Win XP x64 not Formatting Raid 6 GPT Disk

BigXor

I have an Adaptec 5445, 4 Hitachi 5k3000 2TB Drives and they are on the Adaptec compatibility list. Using Win XP x64 after a completed Build/Verify I get a formatting error after converting to a GPT disk.

I have used Win 7 repair disk and formatted the drive, but when I get over 2 TB of movies transferred Windows starts corrupting previously copied directories.

The more data over 2TB I transfer the more directories it corrupts.

I have also used Parted Magic to format the array.

So far this is happening with Raid 6 array, I am currently building a Raid 5 array but that should make absolutely no difference to the OS. (just checking anyway).

Anybody run into this problem?

What happens when you run chkdsk ?

Is it a bare win XP 64 ? No SP2 installed ?

What does ntfsinfo reports on the drive ?

And indeed it shouldn't matter for the os as this raid controller is a full hardware based raid controller.

What happens when you run chkdsk ?

Is it a bare win XP 64 ? No SP2 installed ?

What does ntfsinfo reports on the drive ?

And indeed it shouldn't matter for the os as this raid controller is a full hardware based raid controller.

Before writing any data chkdsk and chkntfs are OK when I format using a different OS then start using XP x64 again.

SP2

Raid 5 will not format either.

I have taken the 4 drives and zeroed them, then put them back on the controller so I can do a fresh initialize. I was using these on a RocketRaid 2310 and don't know if that will help.

I do have a Chenbro CK 23601 SAS Expander on order, but it has not left the factory in Taiwan yet. It may be a compatibility glitch with the drives. I have used WD drives in raid 5 before (had to jumper down to 1.5gbs) and Win XP x64 format and worked just fine.

Edited by BigXor

If you used those drive before with another raid controller, it is likely that the other raid controller let some kind of "lock" as they were part of an array. If that's the case, you need to delete the array with old controller so it will remove the "lock". I had this problem with samsung F1 1TB drives.

• 3 weeks later...