Win 7 Pro .wim

Hi

I'm trying to create a reverse integration windows 7 professional disc with SP1, ie9 and .net 4. I have 2 retail versions of windows 7 home premium. I am using this disc to install and then ctrl+ shift + f3, install the updates, run dism, reset to system oobe,

I use : imagex /compress maximum /flags BUSINESS /capture E:\ “C:\Win7\SP1\sources\install.wim” “Professional x64 SP1”

I made a mistake in using my normal /flags HomePremium on the first disc.

I create a .iso with oscdimg, burn it, it works fine and boots into the windows setup program, but then says I have no image to install.

I thought the problem could have been in Autounattend.xml as I still had :

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 Home Premium" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

but I changed it to Professional but made no difference (isn't it just an internal label?) (does it need to be Professional x64 SP1? as thats what I wrote in imagex)

I just remembered my laptop did come with a professional disc so I could use that, but I'm curious as to why it doesn't work with a home premium disc, it should contain every version of windows 7 shouldn't it?

Regards

Mike

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I tried that, but perhaps I haven't! I downloaded a frontend program for autounattend.xml for windows 7 and one of the options was Business so I thought it was still the same in Windows 7. Theres no documentation of the Windows 7 imagex flags on microsofts site, but there is with Windows Vista.

Thanks I'll try it later and hope I don't make another coaster!

Not all Win7 DVDs will have all the versions inside the INSTALL.WIM. You can run IMAGEX /INFO on it it see what you have available to you.

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 Home Premium" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

This is only for WSIM to know where the CLG file is that you build the XML with. It is not used by setup.

Also, setting flags isn't going to mean anything for what you are doing, so you can omit that step alltogether. The only programs I've seen make use of the metadata set by flags is by the RECENV.EXE that is part of Windows RE. This is likely why it was removed from the Windows 7 documentation (although Imagex won't error if you use it). Also the method to create a recovery partition in Vista was more "manual" than in Windows 7. In Windows 7, you don't even need to use /flags anymore when creating a recovery partition.

Createa a Windows Image for Multiple Architecture Types

When you capture a Windows image, you can use the imagex /flags option to create the metadata to apply to the image that you are capturing. For example, you can add a metadata description of "Fabrikam 64-bit image".

OK I'll run that imagex /info to see what I have.

I think I know what I was doing wrong though, I was using my Home Premium retail disc to install and I wasn't paying enough attention when I was installing so it installed Home Premium (duh!) then I was trying to make a professional image out of that. ei.cfg was still set to home premium and retail, so I'll try changing it or not using it.