Animation Software and Drawing Application for Win 9x?

Bracamonte

Here are some professional level programs; Macromedia Flash MX, Adobe Illustrator 10, and Corel Draw 11. These are for 98SE/ME. For 95, you'll need to drop down a few versions.

Edited by Foxbat

Photoshop 7. Older versions of Painter. As for animation, it depends on the type. I don't know about 2D animation, but 3dsmax 5 works, as does Blender (not sure if current version, though).

PhotoPlus 5 is a good image editing program that works on Windows 95. It's free, but you have to register at their website to get a key (just select PhotoPlus 5.5). You'll have to use The Wayback Machine to download it from this URL. Don't forget to get the extra filters that enable it to export to more image formats.

• 1 year later...

I've never used photo-shop. What I do use is PhotoPaint - which is Corel's photo editing program. I'm a long-time user of Coreldraw version 9 (didn't know that version 11 can run on win-98). The OP doesn't seem to be asking about photo-editing (but many of the responses here are focusing on photo-editing). The OP is asking about a drawing program (which naturally CorelDraw is). Does Photoshop also function as a drawing program?

Edited by Nomen

The CorelDraw Suites have always been nice packages because of the massive amount of things they can do from vector to raster to animation and more.

Versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 all will run on Win9x with some caveats. Font handling on Win9x sucks ( limited to ~500 I believe ), so you need to install stuff like a Corel suite carefully, de-selecting all fonts. Even then a few still get registered and require manual editing of the Fonts registry key to correct bad paths. Also, All of the suites are registry hogs, and if your Win9x system is right at the limit with a large registry it might push it over the edge into BSOD territory. Of course, all things being relative, you can even more quickly kill the Win9x registry by installing something like the platform SDK and some other related tools that exceed Corel by a mile. If you have a fast computer, lots of memory and a normal or small registry then Corel will be fine though.

I know that Jasc Paint Shop ( version 7 and 8 ) and Animation Shop also run on Win9x.

MediaChance RealDraw and its sibling programs also work with some specific versions. Ulead had some programs as well.

Microsoft also had a basic GIF Animator that worked on Win9x but I am not sure if that is what you were looking for.

Pretty sure all Photoshops worked until the first CS, but I'd let someone else verify that first.

EDIT: typos

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

I've never used photo-shop. What I do use is PhotoPaint - which is Corel's photo editing program. I'm a long-time user of Coreldraw version 9 (didn't know that version 11 can run on win-98). The OP doesn't seem to be asking about photo-editing (but many of the responses here are focusing on photo-editing). The OP is asking about a drawing program (which naturally CorelDraw is). Does Photoshop also function as a drawing program?

Yes, it has brush/pen/erase, etc. tools

While unrelated to Win9x, this might be of interest to others ( Win2k, WinXP ... )

Adobe releases Creative Suite 2 for free [update: Site is back!] ( NeoWin 2013-01-08 )

It seems at first glance that this Suite ( I think with Photoshop 9 ) might be free now. Many commenters and the author say yes, but there are some that say no.