I can't access Windows Update v4

halohalo

so is 98 truly dead?

Of course not, although Microsoft do seem to be now doing their best to finally sweep it under the carpet.

There's still a huge amount of information on the MS site relating to Windows 98 though, even though the Windows Update service for it has been withdrawn.

Like any OS, Windows 98 will only truly die when there is no computer left in the world running it, and that's a very long way away yet!

:)

I don't think any OS can truly ever die. Even if the OS were to disappear from mainstream computing, there will always be someone, somewhere, running it for any number of reasons, if it haven't already developed a cult following. Windows 98 still has much go to before it even reaches that stage. It only lost Windows Update. Judging from this thread, 98 users are hardly rattled by it. We are still using this OS as if nothing happened.

I've completed a fresh install last week, and for the first time, I went straight to manual updating instead of going to Windows Update first as I usually do. It's as if Windows 98 finally left Microsoft's roof and found a place of its own. I found that two of the unofficial updates work much better than if they were installed after a a trip to Windows Update; KB891711 and KB918547. These two security updates normally places permanent running process in order to function. The unofficial versions elegantly fixed the issues directly at the core, so no running processes are needed EVER AGAIN. Thank you Microsoft for kicking 98 out of the house! Yes, Windows 98 is all grown up and fully independent now.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Foxbat

I've completed a fresh install last week, and for the first time, I went straight to manual updating instead of going to Windows Update first as I usually do.

Foxbat,

What is the URL for Windows 98 manual updating? Does that page contain all the updates that used to be available through the (formerly) normal Windows Update process?

I found that two of the unofficial updates work much better than if they were installed after a a trip to Windows Update; KB891711 and KB918547. These two security updates normally places permanent running process in order to function. The unofficial versions elegantly fixed the issues directly at the core, so no running processes are needed EVER AGAIN.

I'm not sure what this means. :unsure: Can you give more details?

Thanks!

--JorgeA

What I mean by manual update is pulling from my collection of individual exe files that I have stored away. These files were downloaded either in the past when Windows Update was working and then pulled from the browser's cache, or downloaded from Microsoft's KB articles or other mirrors, or unofficial updates which you can obtain from this forum and mdgx.com. I went though the trouble of obtaining them individually because I prefer to choose which updates to install. Otherwise, packages like Auto-Patcher or Unofficial Service Pack will have you covered without all that work involved.

If you used Windows Update in the past, you will have most likely installed the security updates KB891711 and KB918547. These updates placed entries in windows startup and permanent background processes under the same name. You may have seen them before in msconfig and they also show up in Process Explorer. The background process must run in order for the security fix to function. They took very little memory and hardly any processing power, but it was still a sloppy implementation. When Microsoft released these two band aide fixes they mentioned the possibility of releasing a more permanent fix later, but Windows 98 SE at that time was becoming aged under Microsoft's standards, so it never happened. And that leads us to the unofficial versions, which finally applied the fixes to the offending files without the need to have 2 separate running processes in the background.

I hope this answers your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

we it's clear for us to use and better support windows 98 our selves we need an update project, with a guide on manual updating and hosting of these updates. sooner or later if people pitch in we could have near all the updates. at that point some one could program up an installer for the updates.

Edited by cdoublejj

Ι have downloaded all the updates from the microsoft update site. For Windows 95,98 and Me. Shall I upload them? I think they are all of them, not sure if I missed 1-2 but pretty sure that I downloaded them all.

A windows 95,98, ME update installer would solve this problem!

OK then! I would upload them if someone would be interested in creating installers. These are the final updates, since there aren't new official updates to see in the future. I will upload them as soon as possible.

Ι have downloaded all the updates from the microsoft update site. For Windows 95,98 and Me. Shall I upload them? I think they are all of them, not sure if I missed 1-2 but pretty sure that I downloaded them all.

Really? The entire 9x collection?

Before I get too excited though, I must ask this question: did you download them from Microsoft Download Center or from Windows Update V3?

That's exactly what soporific's Autopatcher was.

Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for several years now.

... for 98SE only! Also, I believe it is designed to be pretty much everything available at that time. And the only items that MIGHT be "update-able" are the "newer" GT 1gb RAM "fixes", the "newer" LBA48 (Large Hard Drive) "fixes", DX9, and IE6, and updated non-MS "additions" (Java, Adobe, Etc.).

You would have to get it, install it, and look it over to determine what needs "updated" and how to do it. A lot of work went into it. It can also be used as a basis (the methodology) for the other aforementioned OS'...

By all means, if you have all of the patches (sorted by OS, natch) and somewhere to upload, feel free. It might be worthwhile for the diehards on MSFN.

I have downloaded the updates from MS Download Center.The entire collections.Maybe i missed a couple they were too many.lol. But i would say that the collection is complete. A Win9x patch for all 9x Windows containing all official and latest unofficial updates would be the best think to do.Time and work are needed.

I have downloaded the updates from MS Download Center.The entire collections.Maybe i missed a couple they were too many.lol. But i would say that the collection is complete. A Win9x patch for all 9x Windows containing all official and latest unofficial updates would be the best think to do.Time and work are needed.

The reason I asked that question is because I have already been through MS Download Center, and it is actually incomplete. It is missing the 98 updates from Windows Update v4. 95 and ME are likely to be missing updates as well. But, it is a good thing you downloaded as many as you could. Since updates have been slowly disappearing, it will only be a matter of time before all 9x updates are lost forever. Note: Windows Update v3 is still accessible through direct http address to each individual file (some files no longer work though).

Be aware that every 98 update found in MS Download Center and Windows Update are already included or superseded by newer official and unofficial updates in Autopatcher and Unofficial Service Pack. These old updates do not need to be incorporated as they are already there. However, the individual updates are still of interest to those of us who prefer more control over what gets installed rather than using the packages.