Installation of 2TB hard disk

Rjecina

I am not sure to get what the problem is (I mean Submix8c's one). :unsure:

Can't you just make any partition/volume beyond the 137 Gb limit formatted as NTFS (or simply use the 07 Partition ID in the partition table entries)?

jaclaz

I have all of the patches provided on MSFN.

So your board supports 48-bit LBA *and* you're using one of LLXX patched ESDI_506.PDR? Are you sure? :unsure:

Start a hexeditor and look inside the ESDI_506.PDR for the string "Enable48bitLBA!v1.1 by Litty" to double-check.

If that's confirmed, then your issue shouldn't have anythining to do with the > 137GB limit. dubbio.gif

The 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT (ST32000641AS) still uses 512 bytes sectors, and seems to me to be a safe bet.

It's a 7200 RPM, 1.82 TiB, SATA III HDD. There's no jumper setting for SATA I mode, however, so the controller, if SATA I, must support autonegociation.

Yes your are right.

I have used Samsung SpinPoint F4 for example because it is no brainer for everybody.

Today situation with 2TB hard drives is (YES or NO is saying if by default they work with Win98):

Samsung SpinPoint 2 TB 512b (YES)

Seagate Barracude Green 2 TB 4kb (NO)

Seagate Barracude XT 2 TB 512b (YES)

WD Caviar Black 2TB 512b (YES)

WD Caviar Green 2TB 4kb (NO)

WD CaviarRE4 2TB 512b (YES)

in other words if you buy Seagate or WD Caviar hard drive there is need for attention. Today rule is to not buy green hard disks of 2 TB, tomorow.....

My problem with MBO and chipset Intel 865 is solved.

Problem is that drivers connected to IDE are always master in combination SATA + IDE so in the end I am having:

master3 SATA hard disk and master4 ATA DVD.

Everything is working with jumper combination:

Samsung SpinPoint 2 TB without jumpers

Sony DVD with jumper on slave position

@jaclaz - I'm using an NTFS-access software.

@dencorso - BHDD31

Don't worry about my "problem" - Post was just a warning. When I get around to more investigation (using PTEDIT32 and a Hex Editor to "look" at the Partitions/Drives, BTW) and CANNOT "cure" it on my own, I'll start my own thread. I'm like you guys - stubbornly refuse to let a man-made "object" beat me. ;)

Concentrate on OP's problem.

Don't worry about my "problem" - Post was just a warning.

I am not worried. :)

And what happens with Letter Assigner?

Concentrate on OP's problem.

Problem? WHAT problem? :w00t:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072431/quotes?qt=qt0484668

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

Igor: What hump?

:lol:

My problem with MBO and chipset Intel 865 is solved.

Problem is that drivers connected to IDE are always master in combination SATA + IDE so in the end I am having:

master3 SATA hard disk and master4 ATA DVD.

Everything is working with jumper combination:

Samsung SpinPoint 2 TB without jumpers

Sony DVD with jumper on slave position

;)

jaclaz

Since, as jaclaz rightly pointed out, the OP problem is solved, and we now have also a list of HDDs still using 512 byte sectors, we can move on.

And I find your issue interesting, in that it shouldn't be happening. So I'll insist some more, unless you really don't want to touch it right now. My question is: since you've installed BHDD31, you should have ESDI_506.PDR v. 4.10.0.2230 in %windir%\system\iosubsys... Please verify that it is there, and also check in the Device Manager that that's the driver actually being used for the problem HDD.

Hello dear Win9x forum, I have some (perhaps old?) questions:

1) If I understand correctly, I can safely use a PATA HD larger of 137GB with my PC board - that doesnt supports 48-bit LBA - only if I not partition and not format the HD part exceeding that limit, right? For example I can partition and format a 160GB PATA HD only for the first 0-136GB part, and the rest of the HD is in unused state (unalloctated)?

2) If I use a BHDD31 package (and then have an updated ESDI_506.PDR driver) I am under the same limitations because of the my PC BIOS limitations (not support for 48-bit LBA, then DDO required), right?

3) For SATA HD the only limitations are those of the my PC BIOS limitations (not support for 48-bit LBA, DDO required), right?

Thank you in advance and for your great patience.

I41Mar

Edited by I41Mar

Hello dear Win9x forum, I have some (perhaps old?) questions:

1) If I understand correctly, I can safely use a PATA HD larger of 137GB with my PC board - that doesnt supports 48-bit LBA - only if I not partition and not format the HD part exceeding that limit, right? For example I can partition and format a 160GB PATA HD only for the first 0-136GB part, and the rest of the HD is in unused state (unalloctated)?

2) If I use a BHDD31 package (and then have an updated ESDI_506.PDR driver) I am under the same limitations because of the my PC BIOS limitations (not support for 48-bit LBA, then DDO required), right?

3) For SATA HD the only limitations are those of the my PC BIOS limitations (not support for 48-bit LBA, DDO required), right?

Thank you in advance and for your great patience.

I41Mar

1. Correct

2. Correct

3. If you connect the SATA Drive to the Motherboard with a SATA - PATA adapter then the same issue applies.

If you use an add-on PCI Card then the Card BIOS determines support.

1. Correct

If I may, using for the rest of the space a Partition ID WIndows 9x/Me does not know anything about, like NTFS or EXT2/3/4 should give the same result but if needed you have some storage space accessible by other OS's.

jaclaz

1. Correct

If I may, using for the rest of the space a Partition ID WIndows 9x/Me does not know anything about, like NTFS or EXT2/3/4 should give the same result but if needed you have some storage space accessible by other OS's.

jaclaz

Yes, provided that no Logical Partition starts above the 137GB limit, and the other OS does not boot from it or use it before loading it's own drivers.