ipconfig cannot be run in dos mode

Tripredacus

after installing my nic drivers in shiva, i can't run ipconfig or ping from command. i get the message "cannot run in dos mode." these can be run from the run box, but that doesn't do me any good. i was able to verify the ip from the router's dhcp table and was able to connect to it from a windows 7 pc using unc, so the underlying networking is working. any ideas about this error?

ps, i'm using on-screen keyboard on another pc and i'm too lazy to use shift... i could use caps lock if that would be preferrable :w00t:

ipconfig.exe is a PE executable (Win32), so it won't run in true DOS. The last version I remember that was a common DOS executable was the one that came with mstcpip, as part of Win4Wkgp311, if I'm not mistaken (which could well be the case, for that was really long ago).

ipconfig.exe is a PE executable (Win32), so it won't run in true DOS. The last version I remember that was a common DOS executable was the one that came with mstcpip, as part of Win4Wkgp311, if I'm not mistaken (which could well be the case, for that was really long ago).

I understand that idea, but I hadn't restarted into DOS mode or anything, just opened "command" from the run box.

True, there's winipcfg, too. But there also is ipconfig in 98FE/98SE/ME. For 98FE it's findable in NET8.CAB.

@Tripredacus: Now, something is really amiss there, because ipconfig ought to run all right, from inside a DOS box....

But, when in doubt, do reboot and try again.