error when installing Windows XP inside VM

brianmgb

Hallo all,

I have a desktop and a laptop both HP machines,both presently running win7-64.

I want to install XP on both machines ( yes I know about win7-xp) in particular the laptop i want to use with car routes/maps and the software /hardware is primarily XP (32) based with often no win7 driver support.

I have tried using virtual PC ,VMplayer and vrtual box each time I get the same message something like CPQarray.sys is corrupt.

This is somewhat similar to a posting back in december 2006 see

except mijn is cpqarray.sys (i cant remember if the letters were capitals or not),there is also some comment on th MS support pages relating to the first 1024 cylinders but I don't see the relevance.

from trawling the web it looks as though this is a HP problem but as there is no reference on the hp website that doesn't help either.

I am only a longtime user of Win and have no programme knowledge,does anyone know how to solve this problem

thanks

desperate Brian

I have tried using virtual PC ,VMplayer and vrtual box each time I get the same message something like CPQarray.sys is corrupt.

This is somewhat similar to a posting back in december 2006 see

except mijn is cpqarray.sys (i cant remember if the letters were capitals or not),there is also some comment on th MS support pages relating to the first 1024 cylinders but I don't see the relevance.

from trawling the web it looks as though this is a HP problem but as there is no reference on the hp website that doesn't help either.

I am only a longtime user of Win and have no programme knowledge,does anyone know how to solve this problem

You do understand that it is only by chance that someone can understand that you are having an error when installing Windows XP inside the VM (IF I actually managed to get it right).

If this is the case, and you have the same error when installing that XP on three different VM's won't it be more likely that the problem is in your XP source files?

Where they come from?

How EXACTLY did you try installing the XP to the various VM's?

jaclaz

Hallo Jaclaz,

reading what I wrote now is indeed a bit complex.The Xp I tried to install is a cd iso that used to be on my (now defunct) laptop and was fully functional.I folowed the instructions in MS virtual PC and the install started but stopped with the message ""CPQarray.sys is corrupt".I tried VMplayer which has a ëasy install"for MS OS's ,again it started to install and stopped with the same or similar error message.I have tried also to install onto a preformatted laptop with no OS and again get the same error message.The odd thing is that I never had this problem on my old laptop an older toshiba designed for XP,one thing may be important my desktop has 4Gb memory installed and I know that XP can't use more than 4GB.

Anyway thanks for having a look at my mail.I will see if I can borrow a copy of XP from my neighbour and try that,I will let you know what happens.

brian

The Xp I tried to install is a cd iso that used to be on my (now defunct) laptop and was fully functional.

I would rewrite your above sentence as following:

I have an OEM (modified) install CD/ISO for a Toshiba laptop.

This CD/iso has always perfectly installed on the specific hardware (Toshiba laptop) it was made for.

The same CD/iso throws an error when I try to install it on any Virtual Machine (I tried virtual PC VMplayer and Virtual Box).

This way it should become clear to you what the issue most probably is.

OEM's in some cases modify the actual XP install CD to adapt (or target specifically) to a given hardware they produce.

Such XP install discs may NOT be anymore "generic" and won't be able (without further modification/fixes) to install on anything but the original hardware.

BTW, the essence of an OEM license is that it accompanies the hardware and is licensed to be used EXCLUSIVELY on that hardware.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the cpqarray.sys file you identified appears to be a Compaq SCSI driver. Maybe try using nlite or similar to remove the support for those devices, create a new iso file & try re-installing?

I agree. I have installed XP on several vms using both virtuial pc and vmware. I have never gotten this error. You need to create an iso file without the suspect file. Then would should be able to install XP without trouble.

Mark Minnich

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Edited by ExTruckie

• 5 months later...

I didn't understand what kind of virutal environment you are using.

But it seems like, you should have changed virtual disk controller from scsi/sata etc. to ide, after you change this setting in properties of virtual machine it will work.