storage drive is ATA. As you know most new boards don't have the "old" ATA connections and it most certainly isn't available on the my new MSI board and that's why I wanted a board with PCI slots so I could connect the two controller cards. I want to slipstream them because I don't want to have to run upstairs and find all the driver discs and use them one at a time but instead want them to be already integrated.

It may not be strictly necessary when using the SATA ports on the motherboard. Most motherboards have a legacy IDE detection mode for SATA that may or may not be toggled in the BIOS. No drivers would be needed in this case.

Uh :blink: ....not to sound stupid or anything but where would I find updated drivers for my two controller cards? I'm not sure about the manufacturer. One might be made by a company called Syba but the other controller card doesn't seem to have any information on the box other than what type of card it is.

You can sometimes get updated drivers from the website of the card manufacturer. Some research is needed.

Network Drivers??? Are you referring to things like the controller card drivers?

Yes, I meant drivers for network interface controllers like those manufactured by Netgear and D-Link, or those integrated onto the motherboard by third parties like Realtek and Atheros. But by the description of the network resources available to you, they shouldn't be necessary to slipstream.

I believe ViewSonic's driver is only really needed for desktop publishing applications where color matching between screen and printer really matter—this is beyond my experience. A driver may also be necessary if the monitor has integrated USB ports.

Normally, I wouldn't mind the the generic plug and play driver but I will use the Viewsonic drivers as there are supposed to be some special features or something. No, the monitor doesn't have any USB ports it's just a very nice large wide-screen monitor which will help her see her desktop a lot better.

It looks like you've repackaged more software than I ever have. Just a couple questions: Were the finished CABs used with nLite? If so, did you CAB them yourself or use a program like Add-On Maker for nLite? You may be able to find AddOns for many common applications here on MSFN or on RyanVM's forum.

Yes, the finished CABs were used with nLite and yes I made them with the nLite Addon Maker. I know that you the MSFN site has links to already made CABs and I'm also aware of the winAddons.com website. The problem is that most of the addons are linked to Mediafire.com and I don't know about anyone else but everytime I went to Mediafire in the past I also ended up with a some kind of virus. Everytime I have go to Mediafire another pop up windows opens or trys to open and it's usually to a website that has a dangerous rating(I use the WOT; Web of Trust software app for both Firefox and IE). You know the type of websites that you always hear about that install viruses, trojans etc. without the unsuspecting vistor being aware of. It's a good thing that I installed Sandboxie and so when I'm not sure of a particular website I open my webbrowser Sandboxed so if there is something iffy going on at least I don't have to worry about it affecting my computer because it's contained inside the sandbox.

It may not be strictly necessary when using the SATA ports on the motherboard. Most motherboards have a legacy IDE detection mode for SATA that may or may not be toggled in the BIOS. No drivers would be needed in this case.

So, are you saying that I might not need to install the drivers for my two IDE Controller cards? This is the link to the motherboard that I have My Motherboard. I don't understand half the stuff that's being explained but it sure sounds like it could be cool.

You can sometimes get updated drivers from the website of the card manufacturer. Some research is needed.

As I said I know the name of one of the controller cards manufacturers...I think. I will go and look at both boxes again. It's a good thing that I keep my boxes. :)

I just download two files from RVM installer page RyanVM's forum"]My link. I download the two switchless Java installers by someone named Kelsenellenelvian. One was Java 6u27 dual installer and the other was Java 7 dual installer.

I got this alert from my Norton for both Java downloads(see below)and was sent to this IE page My link Which says that website where the file is hosted is high risk.

Okay I don't know what exactly a WS Reputation.1 virus is but I definitely don't want it so I don't think I will be using either Java installer. I will just have to do it the old fashioned way.

NortonInsightJava7.jpg

Edited by lapetite66

So, are you saying that I might not need to install the drivers for my two IDE Controller cards? This is the link to the motherboard that I have My Motherboard. I don't understand half the stuff that's being explained but it sure sounds like it could be cool.

You'll need the drivers for the controller cards, but you'll only need to slipstream them if you're installing Windows to a drive connected to one of them. I'm saying that the motherboard's integrated SATA controller may not need drivers if you don't use RAID.

Yes, the finished CABs were used with nLite and yes I made them with the nLite Addon Maker.

Manually creating addons with installers isn't difficult. The hardest part is determining which switches to use with the EXE. And the most tedious part is testing in a virtual machine. But I imagine it's the same when using an AddOn maker as well.

