Trying to add SATA HDD to computer using VIA RAID Controller

Click Beetle DX

A Google search on the RocketRAID 1720 indicates it does not have Windows 98 drivers.

Still, you might try entering the Raid BIOS setup and see if it has an option to boot from a drive that is not attached to that card. Apparently on this card press ctrl-H when you see the bios screen to get to its BIOS setup.

VGA BIOSes initialize before the motherboard bios for obvious reasons, but I don't think I have ever seen a storage card before that initialized its bios like that.

Another way to solve the C: D: problem would be to get an IDE to SATA converter and connect the IDE drive to the SATA card. I would say that is less of a headache than grub, but finding a converter that works reliably can be a headache too. Be sure to do an extensive read/write test to check to make sure you haven't got a converter that corrupts data. Won't do you much good though if the controller card doesn't have drivers for 98.

With all due respect, I must disagree.

grub4dos is no headache. Anyone on the 9x/ME who isn't confortable with DOS or command-line is in the wrong place.

IDE --> SATA and SATA --> IDE adapters are a *big* headache. Some do work but extensive testing is needed.

A Google search on the RocketRAID 1720 indicates it does not have Windows 98 drivers.

Still, you might try entering the Raid BIOS setup and see if it has an option to boot from a drive that is not attached to that card. Apparently on this card press ctrl-H when you see the bios screen to get to its BIOS setup.

VGA BIOSes initialize before the motherboard bios for obvious reasons, but I don't think I have ever seen a storage card before that initialized its bios like that.

Another way to solve the C: D: problem would be to get an IDE to SATA converter and connect the IDE drive to the SATA card. I would say that is less of a headache than grub, but finding a converter that works reliably can be a headache too. Be sure to do an extensive read/write test to check to make sure you haven't got a converter that corrupts data. Won't do you much good though if the controller card doesn't have drivers for 98.

I have a driver Patch that probably will work. The RocketRaid 1720 does not appear to use the incompatable Marvell Chip.

BIOSes generally boot the Motherboard Drives first, but some can switch the Boot priorities around. In addition to the Floppy. CD, Hard Disk choice, newer BIOSes have a Hard Disk Boot Priority setting and/or a one-time Boot Selection Function Key.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

I plugged the RAID controller back into the computer and started it up, and for some reason the computer now boots by default from my original HDD (just like I wanted it to). I'm not sure why this is now the case. After all, I had always specified in the motherboard's BIOS that the HDD is the first thing to boot from. I didn't change any settings around while the RAID card was installed before, nor after I removed it from the machine. My guess is the computer just figured things out. *shrugs* I don't really care what the reason is though, because the problem is now solved without me having to do anything, and I'm happy.

The drivers I downloaded for the RAID card work fine in 98SE and I was also able to load them (via floppy disk! Argh!) into the Windows XP installer, to get it to recognize the SATA HDD. Thus I have installed Windows XP to the new HDD (which is now drive D) and have kept Win98SE on my C drive, for maximum compatibility (even with the unofficial updates pack, SE2ME and KernelEX, there's still some few applications I need that won't run under 98SE).

So, all is well again. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Hello again.

I plugged the RAID controller back into the computer and started it up, and for some reason the computer now boots by default from my original HDD (just like I wanted it to). I'm not sure why this is now the case. After all, I had always specified in the motherboard's BIOS that the HDD is the first thing to boot from. I didn't change any settings around while the RAID card was installed before, nor after I removed it from the machine. My guess is the computer just figured things out. *shrugs* I don't really care what the reason is though, because the problem is now solved without me having to do anything, and I'm happy.

The drivers I downloaded for the RAID card work fine in 98SE and I was also able to load them (via floppy disk! Argh!) into the Windows XP installer, to get it to recognize the SATA HDD. Thus I have installed Windows XP to the new HDD (which is now drive D) and have kept Win98SE on my C drive, for maximum compatibility (even with the unofficial updates pack, SE2ME and KernelEX, there's still some few applications I need that won't run under 98SE).

So, all is well again. Thanks for the tips, guys.

In addition to the basic Boot Priority (Floppy, CD, HD etc.) some BIOSes let you choose between individual Hard Drives. On my latest Computer, I have some of my Hard Drives in removable trays, including my Boot Drive. Recently I tried out the Windows 8 Pre-Beta. I removed my Boot Drive and let the Computer Boot from the Second Drive. Then I Installed Windows 8 and ran tests. Afterwards, I reinserted the Windows 98SE Boot Drive and rebooted. The Computer still booted to Windows 8. I had to change the Boot Order to get Windows 98SE to Boot. This BIOS will reorder the Hard Disks if the Drive it expects to boot from is missing and is later replaced.

Removing and then replacing your RAID card may have done the same on your Computer.

Edited by rloew

I have a driver Patch that probably will work. The RocketRaid 1720 does not appear to use the incompatable Marvell Chip.

Could you please provide a download link to this driver patch? I want to make certain I'm fully prepared in case any issues spring up along the way.

Could you please provide a download link to this driver patch? I want to make certain I'm fully prepared in case any issues spring up along the way.

There is no direct link since it is part of my SATA Patch Package. The information is on my Website.

There is no Demo to test compatability, but it should work if the Card can run in "Compatability" mode.