Reinstalling Win7 Home Premium on a netbook.

Good day oh Learned Ones.

My wife's netbook HD bit the dust and I have have to replace it, The netbook does not have a cd/dvd drive in it so, I need to install both the recovery disk for the drivers and the OS which was Win7 Home Premium. I know there is a way to deploy the OS from a network drive but I am unsure about the

recovery disk. Is there a guide that I can use to reinstall Win7 on the netbook off my network, that is how I upgraded from Starter to Home Premium? I do have a 2G thumb drive available, which sadly is just a bit too small for the iso to fit on.

I need to get things set up for when the replacement drive arrives so I can just install it and go.

Thanks.

Edited by ExTruckie

You can use the BOOT.WIM from the DVD and put it on the USB key. You can make an XML that looks at your network drive for the INSTALL.WIM. I haven't tried something like this but I know it is possible. I am going to guess you aren't using a specific server technology?

You can use the BOOT.WIM from the DVD and put it on the USB key. You can make an XML that looks at your network drive for the INSTALL.WIM. I haven't tried something like this but I know it is possible. I am going to guess you aren't using a specific server technology?

I haven't had to do this yet so I am a bit unsure on how to proceed.

I'm not using WAIK I guess I could. I do have a server that is running Linux with a Samba share. There is a copy of the win7 disk on the server also.:thumbup

I happened to find the converter drive for my camera's compact flash drive. It is 4G and I created an iso of the win7 disk and loaded it onto the compact flash card. I still have room for 193 pictures too :whistle: I will try that first, if not I'll be back to try something else. I was waiting to post the iso creation until the drive arrives. I have not gotten an shipping notice yet. but eta is Thursday. the 15th.

Edited by ExTruckie

Well I got the HD today and installed it and I could not boot from the usb drive so I could not load the iso of Win7.

Now I will try WAIK. This will be fun!!:no: Since I have to go that route, I will use the recovery disk I got with the netbook, then upgrade to Home Premium.

I will report back on my progress.

There is some trick to make a USB key boot so a Win7 ISO (contents) can be on it. I never knew the exact trick. The only USB key I have that can boot a WinPE was made with Make_PE3. :blushing:

For more info on USB Windows installs, you can check out this section which is specifically for such things:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

I did a bit of searching on Google and found this, http://windows.micro...USB-flash-drive

Microsoft created this utility, I followed the instructions, and as I am write this windows is installing.

Thanks for the suggestions, but this is a far simpler solution to this problem than everything else I have read since this occurred.

Edit: I did have a small issue with activation but that is resolved.

Edited by ExTruckie