I know that you the MSFN site has links to already made CABs and I'm also aware of the winAddons.com website. The problem is that most of the addons are linked to Mediafire.com and I don't know about anyone else but everytime I went to Mediafire in the past I also ended up with a some kind of virus. Everytime I have go to Mediafire another pop up windows opens or trys to open and it's usually to a website that has a dangerous rating(I use the WOT; Web of Trust software app for both Firefox and IE). You know the type of websites that you always hear about that install viruses, trojans etc. without the unsuspecting vistor being aware of. It's a good thing that I installed Sandboxie and so when I'm not sure of a particular website I open my webbrowser Sandboxed so if there is something iffy going on at least I don't have to worry about it affecting my computer because it's contained inside the sandbox.

Admittedly, I don't see any popups when getting files from MediaFire because I have had a paid account there for the past three years, but they didn't use annoying popups at all before then. It's one of the reasons I started hosting my files there. (All MediaFire downloads are direct links for me, and download links for my files are direct links for everybody.)

I download the two switchless Java installers by someone named Kelsenellenelvian. One was Java 6u27 dual installer and the other was Java 7 dual installer.

I got this alert from my Norton for both Java downloads(see below)and was sent to this IE page My link Which says that website where the file is hosted is high risk.

Okay I don't know what exactly a WS Reputation.1 virus is but I definitely don't want it so I don't think I will be using either Java installer. I will just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Who you choose to trust is always your own decision and ultimately your own responsibility. I can vouch for Kelsenellenelvian and believe him to be trustworthy. He is a longtime respected member here at MSFN (Developer), RyanVM.net (Moderator), WinCert (Global Moderator), and other related sites. A VirusTotal analysis of his site's URL (http://www.wpiw.net/) shows 15 out of 16 AV vendors give it a Clean rating, and is Unrated by the remainder. A VirusTotal scan of Java6u27_dual.exe shows one positive in scans from 43 individual popular virus scanning utilities, which leads me to believe it is a false positive. Java7_dual.exe is too large to be accepted by VirusTotal, but a scan by avast! AV on my PC shows it as clean.

You'll need the drivers for the controller cards, but you'll only need to slipstream them if you're installing Windows to a drive connected to one of them. I'm saying that the motherboard's integrated SATA controller may not need drivers if you don't use RAID.

No, I won't be using RAID. No, my OS won't be installed on a harddrive connected to a IDE controller card. However, I need the controller card for my ATA storage drive as well as my two DVD-RW drives which aren't SATA but IDE too.

Yes, the finished CABs were used with nLite and yes I made them with the nLite Addon Maker.

Manually creating addons with installers isn't difficult. The hardest part is determining which switches to use with the EXE. And the most tedious part is testing in a virtual machine. But I imagine it's the same when using an AddOn maker as well.

I use that software application called CMenu which works for the most part at letting me know who created the installer (Inno, NSIS etc.). Sometimes I have to do a search on the internet and that doesn't always help as you could see with the CAB files that I said didn't install.

Admittedly, I don't see any popups when getting files from MediaFire because I have had a paid account there for the past three years, but they didn't use annoying popups at all before then. It's one of the reasons I started hosting my files there. (All MediaFire downloads are direct links for me, and download links for my files are direct links for everybody.)

What I'm talking about when I say pop-ups is really a combination of things. Sometimes it's a pop-up and other times its a redirection to different website altogether but either way it's to a website that isn't good.

Who you choose to trust is always your own decision and ultimately your own responsibility. I can vouch for Kelsenellenelvian and believe him to be trustworthy. He is a longtime respected member here at MSFN (Developer), RyanVM.net (Moderator), WinCert (Global Moderator), and other related sites. A VirusTotal analysis of his site's URL (http://www.wpiw.net/) shows 15 out of 16 AV vendors give it a Clean rating, and is Unrated by the remainder. A VirusTotal scan of Java6u27_dual.exe shows one positive in scans from 43 individual popular virus scanning utilities, which leads me to believe it is a false positive. Java7_dual.exe is too large to be accepted by VirusTotal, but a scan by avast! AV on my PC shows it as clean.

Sadly I must be the 2 out of 43 person to have an infected download. I mean no disrespect to your friend I'm just telling you about what happend to me when I downloaded the Java 7 file from that website. The Java 6 file is in my Sandbox waiting to be removed but the Java 7 was totally deleted by Norton without any interaction from me after it informed me about the virus/trojan.

Just tried to download Java7_dual.exe from this website http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/8932-release-java6u27-7-silent-installers/ and had the same result. :(

Edited by lapetite66