Deus Ex 3

Cyker

Has anyone tried getting this to work in Win2k yet?

With the win2kgaming site down I am missing their expertise :(

I suspect I will have to somehow decouple it from Steam first as that seems to bring a whole set of its own problems...

I am actually surprised with the low minimum requirements of Deus Ex Human Revolution...

2 GHz dual core CPU

1 GB RAM (XP) / 2 GB (Vista and Windows 7)

NVIDIA GeForce 8 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better GPU

Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0c OS

8.5 GB free hard disk space

Has anyone tried getting this to work in Win2k yet?

With the win2kgaming site down I am missing their expertise :(

I suspect I will have to somehow decouple it from Steam first as that seems to bring a whole set of its own problems...

I haven't tried it yet but considering it works in XP it should work in 2000 as well.

IIRC Steam still works on Windows 2000 so you should be fine there.

As for any other dependencies then just run the game and when you receive an error then use Blackwingcat's KDW Wrapper to solve the dependency issues.

Just like with any PC game you should really go by the recommended requirements and not the minimum. You could probably get by with a dual core but it's really meant for quad or more.

As for the graphics\videos they aren't OMG amazing since it's multiplatform but they are good enough and not worth complaining too much about although just like most multiplatform games you'll see alot of textures that aren't that great.

Edited by Tripredacus

@Trip - Yeah; It's nice to see that some companies still have competent coders! :lol:

I actually think the game looks amazing; The model faces are nowhere near as well done as Valve's, but lightyears ahead of Fallout 3 for instance :P

Textures and architecture are nicely done and there's lots of nice shader effects and lighting tricks.

Anyway, success! I got it working in the end. Had a little stumbling block with version detection but a bit of RTFM sorted that out.

All you need are the USER32.DLL AND KERNEL32.DLL from the API Wrapper pack v1.9 (And their ORG counterparts of course) and to trick the DX3 version checker, need to create an ini file named win2k_xp_kernel32.ini with these lines:

[win2k_xp_kernel32]

majVer=5

minVer=1

buildNum=2600

verifyVersion=0

I'm running it on an Athlon64 4000+ and a GeForce 7950GT - It is just about playable - Framerates are okay (15-50) but there is a horrible texture load (or something) problem where the game jerks like hell when you first see new things. e.g. at the start of the game, as soon as you start looking around the whole thing freezes for several seconds, maybe throwing a frame at you now and then, but once it gets it out of its system it's pretty smooth (Until you look up or down, then it does it again!)

The mediacows youtube walkthrough displays the same problem so at least it isn't just me!

I get the same thing in Borderlands too...

It is a bit annoying as when I get to a new area I have to spin around 360 degrees like a crazy person until it settles down or risk it happening it right when I hit a timing critical section (And since this is a first person sneaker, there are many of those! :lol:)

For s***s and giggles I tried it on my x121e (E350, Radeon 6310) and it has the opposite problem; Framerate is barely high enough to be playable (10-20fps) but it's constant and smooth; No sudden jerks when you're looking around at new things.

Also, there is a slight input lag which is not present on my desktop machine.

On both I've obviously turned ALL video settings as low as they can go :lol:

Edited by Cyker