Problem on Windows 98

KelvinTwister

Three system files were corrupted, and now when the PC starts it crashes and displays the following error message: The MPREXE.EXE MADE AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE CLOSED. These three files are corrupted on a floppy, and they are good, then started the PC mode Command Prompt to perform the replacement of the corrupted files: Explorer.exe; Systray.exe; User.exe

I place the following Prompt:

C:> copy A: \ Explorer.exe C: \ Windows

C:> copy A: \ User.exe C: \ Windows \ System

C:> copy A: \ Systray.exe C: \ Windows \ System

Woe to the message:

Overwrite (Yes / No / All)? _

So YES I type Y and then the message:

ACCESS DENIED - C: \ WINDOWS \ EXPLORER.EXE - 0 File (s) copied (s)

What should I do? I have important files on that PC

PS: I own The entire Windows folder stored on a CD-ROM, and do not know why that is giving Prompt denied access to copy these executable files.

Edited by KelvinTwister

PS: I own The entire Windows folder stored on a CD-ROM, and do not know why that is giving Prompt denied access to copy these executable files.

I am not sure to get it. :unsure:

What do you mean by "files are corrupted on a floppy, and they are good" :w00t:

Is your C: drive a CD-ROM?

CD-ROM's are BY DEFINITION Read ONLY.

You simply cannot replace a file on a CD-ROM. :ph34r:

If the C: (i.e. the target to which you wantr to write the files) is NOT a CD-ROM, try:

ATTRIB C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

and if needed change it's attributes:

http://www.computerhope.com/attribhl.htm

before attemptig overwriting it.

jaclaz

I agree with Jaclaz that your message is a bit confusing.

If you are just wanting to recover your important files, I'll offer a couple of suggestions:

1. Remove the hard drive and hook it up to another machine, as a secondary drive, and then copy the files off of it.

2. If you don't have access to another machine and your current machine is capable of booting from a CD, then get your hands on a live CD of Linux and use it to gain access to your files and get them copied to another medium. Knoppix is one possibility, there are others. Just be aware that you may have to find an older version of whichever one you decide to use, since even Linux has started dropping some support for older hardware.

The Live CD could also be used to get around the permissions/attrib for copying the files over. Just be careful if you do this, as Linux doesn't have all the "Are you sure you want to this?" safety attitude. It just does it, assuming that you know what you're doing.

Good luck getting it figured out.

The thing is, I installed a program that changed the language of my OS (it was in English and I'm Brazilian), then made the mistake of replacing the files that were in English and then I was replacing the files in Portuguese that I have recorded on a CD-ROM, SFC.exe used the program for this, then replace the Explorer.exe Explorer.exe in English by the Portuguese, did it also with the User.exe and Systray.exe.

But it did not work, but before I do these replacements on a single floppy these three files in the English language. Now I'm back both these files to their proper places, apart from the Portuguese language and putting the English Language. But when I give the command at the prompt to perform the replacement of the message: ACCESS DENIED. What do I not access denied?

In short:

- Explorer.exe is in Portuguese and English in HD on the diskette

- User.exe in HD is in Portuguese and English on the diskette

- Systray.exe in HD is in Portuguese and English on the diskette

My goal:

- Remove these three programs in HD that are in Portuguese, and put the language back to English HD

- Error message that is giving to perform the replacement: ACCESS DENIED

PS: Sorry if you have something wrong, I'm using Google translator to write this message, and also by the size of the message. I hope you understand.

1 - The HDD (and CD) are (WERE) both in English

2 - You accidentally REPLACED the 3 English files with Portuguese

3 - The CD is STILL English (it BETTER be)

4 - You mean you have ENGLISH files on a Floppy (?)

5 - You want to make the HDD and CD match (back to ENGLISH)

6 - You do NOT want the Portuguese files AT ALL

The translate is definitely making it confusing. Is the above correct?

You said

then started the PC mode Command Prompt to perform the replacement of the corrupted files: Explorer.exe; systray.exe; User.exe

I place the following Prompt:

I assume you mean "Safe Mode, Command Prompt Only".

In which case, try the ATTRIB as jaclaz said AND retry the Copy Commands.

I did it!

First I had to give the following command to the file system turned a read-only file:

attrib -r Explorer.exe

And then I copied:

C:\>copy A:\Explorer.exe C:\Windows\Explorer.exe

I thank you all for the information.

Edited by KelvinTwister