I can't access Windows Update v4

halohalo

okay some one please explain an unofficial update pack, i tried one and it Fed windows so bad a clean install was in order in just a matter of minutes.

Which one did you try? :huh:

it's been so long ago but, i think it was one listed on msfn actually but, it had to been a few years ago. it wasn't beta it was a revised one. all i want are critical and useful updates and dx9. can any suggest these magical unofficial updates or where i can find a trusted one. also if remeber right there were no instruction such what updates you need from Microsoft or to install on a clean copy, nada.

See what i'm talking about, how are people supposed to know what is right and wrong, trusted and not trusted and it's all over the place. is there any where with like a list or multiple offerings in one place? at least with custom official batch installer with the official updates you know what your getting. CLEARLY i have some research to do. i really want to find an update pack so i can get proper 98se vm and a few local installs going.

EDIT: think i found it...

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

If i remember right I installed it after getting a the first bach of updates through ms, back then it still worked. it borked stuff so bad where a ui button might have said back it had strings of code jutting out of it and kinds of other freaky side affects. I was never sure if they were in place of updates or after updates improving security and such.

Edited by cdoublejj

Go to MDGx's Important "Stickified" Pinned thread. It contains all the major 9x projects at MSFN. There are numerous packages to choose from in various categories.

I will shorten the list for you. For Windows 98 SE, the main unofficial packages are Soporific's Auto-Patcher and Gape's Unofficial Service Pack, which have already been mentioned in this thread. There are others but these are the most comprehensive. You can start here. Both are incomplete and there is overlap between them. Choose one. PROBLEMCHYLD just updated Gape's USP.

Then, depending on how much "more updated" you want to be or for additional functionality, you can go on from here. You'll need to do some reading to determine what other packages/addons you may want based on your configuration and personal preferences.

As always, backup before committing any major changes.

EDIT: think i found it...

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

If i remember right I installed it after getting a the first bach of updates through ms, back then it still worked. it borked stuff so bad where a ui button might have said back it had strings of code jutting out of it and kinds of other freaky side affects. I was never sure if they were in place of updates or after updates improving security and such.

That version of Gape's USP is still used by some here at MSFN. It stood the test of time and was reliable. I've tested that version some time ago and everything ran fine. Of course, there will always be a small percentage of users who will run into issues. Nothing can ever be 100%. You can try Auto-Patcher instead, or a later version of Gape's USP.

See what i'm talking about, how are people supposed to know what is right and wrong, trusted and not trusted and it's all over the place.

Trying to standardize on what is the right way is moot at this point in time. We're all running very different versions of Windows 98 SE on very different hardware. One user has these updates, the other has that software, others have this hardware, old, new, ancient, cutting edge, VM... the problem is Win 98 currently transcends so many generations and configurations of all manner of hardware and software. Let's not forget that we're still dealing with Windows. Something as simple as an incompatible DLL can take out the whole system. What works for one configuration may not work for the next. It's subjective. In the end, it's what's right and what works on your configuration.

There are threads that tried to tackle this issue, but no simple solution could be found.

Whether its official or unofficial updates, either can mess up your system. M$ has not created a perfect system as of yet, and probably won't.

I did update Gapes service pack with a lot of newer files. Everything that I have added is optional. I know what its like to try to install something and getting something extra, something you didn't ask for and not having the option to install it or not. I have invested a lot of time updating Gapes SP, because after a clean installation of

Windows, I would like to add the SP and be up to date. I prefer not to have to install a few hundred updates after a clean install. So you can either use older versions which works great or you can try an updated version which I think will work as well.

I repeat (for Win98SE - ref. post#42) that the AutoPatcher package goes up to Dec. 2008 and includes everything (literally!) that was available at that time except what I had noted. UBCD98SE (a topic removed - don't ask me about that) used the exact same modules except the "optionals" (i.e. non-HotFixes) that are in AutoPatcher. It's also customizable (e.g. you can add/remove items) provided you are well-versed in BAT scripts. I have used my UBCD98SE as recently as the 03/2011, Update V4 was still active, and... NOTHING SHOWED UP (AFAICR)!!!

You might also compare everything within the package (the list is included for each Official/Unofficial) to the other available 98SE packages. All of the official files are original untouched MS packages (ref. "The Complete List..." also maintained by soporific), and most of the unofficial ones are directly from the sources listed in the Stickies. Some few others were "repackaged" (I have the SED files, btw) to work with the project.

I prefer this one, the reasons being those I have just given. (Including using the "method" to create other-than-SE packages...)

Be that as it may, your choices. ( What can I say? :unsure: )

Wayback Machine still has the UBCD98SE topic (FIRST POST ONLY) in outline mode if you're interested (downloads unavailable... his website is defunct) in the gist of the parallelism (is that a word?).

http://web.archive.org/web/20071218202832/http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=88008

edit: Apparently, Feb 2008 UBCD can still be obtained (Didn't support end in June 2008?). Call this a testimonial... (remember, AP98SE is included in UBCD98SE after a fashion).

edit2 - Here is everything you need for an Unattended (no matter which 9x/ME you refer to).

edit3 - DriverPacks topic. (Again, links are dead)

Edited by submix8c

I have some files here on a CD that I made back when MS officially stopped supporting Win98SE, I think it was everything that was needed to update the system that I was running, and other stuff like .NET framework, Netmeeting, Microsoft Agent, Runtimes for programming languages, etc, etc.. I packaged much of the stuff into zip files that had a bat file to start installing many of the updates, the goal was to update a system with as few restarts as necessary. I had a few that I kept separate, like IE 6 sp1, WMP 9, and also had some of MDGx's unofficial updates from the time. I think I kept official and unofficial updates separated. If several people are interested I might start going through it this weekend and see what I have here, post a list, see what needs to be further updated and eventually upload stuff somewhere, I guess having a few downloads for official updates and linking to MDGx's site for unofficial stuff.

BTW, many of the updates may be USA English.

Edited by Steven W

Post 42 has no url so i google it and it brought me back to mfsn where there was an MGDX mirror where i downloaded AP2007.EXE is this correct? i know ie 6 and dx9 can be DLed with a google search.

That will be the last full version of Autopatcher, from December 2007.

It should be a 286 MB file.

However there was a 45 MB update version subsequently released in December 2008, which was the last issued.

You need the full version installed before you can apply the update version.

:)