Can't change permissions recusively

avada

Hi!

This heap of crap ntfs permissions start to p*** me off. I want to simply set that I can read/write everything. But its impossible. I set inheritence for all child folders but it doesn't work and I don't even get an error. I try to add a user recursively or add myself as owner I get a access denied message (as admin of course).

So how do I set all folders the way I want. Or how do I strip all permissions and allow anything to anyone?

You should be able to set permissions recursively, but you have left out some valuable information for us.

1. What folders are you trying to change permissions on? Is it a foreign disk or a network share?

2. What is your version of Windows 7?

3. What kind of network are you on, or are these "users" local users?

You should be able to set permissions recursively, but you have left out some valuable information for us.

1. What folders are you trying to change permissions on? Is it a foreign disk or a network share?

2. What is your version of Windows 7?

3. What kind of network are you on, or are these "users" local users?

Hi!

A whole NTFS partition/drive, not a network share. 64 bit windows 7.

A saw "icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET" recommended somewhere else, but of course that failed too.

Before trying to change permissions, you have to be owner of all the files. Use takeown for this purpose.

But setting ownership failed also. At least with GUI. I'm unfamiliar with takeown.

Edit:

Okay I figured out takeown. Seems to be working now. Thanks! Why didn't work when I did the same with gui is beyond me... Just as why it is so messy and cumbersome. In Linux I'd just do a Chmod -R and be done with it.

Edited by avada