Unable to Boot any Bootable CD/DVD - SOLVED!

Mobes

Ok. I just completed the cdrom --init. I got the following:

ATAPI device found Data =170, CTRL =376, Device =0(Note: 0 =Master, 1=Slave.

CDROM Device found Data =170, CTRL =376, Device =0(Note: 0 =Master, 1=Slave

Found 1 CDROM (Note: Further read could fail if hardware does not fully support ATAPI)

I take it this good :angel

When I go to the next step the cdrom --init does not need to be done again, right? I will just type in map --hook??

When I go to the next step the cdrom --init does not need to be done again, right? I will just type in map --hook??

Yep. :)

In practice you are telling grub4dos to ignore BIOS provided drives and try to use it's internal (grub4dos') driver for the ATAPI CDROM.

The result (the found CD drive) needs to be "hooked" i.e. made "persistent" in the drive table, or if you prefer until the map is hooked you won't see any (cdn) device, since the info about the found drive is not written anywhere.

jaclaz

@jaclaz -

Sorry, I just realized my last reply didn't post. I'm sure it was a SUE!:blushing: Anyway, I tried the map --hook and got the following error:

Error 61: Refuse to hook int13 because of empty drive map table

Please let me know what I need to do.

Mobes

Edited by Mobes

@jaclaz -

Sorry, I just realized my last reply didn't post. I'm sure it was a SUE!:blushing: Anyway, I tried the map --hook and got the following error:

Error 61: Refuse to hook int13 because of empty drive map table

Please let me know what I need to do.

Mobes

Well, no there might be a misunderstanding. :unsure:

The whole sequence you have to tell grub4dos can be (like Ponch originally posted):

cdrom --init
map --hook
chainloader (cd0)
rootnoverify (cd0)
boot

or the slightly different I posted:

cdrom --init
map --hook
roor (cd0)
chainloader
boot

When you boot you need to input EACH of the above lines (pressing [ENTER] at each one), maybe this is what the misunderstanding was about.

You don't need to re-do the cdrom --init in the SAME " seesion" but you need to re-do it if you reboot.

Once the sequence works, as Ponch originally suggested, you put it in a menu.lst entry and you just choose that entry at boot time.

jaclaz

Ok. I just tried a reboot and entered into Grub4Dos, after entering map --hook (no feedback), then input chainloader (cd0) and received a Error 25, Disk Read Error. :(

Edited by Mobes

Ok. I just tried a reboot and entered into Grub4Dos, after entering map --hook (no feedback), then input chainloader (cd0) and received a Error 25, Disk Read Error. :(

But was that test with a CD (media) in the drive?

Also try using "my" version:

root (cd0)

at least when testing manually, this would work (normally, NOT necessarily in your case) also with a non-bootable CD in the CD drive.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

jaclaz, Ponch - Just finished testing and worked perfectly. Added the menu.lst per Ponch, tested and worked perfectly again!:lol:

So, did this have to do with me changing out the HDD? The BIOS recognized the DVD/CD previously...

Also, thanks again for your help. This is a great forum for anyone trying to resolve an issue and/or wanting to learn more about their OS. :thumbup

Ponch, you may remember, or not from a few months ago you helped me to complete my USB for installing WinXP and Office. Should I edit this to Resolved??

Mobes