Monitor not turned off while computer is locked

xerces8

Hi!

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 in a domain.

I noticed that when I lock the PC (ctrl-alt-del , "Lock Computer", or just WINDOWS-L), then the monitor never goes to sleep.

In the Control Panel / Power Options I have set it to go off after 20 minutes. ("Always On" profile).

powercfg /q confirms:

Name Always On

Numerical ID 3

Turn off monitor (AC) After 20 mins

Turn off monitor (DC) After 15 mins

Any idea?

It is a laptop on a dock and one extra external monitor connected. The laptops monitor is the one never turned off. I turn the external monitor off by its switch, so I don't know, if Windows turns it off or not. I'll check next time.

Regards,

David

It could just about be anything. Drivers, update applications, USB/wireless peripherials, screensavers, etc have all been known to cause issues with power management. I'd recommend updating all of your drivers and then step through the running processes/services/apps/desktop settings to see if they have any impact on the issue.

How is your notebook set up to use this monitor? By saying that both are on, you can either be using an extended or cloned display.

My notebook will turn its screen off as soon as I connect an external monitor to it, so the behaviour is different than in your case.

Funny, I set the timeout to 3 minutes, and now it works. Both in normal mode or if I lock the PC.

I set the time back to a normal value (30 minutes, before it was 20) and hope it will work from now on.