I can't access Windows Update v4

halohalo

Confirmed.

I wouldn't bother with WindizUpdate - it's incomplete.

Just use the stickies here -

Why use the stickies? They are incomplete also. Almost everything over there is not finished. Many of which still has bugs that has not been fixed in years and probably won't get fixed. I hate to say it, but it is the truth.

M$ has left Win9X in the dust and so have some of these guys.

Your best bet is to collect all official updates and burn to a cd, after a clean install, then install all the official updates. Then your system will be up to date and not up to bugs.

M$ is removing windows 9X updates left n right. So get'em while you can.

Edited by Hu$tle

Why use the stickies? They are incomplete also. Almost everything over there is not finished. Many of which still has bugs that has not been fixed in years and probably won't get fixed. I hate to say it, but it is the truth.

M$ has left Win9X in the dust and so have some of these guys.

Your best bet is to collect all official updates and burn to a cd, after a clean install, then install all the official updates. Then your system will be up to date and not up to bugs.

M$ is removing windows 9X updates left n right. So get'em while you can.

What??? The Stickies have EVERYTHING "collected", both Official AND Unofficial. Right up to Dropped Support (your "bug" comment)!!! Did you look?

Particularly at this and this.

I have AutoPatcher and several additional Unofficial fixes. It won't get any better...

Edited by submix8c

@halohalo

I hope more people who are "fans" of older versions of Windows like 98, catch on to this new development about Windows Update. :}

Why can't MS said something an advance of shutting off Windows Update servers for older Windows? :angry:

Now what are folks who use older Windows for various reasons suppose to do now? :no:

I hope someone steps up and sets up a new Windows Update like website just for older Windows (95, NT 4.0, 98, and ME). :)

If MS won't do it, then they should find someone who will and make an agreement to make legal and official. :hello:

P.S. For a lot of people, Windows 98 was the first version of Windows they used (Myself included) and that people have collect A TON of software over the years that costed a lot of money and people probably still have old machines that can't run newer Windows (XP, Vista, 7). :angel

I noticed it too when I tried to visit the Windows 95 Update section.

The last time I visited it was a couple of Months ago and it was ok. Maybe there is something wrong with it and will be fixed. Maybe it is off for good, who knows. In any case, thank God there are all these patches available containing the official and unofficial updates. And something else. When there is an action a reaction follows. So If Microsoft turned off Windows 9x updates then there will be soon (I hope) another way for having access to the updates. ;)

I used to use the Windows Update to validate the installation of patches. Because Windows is "alive" and sometimes something that was good yesterday, today isn't good anymore.

But fortunately, there is another way of verification. I recommend: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

This of course doesn't show what is missing, but it signals the possible incorrectness of what is already installed on your system.

I sadly can also confirm that the old Windows Update v4 site is now just looping between two addresses and never loading.

:no:

I thought it was just me, but obviously not!

I feel that this must be a fault, as MS have always maintained that existing updates for Windows 98/ME would still remain available, and they do usually announce if that sort of thing has changed.

Anyway, surely they would just redirect it to a page informing people that Windows Update was no longer available rather than just making it look as if it's a fault!

It looks to me as if it's redirecting to the Windows Update v6 address, and then bouncing straight back again, so I suspect that the v4 site is still there, it's the detection system that detects that you have Windows 98 or ME that isn't working properly, and it's trying to send you to the v6 site in error.

It's annoying because even though there was never anything new there when I looked of course, it did enable me to look at my update history, and I now see no way of doing that if the page won't load!

Is it worth sending an e-mail to MS about this? Has anyone here already done so?

:)

EDIT

I've just managed to get into the Windows Update site on Windows 98 using Opera, as you can tell Opera to mask itself as Internet Explorer.

This time it didn't bounce back to another address, but what I'm seeing may actually be the v6 Windows Update site not the v4 one.

As it relies on ActiveX controls, which Opera doesn't support, I can't go any further to check.

Edited by Dave-H